LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

2009 SF Giants thread

Originally posted by ninerfaninLA:
Originally posted by 49ersAREMYLIFE:
Bowker should be able to contribute but it doesn't look like he will be a starter. Ishy seems to have the edge at 1b and Bowker would probably be the 5th OF. The Giants do need power so lets hope he does get better plate discipline and cut his strikeouts down this year.

Hopefully he can jump up to 4th and backup at 1st base so he can get as many at bats as possible.

He would have to pass Schierholtz for that to happen and I know the Giants have high hopes for him this year. If the Giants fall out of the race by the all star break look for them to move Randy Winn which will clear a spot.

Bowker will be back at AAA Fresno, barring a major injury in Spring training. Ishikawa will be 1st base, Aurilla will be the back up at both 3rd and 1st with Sandoval getting a share of first at times. We have a very unique makeup on this team with every infield position except 1st being manned by someone who is capable and who will play other positions during the season. Same is true in the outfield with each of the 4, Winn, Lewis, Rowand and Schierholtz. We can expect to have 15 players each with more than 100 games played and 400 abs. Bowker will not be able to break into that kind of rotation without an injury.
Bowker should be able to contribute but it doesn't look like he will be a starter. Ishy seems to have the edge at 1b and Bowker would probably be the 5th OF. The Giants do need power so lets hope he does get better plate discipline and cut his strikeouts down this year.

Hopefully he can jump up to 4th and backup at 1st base so he can get as many at bats as possible.

He would have to pass Schierholtz for that to happen and I know the Giants have high hopes for him this year. If the Giants fall out of the race by the all star break look for them to move Randy Winn which will clear a spot.

Yah, I don't think Bowker starts this year either (in LF or 1st base), but even if he goes down to the minors again to start the year, the key is for us not to give up on him altogether after his rookie season. He really does have the chance to be a solid power hitter if developed properly.
2 Giants on Baseball America's All Winter Team:

Pablo Sandoval, c/1b/3b, Giants: He hit .396/.449/.677 in 214 at-bats, leading Venezuela in batting and slugging.
Key stats: 12 HRs in 192 at-bats

Jesus Guzman, 3b, Giants: Guzman decided not to return to the Athletics system after a big year in Double-A, signed with the Giants and put on a show in Venezuela with the second-best OPS (third in slugging). Defense remains a question mark, though.
Key stats: .304/.381/.483

Does anyone know if Guzman has gotten into an exhibition game yet? Guy is a good hitter and I wonder if he has a shot to make the team.

Pablo Sandoval, c/1b/3b, Giants: He hit .396/.449/.677 in 214 at-bats, leading Venezuela in batting and slugging.

Jesus Guzman, 3b, Giants: Guzman decided not to return to the Athletics system after a big year in Double-A, signed with the Giants and put on a show in Venezuela with the second-best OPS (third in slugging). Defense remains a question mark, though.

Does anyone know if Guzman has gotten into an exhibition game yet? Guy is a good hitter and I wonder if he has a shot to make the team.

i know he has played but dont know his stats
Originally posted by hec26:

Notable stats from today.

Bowker- Since we were all on the topic, was 0-2, but had an RBI

Burriss- Had a good day at the plate, 2-3 with a R and an RBI

McClain- Went yard with a solo shot in his one at bat
J.Wald- Same "

Guzman- Was 1-1 today
Giants pitchers watching the Royals destroy them. they are just getting all the runs out now. Smart thinking

J.Wald- Same "

Guzman- Was 1-1 today

You forgot Bowkers two errors today.
Originally posted by BigRon:

J.Wald- Same "

Guzman- Was 1-1 today

Haha sorry dude, you make it sound like i did it on purpose, i only looked at the hitting. Jeez.

J.Wald- Same "

Guzman- Was 1-1 today

Haha sorry dude, you make it sound like i did it on purpose, i only looked at the hitting. Jeez.

Nah, just having fun. hahahahaha

but lets be real about Bowker, He needs a lot of work in the field and at the plate. His future with the Giants will depend on two things. Plate discipline and injuries (not his but others)

J.Wald- Same "

Guzman- Was 1-1 today

Nah, just having fun. hahahahaha

but lets be real about Bowker, He needs a lot of work in the field and at the plate. His future with the Giants will depend on two things. Plate discipline and injuries (not his but others)

Ya for sure. Ive also noticed that while hes still getting hits and showin decent power, hes still been striking out a lot in his plate appearances.

[ Edited by 49ersAREMYLIFE on Mar 2, 2009 at 21:55:52 ]

so did we sign Manny yet?
Originally posted by 49erJim:
so did we sign Manny yet?

Rumor has it that Manny's afraid to sign with us because of the speculated rumors in LA that if Manny dons orange and black and keeps his long locks, they will call him Tranny Ramirez.
Can't find the official stats, but I'm reading that RJ so far has 7 k's in 3 innings against his former team. Gawd I hope he carries this dominance deep into the regular season and beyond. I'm giddy!
Originally posted by sireeznutz:
Can't find the official stats, but I'm reading that RJ so far has 7 k's in 3 innings against his former team. Gawd I hope he carries this dominance deep into the regular season and beyond. I'm giddy!

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_03_03_arimlb_sfnmlb_1

Three innings of two hit ball, no runs. Not too shabby.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by sireeznutz:

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_03_03_arimlb_sfnmlb_1

Three innings of two hit ball, no runs. Not too shabby.

He allowed 2 hits in 3 innings?!?!?!? He's washed up!!!

Hahaha

He says he's coming into the year healthy for the first time in awhile...really excited to watch him pitch.
Share 49ersWebzone