There are 265 users in the forums

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Jamie Moyer

I'm a Giants fan but the dude from KC gets the nod.
Originally posted by valrod33:
next decade Grienke

Originally posted by SLICK:
Tough call between Lincecum and Greinke. Price, Hanson, Stratsburg have done little so far in the Majors, although Price dominated the Playoffs last year so he's a notch above the other 2 IMO. There's something about Stratsburg that makes me leary on him, not sure what it is.

im with you on this

Yep.. there is a lot to be leary about. Such as:
* a fastball that has topped out at 103 MPH - yes 103!
* an era of 1.27 with hitters batting .172 against him
* a guy who struck out 23 hitters in 1 game AND....
* A guy who stuck out 17 guys in another and threw a no hitter
* a guy who has struck out close to 2 guys PER INNING in his college career
* being the only collegian who played in the Olympics and had a 1.64 era and 1 hit the Netherlands over 7 innings
* a pitcher whose strikeout to walk ratio was 195 to 19

Yep.. a lot to be weary of....
either zack or timmy
Actual MLB performance > MLB potential

Timmy > Strasburg
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Timmy > Strasburg

THIS c'mon john, you act as though no high prospect in baseball has ever been a bust

As great as Strasburg has been in college (it won't matter how many stats you throw here) it's a little bit ridiculous to take him over some of the guys in this poll. YOU as a GM wouldn't take him over Timmy if presented with the opportunity, it's such an unnecessary risk.

Let's wait and see how the guy fares in MLB before we place his jock on a silver platter. Lincecum's still my choice here
Hamels
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Conejo:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Timmy > Strasburg

THIS c'mon john, you act as though no high prospect in baseball has ever been a bust

As great as Strasburg has been in college (it won't matter how many stats you throw here) it's a little bit ridiculous to take him over some of the guys in this poll. YOU as a GM wouldn't take him over Timmy if presented with the opportunity, it's such an unnecessary risk.

Let's wait and see how the guy fares in MLB before we place his jock on a silver platter. Lincecum's still my choice here

So true! To be honest I don't think its close. Lincecum by a mile. Cy young award winner or a guy who hasn't even played in the pros yet.
Not to mention Strasburg was a fattie previous to coming to SDSU. He's still new to all this domination. Timmy has dominated at every level. Lets see if Strasburg has the make up and moxie to throw like the badass that Timmy has always been.

• SF4eva15
  • Info N/A
1) Lincecum
2) Greinke
3) Billingsley
4) Price
5) Strasburg
Sidd Finch
  • SLICK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SLICK:
Tough call between Lincecum and Greinke. Price, Hanson, Stratsburg have done little so far in the Majors, although Price dominated the Playoffs last year so he's a notch above the other 2 IMO. There's something about Stratsburg that makes me leary on him, not sure what it is.

im with you on this

Yep.. there is a lot to be leary about. Such as:
* a fastball that has topped out at 103 MPH - yes 103!
* an era of 1.27 with hitters batting .172 against him
* a guy who struck out 23 hitters in 1 game AND....
* A guy who stuck out 17 guys in another and threw a no hitter
* a guy who has struck out close to 2 guys PER INNING in his college career
* being the only collegian who played in the Olympics and had a 1.64 era and 1 hit the Netherlands over 7 innings
* a pitcher whose strikeout to walk ratio was 195 to 19

Yep.. a lot to be weary of....

I missed his MAJOR league stats.....please. 103 is good and all, but does he have another pitch? Is it straight down the middle?

Not to mention he's a National. At a minimum, he's got Howard/Hanley/Utley/Wright for the next 7-10 years in his division. I'm not gonna buy the hype till he does it against major leaguers.

Like Ron said, Sid Finch......
You guys are crazy if you think this kid will be a bust or wont be a star. He is the best prospect coming out of college well.. ever.

I understand that Lincy or Greinke would be on the top of most lists and there is no question I would choose those 2 right now for the next few years. However, the question was about the next decade and I think he will be special over the next 10 years. There are very few people that have ever played this game that has the natural ability that Strasburg has.

OK.. I will take my 5 man staff then for the future:

Lincecum
Greinke
Price
Strasburg
Billingsley

Originally posted by BigRon:
Sidd Finch

I would bet the ranch that he would strike out minimum of 10 Giants if he played them tomorrow. Sid Finch.. NOT. Lets revisit this in a year or two and we shall see.
Share 49ersWebzone