There are 190 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2009 Oakland A's thread

Originally posted by ninerpride:
I'm still surprised as it looks as the A's won't even bother bringing in another veteran arm.

I wouldn't be all that upset to see Mulder brought in for a incentive laden deal.

I agree.
  • JR80
Would Pedro be too expensive for the A's? I know he's still looking for a job...
Yeah I brought Pedro's and Schilling's name here about a week ago as possible veteran arms although Pedro would be ready by opening day.

He looked good pitching in the WBC for the DR, certainly he's nowhere close to the Pedro from even when he first arrived with the NYM but he'd still be a decent arm who could give you possibly 20-25 starts in a season.

Hey the A's got a couple of his teammates in Nomar and Cabrera, why not bring him in?

But I doubt it. At this time I believe the A's will go with what they have in terms of SP talent.

Duke
Gallagher
Eveland
Braden
Gio
E.Gonzalez
Williams
Outman
Cahill
Anderson
Mazzaro
Simmons

...I'd guess those will be the guys the A's will be counting on to making a contribution this season to the big league rotation.

Cahill had another very good outing TUE and really so have Anderson and Mazzaro have had good STs, the only one of the youngsters who've struggled was Simmons.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/03/offseason-in--6.html
According to Rosenthal, he says the A's aren't interested in Pedro, so there you go.

Although Rosenthal is the end all be all when it deals with these kinds of reports but I doubt the A's will spend the money needed to land Pedro.
According to Rosenthal, he says the A's aren't interested in Pedro, so there you go.

Although Rosenthal is the end all be all when it deals with these kinds of reports but I doubt the A's will spend the money needed to land Pedro.

We are goin to start our young guys... thats how it looks right now. I don't see them goin with our scrubs.
Street talking sh* t about the A's organization in the trib today. Street you're not good enough to talk sh*t. I bet he's still mad that the A's traded his overrated ass out the door because he sucks.
Well I don't know if it's sure or long term. With the A's only having Blevins, they need another pen arm and Gio at this time maybe doesn't have the mental makeup to be a full time SP.

At this point he has nothing to prove in AAA. So sending him to the pen this early in his MLB career isn't the worst thing in the world. I agree I would love to see him as a SP but maybe not this soon at this stage of his career.

He could be that long man or spot starter in the mode of so many other past pitchers like a Saarloos, Kennedy.

A's fans believe that Gio can look good for a few innings but then starts to struggle, he wears his emotion outward and that will kill him when he's giving up 3 or 4 runs in a inning after he was cruising.

Gio in a small sample size did handle LHs well last season with the A's with a line of .194/.302/.278.

Maybe the A's will use Gio this way his first year and hopefully if and when he matures during this time he'll be allowed to challenge for a rotation spot.

The only way you mature is by experience. How exactly is he going to overcome this if he never learns to work through it? He still has things to prove in the minors imo. He could be more consistent, work on his maturity and his command down there.

Don't just stick him in the bullpen and hope he somehow miraculously solves his problems.
Who do you think are the scrubs? E.Gonzalez, Williams, that sort?

They've actually pitched pretty well especially the first one.

E.Gonzalez has pitched well, 6 IP, 6 hits, 2 ERs, 0 BBs, 6 Ks albeit in ST. He's still only 26, was probably rushed to the majors when he was 20...maybe another Gaudin type as Gaudin also was rushed to the majors when he was 20 by TB and he became at least a viable arm for the A's for the most part be it in the pen or even as a starter.

Williams overall #s don't look all that great but his last outing he wasn't helped with some shoddy D behind him that make his #s worse than maybe how he's pitched really.

Who knows, they may end up being Heredia, Saarloos, Kennedy, Gaudin type scrap heap signings that could fill that role of a back end starter and long man in the pen...a position that also could be filled by both Outman and Gio.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Street talking sh* t about the A's organization in the trib today. Street you're not good enough to talk sh*t. I bet he's still mad that the A's traded his overrated ass out the door because he sucks.

Yeah thanks street for getting us a player you will never become
Originally posted by JR80:
Would Pedro be too expensive for the A's? I know he's still looking for a job...

They will say,"we're a small market team and we wont spend that type of money".
Originally posted by anubis5:
Originally posted by JR80:

They will say,"we're a small market team and we wont spend that type of money".

Weve spend quite a bit this offseason already.....
Well I don't think Gio has a ton to prove in AAA anymore, even though his #s aren't the greatest, like with Anderson...Gio had 2 or 3 really horrific starts but in 80% of his other starts were really solid or a stretch in July I believe he just dominated down there.

BBs/control are an issue, as is his mental make but what will he learn down there that he couldn't up with the big league team even if he's put in the pen where he'll get the best coaching, face and be surrounded with the best talent, and isn't brought down emotionally if he is sent to AAA again to start the season especially if he does have a solid ST.

Not like starting your career in the pen is all that unusual even for a SP prospect. Look at Haren when he was brought up with STL, he started his career in the pen, made a few starts until he became a full time SP when he was dealt to the A's before 05. Even here locally with what SF did with Sanchez and Gallagher in 07 was used out of the pen with the Cubs even though statistically in the minors he did very well, even better than Gio did.

Gio did very well last season at the end in short stints, so if he gets used out of the pen and has good outings, that'll increase his confidence and maybe the A's will send him to the rotation later in the season be it because of multiple reasons like injury, poor play by those in the rotation, Gio dominating in the pen and showing how much he's grown as a pitcher.
Lot of hype that one of the young trio of Mazzaro, Anderson, Cahill will maybe have a legit shot of starting year in the rotation.

A lot think it's Mazzaro so far he's had the best ST...

Mazzaro-5 IP, 3 hits, 0 ERs, 0 BBs, 7 Ks

Anderson-5.2 IP, 5 hits, 2 ERs, 3 BBs, K

Cahill-8 IP, 3 hits, 2 ERs, 2 BBs, 5 Ks

...and he's the oldest of the three at 22 and has pitched the most at AAA albeit only 33.2 IP. But reading the local papers here and they had scouts gushing over Mazzaro and his stuff.

I could easily see the A's waiting until Cahill/Anderson save another arb year and let them come up by midseason so that they don't "waste" a year this season, as they did with Buck last season as they still have him under control for another 5 seasons instead of 4 because they let him spend a certain amount of time in the minors in 08. Other teams may not do that and just let these youngsters come up but for a team that thinks about the longevity of keeping certain players, doesn't shock me if this were true about the A's.
Saw MLBN's LAA' 30 teams/30 days special yesterday and all three studio analysts in Reynalds, Leiter, and Hart picked the LAA to win.

They all said the three other teams in the AL West will be better, but the LAA are still the leaders of the pack.

BP had their projections of the final standings where the LAA beat the A's by only 3 games for the division, 87 wins to 84 wins so mid 80s prediction which is what most A's fans are guessing.