LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

2009 NBA Finals thread

Originally posted by Conejo:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by ritchie:
Goes both ways though, Rashard and Turkeyglue can pull those big guys of yours outside on the perimeter, leaving the block for D-12.

Magic could definitely use the quickness of Jameer this series, he would've run circles around Fish, and is too strong for Farmar/Brown.

He's not too strong for Brown. That dude's a brick s**thouse. He is my mancrush this year the way that Ariza was in last year's playoffs.

Shard will pull our bigs outside (Turk doesn't play the 4), but I'm saying that we're more equipped than most teams are to deal with it. He'll give Pau problems when it's Pau/Bynum together, but we can exploit that matchup on the other end too. Against Varejao, he couldn't guard the perimeter OR post Shard up.

When Odom's at PF, he's a lot more of a perimeter player. He's actually our 2 guard in the triangle, believe it or not. He's a lot better equipped to deal with a guy like Shard than most 4's are, and has more success against guys like him, but struggles with "bruisers".

Shard will definitely win some battles, but I don't think it's as big of a mismatch as Orlando is used to having there.

BTW, thanks angel.

Enlighten me Pete.

How will the Lakers get away with playing Odom so many minutes? When it's him on the floor, Pau is the C, correct? Howard on Pau, D12 would tap that ass every time (I mean I haven't seen much from him on the defensive end that makes me think D12 won't win that matchup 9 times out of 10) You got a better chance playing Bynum on D12, but then where's Odom?

I think the Lakers are the better team, but the 3-5 matchup will be interesting because if Turk and Lewis continue to hit well, and you guys somehow don't manage to contain D12, this series could go 7 deep, and I really don't think you guys want that

Lakers in 6, don't ask me how

Pau has typically matched up well with D12 throughout his career, even on the defensive end. Reason being, the key to defending D12 is BEFORE he catches the ball. In the Orlando series, Howard was catching the ball 4 feet from the basket, turning around, and making an easy shot. The key is to circle around him, deny the post entry pass, and force him to catch it 8-10 feet away. D12's much less effective from there. Pau's not a great defender by any means, but he's very good at that. He did this to Yao in Game 2 & 3. Pau's a better matchup than Bynum is. In fact, the last time Pau played Center against D12, he actually got the best of him.

But yeah, if D12's catching the ball where he wants to, he will definitely "tap that ass".

ritchie, Jameer's a cannonball, but Brown's a SF in PG's body, and is over 200lbs. In college, he was a SF. Jameer's tough, buy so is Brown, and he has 20lbs. on him.
Goes both ways though, Rashard and Turkeyglue can pull those big guys of yours outside on the perimeter, leaving the block for D-12.

Magic could definitely use the quickness of Jameer this series, he would've run circles around Fish, and is too strong for Farmar/Brown.

He's not too strong for Brown. That dude's a brick s**thouse. He is my mancrush this year the way that Ariza was in last year's playoffs.

Shard will pull our bigs outside (Turk doesn't play the 4), but I'm saying that we're more equipped than most teams are to deal with it. He'll give Pau problems when it's Pau/Bynum together, but we can exploit that matchup on the other end too. Against Varejao, he couldn't guard the perimeter OR post Shard up.

When Odom's at PF, he's a lot more of a perimeter player. He's actually our 2 guard in the triangle, believe it or not. He's a lot better equipped to deal with a guy like Shard than most 4's are, and has more success against guys like him, but struggles with "bruisers".

Shard will definitely win some battles, but I don't think it's as big of a mismatch as Orlando is used to having there.

BTW, thanks angel.

Enlighten me Pete.

How will the Lakers get away with playing Odom so many minutes? When it's him on the floor, Pau is the C, correct? Howard on Pau, D12 would tap that ass every time (I mean I haven't seen much from him on the defensive end that makes me think D12 won't win that matchup 9 times out of 10) You got a better chance playing Bynum on D12, but then where's Odom?

I think the Lakers are the better team, but the 3-5 matchup will be interesting because if Turk and Lewis continue to hit well, and you guys somehow don't manage to contain D12, this series could go 7 deep, and I really don't think you guys want that

Pau has typically matched up well with D12 throughout his career, even on the defensive end. Reason being, the key to defending D12 is BEFORE he catches the ball. In the Orlando series, Howard was catching the ball 4 feet from the basket, turning around, and making an easy shot. The key is to circle around him, deny the post entry pass, and force him to catch it 8-10 feet away. D12's much less effective from there. Pau's not a great defender by any means, but he's very good at that. He did this to Yao in Game 2 & 3. Pau's a better matchup than Bynum is. In fact, the last time Pau played Center against D12, he actually got the best of him.

But yeah, if D12's catching the ball where he wants to, he will definitely "tap that ass".

ritchie, Jameer's a cannonball, but Brown's a SF in PG's body, and is over 200lbs. In college, he was a SF. Jameer's tough, buy so is Brown, and he has 20lbs. on him.

But Petey, Shannon is a girl's name.
Ritchie.

Damn. That woke me up.

BTW, thanks angel.

Enlighten me Pete.

This reminds me of the Del Harris Lakers. They would kill people in the first rounds of the playoffs because people would double shaq and he would kick it out and guys like van exel and eddie jones would look like all stars. Then the would run into the jazz or spurs and they would single cover shaq and letl him take all the shots he wanted knowing you can get one or two offensive fouls if you add that to his defensive fouls that would normally put him in foul trouble plus you take away the wide open threes.. The spurs and jazz had bigs that could pull shaq away from the basket which will happen to D12 when odom and gasol are in. Should be a great series.
so who do you think Shaq is rooting for?
Originally posted by SFgoldrush49:

Stan Van Gundy.

Concussions. And donuts.
  • Dino
  • Veteran

that is a good question
  • SLICK
  • Veteran
I'm still shocked that the Magic made it this far. Kind of funny that they beat the Celtics with their guard play, and Cleveland with the play of their big man. Nice to be able to do that.

I think Orlando has a tough match-up. The one thing I'll say is that Orlando is a tougher team, and play with alot more heart than LA does. I think the Lakers can contain Howard(unless Gasol plays him 1-on-1) and Odom will be able to play Lewis tighter than anyone has so far.

Lakers in 6
Oh boy JJ Redick and Adam Morrison finally meet each other in the dream matchup fans have been waiting for!

Not.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Oh boy JJ Redick and Adam Morrison finally meet each other in the dream matchup fans have been waiting for!

Not.

Originally posted by SLICK:
I'm still shocked that the Magic made it this far. Kind of funny that they beat the Celtics with their guard play, and Cleveland with the play of their big man. Nice to be able to do that.

I think Orlando has a tough match-up. The one thing I'll say is that Orlando is a tougher team, and play with alot more heart than LA does. I think the Lakers can contain Howard(unless Gasol plays him 1-on-1) and Odom will be able to play Lewis tighter than anyone has so far.

Lakers in 6

Orlando dodged a bullet when KG went down. That was a bad matchup for them with him in the lineup.

BTW, thanks angel.

Enlighten me Pete.

shall be interesting to watch then
As much as I loved Ray Allen getting his championship I'm more excited about this Finals match up than last year.

These aren't even my teams but I'm pumped.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
As much as I loved Ray Allen getting his championship I'm more excited about this Finals match up than last year.

These aren't even my teams but I'm pumped.

Share 49ersWebzone