There are 190 users in the forums

2009 SF Giants thread

Great season Giants!!!! I was not expecting 88 wins. You made this one of the most exciting seasons in a while. Get some offense this offseason and we are right back in the thick of things
Originally posted by AC49er:
Great season Giants!!!! I was not expecting 88 wins. You made this one of the most exciting seasons in a while. Get some offense this offseason and we are right back in the thick of things

we need a good hitting LF (Gomes)????
Great season for Giants baseball. All summer long I was into it. To be playing meaningful games late in September was awesome. I think this team has a lot to build on. Obviously we got some deficiencies offensively, but at least we found one bonafide stud in Panda.

With some upgrades offensively (who, I don't know), we should be able to compete for a playoff spot next year again because of the awesome pitching staff.

Sanchez proved to be worth keeping. Zito had a bounce back season (for the most part). Tim is well, the Freak. Cain had an awesome season (tired a bit, but was still good).

I hope we can do something this offseason to improve because this team is on the cusp.

Again, AWESOME season.
Thank you for making the summer fun again.

NOW GO GET A RIGHT-HANDED POWERHITTING CORNER OUTFIELDER AND A POWERHITTING 1ST BASEMAN IN THE OFFSEASON!!!!

Thanks again.

I for one am still bitter they didn't get into the playoffs.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

NOW GO GET A RIGHT-HANDED POWERHITTING CORNER OUTFIELDER AND A POWERHITTING 1ST BASEMAN IN THE OFFSEASON!!!!

Thanks again.

Ditto!
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:

Thanks again.

Ditto!

I would be thrilled if we just got the left fielder. I am of the opinion 1st is in good hands with Ishikawa. His Glove more than makes up for the lack of HRs.
Originally posted by BigRon:

Thanks again.

Ditto!

I would be thrilled if we just got the left fielder. I am of the opinion 1st is in good hands with Ishikawa. His Glove more than makes up for the lack of HRs.

No I'd rather give up some defense for power or at least HITTING..Ishi sucks
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Thanks again.

Ditto!

We disagree. I watched at least 6 games last year of the 50+ that Ishikawa didn't play which we lost because of 1st base defense. Of those starting at least 100 games last year, Ishikawa had the 3rd best fielding percentage in the NL behind LaRoche and Helton. We watched as Bochy consistently pulled him out of lineup for a week or more just as his stick was warming up. Even tho he played in 113 games he only played in 88 innings. Yet in those 88 innings he had 8 of his 9 hrs. Or one every 11 innings as a starter. Not too bad. He hit .261 for the season but .349 in AT&T. This guy could do the job if he was given the shot. He will never be a Pujols (who would be) or a Helton, But I would take him as a good alternative if we failed to pick up a LaRoche or as some have salivated over, Fielder.

Thanks again.

Ditto!

We disagree. I watched at least 6 games last year of the 50+ that Ishikawa didn't play which we lost because of 1st base defense. Of those starting at least 100 games last year, Ishikawa had the 3rd best fielding percentage in the NL behind LaRoche and Helton. We watched as Bochy consistently pulled him out of lineup for a week or more just as his stick was warming up. Even tho he played in 113 games he only played in 88 innings. Yet in those 88 innings he had 8 of his 9 hrs. Or one every 11 innings as a starter. Not too bad. He hit .261 for the season but .349 in AT&T. This guy could do the job if he was given the shot. He will never be a Pujols (who would be) or a Helton, But I would take him as a good alternative if we failed to pick up a LaRoche or as some have salivated over, Fielder.

Wow. I can never argue when someone backs up their claim with stats. Good job Ron!

Thanks again.

Ditto!

My kind of argument there, Ron. Well done. I like Ishi, but to me, he's a reserve. I wouldn't be angry if he was the starter for us, but we need to look at improvements and we can definitely make one there.

His defense alone makes him a great guy to have on the bench, but if we had the chance to acquire a power hitting 1B, I wouldn't hesitate.
great way to end the season panda.. now LET'S MAKE SOME MOVES SON

Thanks again.

Ditto!

I dont disgree that defense at 1b isnt important. It is. However, that is one position where you need a consistent bat that can provide some power. I think Ishy can be a part of the team if we dont get a real hitter there but I do not see him as a starter in MLB. Maybe he will learn to hit on the road. Maybe he will prove to be someone who can hit .290+ with 18-20 homers and drive in 90 runs. I just would be very surprised.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Oct 5, 2009 at 13:35:38 ]
Although it was a great season, I agree with everything in this article...

LINK
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Although it was a great season, I agree with everything in this article...

LINK

read that article neukom still pissed off we traded for f**king an injured singles hitter in sanchez and a joke in garko instead of martinez which couldve been had. i cant believe it were likely bringing back damn sabean
Share 49ersWebzone