LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

World cup qualifiers

GO SOUTH KOREA
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Our group is stuff. Lots of people praising the Ivory Coast. Outside of Drogba i have no idea who else is on that team. The Brazil match is gonna be hard. We played them this past summer and they put 6 on us

BUT I BELIEVE!

Força Portugal!

• dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickV:
Our group is stuff. Lots of people praising the Ivory Coast. Outside of Drogba i have no idea who else is on that team. The Brazil match is gonna be hard. We played them this past summer and they put 6 on us

Be afraid ...

if the World Cup started tomorrow ...
Originally posted by Conejo:

im an italian fan and I doubt that. in his bracket the Netherlands game might be a loss and Germany probably would be if they made it that far.

we just aren't as good as previous years. Germany should be a favorite in this Cup, they are damn good.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

im an italian fan and I doubt that. in his bracket the Netherlands game might be a loss and Germany probably would be if they made it that far.

we just aren't as good as previous years. Germany should be a favorite in this Cup, they are damn good.

oh, haha well then I'd have to disagree with you. Italy just isn't as good as they used to be. They are aged and will need to start rebuilding soon.

Although I'm glad you picked my team

[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Dec 6, 2009 at 18:44:35 ]

oh, haha well then I'd have to disagree with you. Italy just isn't as good as they used to be. They are aged and will need to start rebuilding soon.

you have a point, if you'd like, you could post that comment on my blog entry (sometimes the 1st comment is the hardest to get)

also, if you follow my bracket, who wins? Germany?

you have a point, if you'd like, you could post that comment on my blog entry (sometimes the 1st comment is the hardest to get)

Ya like I said Germany has to be a decent favorite for this cup imo. They are solid up and down the field.

The U.S. has to hope to place first in their group to avoid playing Germany, which is possible since England isn't nearly the team they used to be. I also like your Nigeria over France pick, might not happen, but I agree that France is a little weak this year.

Ya like I said Germany has to be a decent favorite for this cup imo. They are solid up and down the field.

The U.S. has to hope to place first in their group to avoid playing Germany, which is possible since England isn't nearly the team they used to be. I also like your Nigeria over France pick, might not happen, but I agree that France is a little weak this year.

for the comment on the entry

I do like the guy's bracket, but I don't think there's anyway italy wins. Sure, Spain, Germany, Italy, and England are always strong, and I do like how he has Nigeria making it so far (though finals seems a little too far), but how can you pick against Brazil?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a US fan (since 1993, and rep it proudly!!!) and feel if they can avoid Germany (US-style of play cannot beat Germany without paying off the refs and getting lucky, lol), they match up well against any south american team (outside of Brazil) or any of the African teams and could make semis.

Anyway (sorry for sidetracking), Brazil is the cream of the crop and don't see any team beating them. Last WC, the front line was basically young in Kaka and Ronhaldino, but they're more mature, have a strong halfback group for their 2-5-3, and of course Top 3 goalie in the world. I predict Brazil winning it all, but always hope for the US upset!!!!
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

I do like the guy's bracket, but I don't think there's anyway italy wins. Sure, Spain, Germany, Italy, and England are always strong, and I do like how he has Nigeria making it so far (though finals seems a little too far), but how can you pick against Brazil?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a US fan (since 1993, and rep it proudly!!!) and feel if they can avoid Germany (US-style of play cannot beat Germany without paying off the refs and getting lucky, lol), they match up well against any south american team (outside of Brazil) or any of the African teams and could make semis.

Anyway (sorry for sidetracking), Brazil is the cream of the crop and don't see any team beating them. Last WC, the front line was basically young in Kaka and Ronhaldino, but they're more mature, have a strong halfback group for their 2-5-3, and of course Top 3 goalie in the world. I predict Brazil winning it all, but always hope for the US upset!!!!

good call on Brazil. I don't have them winning it all because of their round of 16 matchup vs Spain, their midfield is crazy good and I think that is what would make the difference in that matchup.

If they actually won that matchup, I'd actually have them winning it all plowing over Cameroon and Nigeria and beating Italy in the finals in a close one
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

good call on Brazil. I don't have them winning it all because of their round of 16 matchup vs Spain, their midfield is crazy good and I think that is what would make the difference in that matchup.

If they actually won that matchup, I'd actually have them winning it all plowing over Cameroon and Nigeria and beating Italy in the finals in a close one

That's very true about Spain, but after the loss to the US in Confederations, I think Brazil sees the blueprint to beat them (speed up the sides with the forwards and strong fullback play) and will execute on the big stage. I love Spain (my second favorite team) because of their excellence with halfback play and strong fullback use, but I have this distain for Torres, especially after his lackluster performance in the Euro Cup and overall hype as this "tremendous" forward.

Let me ask you, what are the chances of Ivory Coast advancing over portugal? Portugal has been playing uninspired and the Ivory coast is playing in front of basically a "home" crowd. I feel due to Portugal's inability to become inspired to play and Cristano Ronaldo's need to be paid to have the urge to play (glad he left ManU, I like Berbatov more anyway), Ivory Coast could pull off the upset. I do agree that Ivory Coast only has one good player, but at least he WANTS to play for his country.

Also, since I can see you have much more futbol knowledge than I do and it's nice to talk to someone who appears to be nonbiased , how do you feel about Ghana's chances? The "home" field advantage seems good, but their speed just boggles my mind and after their under-20 WC performance I see them becoming a huge threat in the near future if they can improve their goalie play.

Thanks for all your great analysis and look forward to so much sh*t talking during the WC this summer...

WHY CAN'T IT BE JUNE ALREADY!?!?!?!
  • dman
  • Veteran
Ivory Coast has one good player?

Drogba, Kalou, Eboue, Yaya Toure and his brother Kolo ... there is serious talent here that has excelled at the biggest clubs in Europe.

I do agree that Cote de Voire takes down Portugal.
Originally posted by dman:
Ivory Coast has one good player?

Drogba, Kalou, Eboue, Yaya Toure and his brother Kolo ... there is serious talent here that has excelled at the biggest clubs in Europe.

I do agree that Cote de Voire takes down Portugal.

I only meant in comparison to Portugal on paper. I personally see Brazil and Ivory advancing in the Group of Death, unless somehow Ronaldo becomes a patriot and inspires his team. If that happens, everyone better watch out b/c lava will turn to ice, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone