There are 269 users in the forums

World cup qualifiers

Crazy49er1313, thank you for the comment, if you actually make that comment on my blog entry I would be eternally grateful

As far as Ivory Coast over Portugal, the chances are legit IMO. In this early prediction I have them on a 1-1 tie because what I expect from that matchup is the speed and physicality of The Elephants (I do believe that's their nickname) against the overall talent and wisdom of the Portuguese, and I really don't see either team pulling away in this game (at least not right now anyways)

The results of European qualifying are more accessible to fans, so it's easy to make a case against Portugal based on how much they struggled in their group, but they had a pretty tough group with Denmark (group winner), Sweden, and Hungary (not a pushover by any means). Ivory Coast on the other hand had a relatively easy group with Mozambique (only real competition), Madagascar, and Botswana yet they had to settle for ties in every road game so they were far from dominant.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by Conejo:
if the World Cup started tomorrow ...

im an italian fan and I doubt that. in his bracket the Netherlands game might be a loss and Germany probably would be if they made it that far.

we just aren't as good as previous years. Germany should be a favorite in this Cup, they are damn good.

oh, haha well then I'd have to disagree with you. Italy just isn't as good as they used to be. They are aged and will need to start rebuilding soon.

Although I'm glad you picked my team

you have a point, if you'd like, you could post that comment on my blog entry (sometimes the 1st comment is the hardest to get)

also, if you follow my bracket, who wins? Germany?

Ya like I said Germany has to be a decent favorite for this cup imo. They are solid up and down the field.

The U.S. has to hope to place first in their group to avoid playing Germany, which is possible since England isn't nearly the team they used to be. I also like your Nigeria over France pick, might not happen, but I agree that France is a little weak this year.

Have to disagree with you here. England has all kinds of talent, it just took a world-class coach like Capello to figure out how to get them to work together. The use of Gerrard on the left to hide their lack of a quality winger has worked extremely well, especially his combination play with Rooney.

Looking back through their qualifying results, they didn't play anyone very good, but they've looked far more dominant under Capello than they have in a long long time. I honestly think they're my favorite to win the Cup this year.
Originally posted by Riot:
if the World Cup started tomorrow ...

im an italian fan and I doubt that. in his bracket the Netherlands game might be a loss and Germany probably would be if they made it that far.

we just aren't as good as previous years. Germany should be a favorite in this Cup, they are damn good.

oh, haha well then I'd have to disagree with you. Italy just isn't as good as they used to be. They are aged and will need to start rebuilding soon.

Although I'm glad you picked my team

you have a point, if you'd like, you could post that comment on my blog entry (sometimes the 1st comment is the hardest to get)

also, if you follow my bracket, who wins? Germany?

Ya like I said Germany has to be a decent favorite for this cup imo. They are solid up and down the field.

The U.S. has to hope to place first in their group to avoid playing Germany, which is possible since England isn't nearly the team they used to be. I also like your Nigeria over France pick, might not happen, but I agree that France is a little weak this year.

Have to disagree with you here. England has all kinds of talent, it just took a world-class coach like Capello to figure out how to get them to work together. The use of Gerrard on the left to hide their lack of a quality winger has worked extremely well, especially his combination play with Rooney.

Looking back through their qualifying results, they didn't play anyone very good, but they've looked far more dominant under Capello than they have in a long long time. I honestly think they're my favorite to win the Cup this year.

If England avoids Brazil then they might have a chance (Maybe need to avoid Spain too, but they definitely match up well against the rest of Europe). They have been playing better, but I have a strange feeling England will tie the US in the first game 1-1. Many of the US's top players play in Premiere, so it's prolly the best matchup they could start with for familiarity sake (not to mention the US gets to keep up it's underdog role).

I'm hoping the US places 1st and England 2nd. England matches well against Germany, and the US would thrive in the road game vs Ghana (no way the Aussies outplay Ghana).

I respect England, but due to my Irish roots, I hope they lose every game....lol
Everyone overlooking Spain... they will take it home this year.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalfan21:

After Brazil and Germany I think they are the top contender.

But you are right they are getting looked over and I think it is because of what the US did to them at the Conf. Cup, as well as their history of underachieving.

They did win the Euros not so long ago and might have more talent than any team out there so they should do well.
Originally posted by dman:

After Brazil and Germany I think they are the top contender.

But you are right they are getting looked over and I think it is because of what the US did to them at the Conf. Cup, as well as their history of underachieving.

They did win the Euros not so long ago and might have more talent than any team out there so they should do well.

I have them in the semifinals

They will win it all.

They will win it all.

I don't see it:

1) It's all but a fact Italy will be #1 in their group.

Spain has a better shot if my bracket actually falls through than if they finish #1 in their group.

If they finish #1 they have to play Portugal/Ivory Coast (maybe Brazil?) in round of 16 then possibly have to beat Italy and Germany to reach the finals.

I think that's asking for a little too much.

[ Edited by Conejo on Dec 10, 2009 at 11:27:15 ]

They will win it all.

I don't see it:

Spain has a better shot if my bracket actually falls through than if they finish #1 in their group.

If they finish #1 they have to play Portugal/Ivory Coast (maybe Brazil?) in round of 16 then possibly have to beat Italy and Germany to reach the finals.

They will win it all.

I don't see it:

Spain does have a shot if it is against Italy, but I do agree that the wear down from their path would eventually lead to them losing before making the finals. They have the team, but their path of either Portugal/Ivory Coast in round of 16 to Italy and Germany in the later rounds would be too much to take on for any squad.

There is a flip side, though. They will have a relatively easy Group round (Chile, Honduras, and the Swiss can play, but not up to Spain's level) and most likely will be rested for the round of 16. Playing the 2nd seed of the Group of death (Portugal/Ivory Coast) might actually be easier b/c they will all be playing so hard to advance that they'll be too tired to face a pretty well rested Spain. After that, anything can happen from the quarters on, and with their strong halfback play and veteran experience with their fullbacks, who knows...
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

They will win it all.

I don't see it:

Spain does have a shot if it is against Italy, but I do agree that the wear down from their path would eventually lead to them losing before making the finals. They have the team, but their path of either Portugal/Ivory Coast in round of 16 to Italy and Germany in the later rounds would be too much to take on for any squad.

There is a flip side, though. They will have a relatively easy Group round (Chile, Honduras, and the Swiss can play, but not up to Spain's level) and most likely will be rested for the round of 16. Playing the 2nd seed of the Group of death (Portugal/Ivory Coast) might actually be easier b/c they will all be playing so hard to advance that they'll be too tired to face a pretty well rested Spain. After that, anything can happen from the quarters on, and with their strong halfback play and veteran experience with their fullbacks, who knows...

I think Senna is the key ... Im not sure if he is in form right now becuase he is gettinng up there in age ... but IMO he was their most valuable player at the Euros.
Originally posted by dman:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

They will win it all.

I don't see it:

I think Senna is the key ... Im not sure if he is in form right now becuase he is gettinng up there in age ... but IMO he was their most valuable player at the Euros.

I especially liked him in the finals, but do understand his importance for the team. I think his leadership will play more of an importance than his physical abilities due to his presence. Hopefully will strengthen up their defensive play.
USA USA USA USA!!!

Ef everyone else.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
USA USA USA USA!!!

Ef everyone else.

ghana b***h
Share 49ersWebzone