LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

2009 Oakland A's thread

Prediction for the season?

Well if everything goes well I say 85-90 wins with a shot if something things go wrong for the LAA and somethings go very well for the A's meaning health and possibly some of the youngsters proving their worth both in terms of the players that will start the year in the bigs and those in the minors who most likely will be called up sometime in the season.
I don't really like making predictions but I'll say the A's win 85-87 games. I still think the halos will win the division tho.
Well as I mentioned in the other thread but that thread will soon fade, the A's will finally retire Rickey's #24, something they should've done a while ago although Rickey still wanted to play, so maybe they asked but he declined until he officially goes into the HOF. Might be a LONG LONG LONG time before we see anybody else's # retired? Who else is there?

Maybe TLR and maybe Stew, but that's it.

Suzuki will now wear #8, and that # IMO should've never been lent out for the past decade to the likes of a Haren, Dye and Suzuki...# should've been a hands off stature like a 80 is now with the Niners.

With his # being retired, hopefully that and the 89 WS reunion that we should get will bring out some old time A's fans. And hopefully that 89 reunion goes better than the 40th year anniversary of the team which many A's fans think was poorly planned, marketed, and instead of a coliseum that was filled for that historic ceremony...only half the stadium was filled. As much as I rip the SFG, they do these things right, maybe overdo these things, but they remember their past which the A's haven't done for years now, really since the Haas family.

Hopefully they do the 89 reunion on opening day, as they did it back in 99 as I was there..where they know they'll get a full house and those players get the recognition they deserve.
gameday! Chavy with his first hit of spring training... nothing to get excited about haha
Jack Cust picking up where he left off... He smacked a homer today. I think he will be an improved player from last year.. which would be huge!
Having Holliday, Giambi, and maybe a healthy Chavez should help.

Plus read that he had troubles with his vision last season and supposedly got that corrected.

In off the field news, reading the A's are being invited by SacTown's mayor KJ about a possible relocation especially if the Kings move? Funny, you hear rumors that the Kings may wanna move down to SJ?

Anyways, there has always been talk about moving the A's to SacTown mainly because they got a park there that some feel can be expanded for baseball in Raley Field which is the home of the A's AAA team the Rivercats

Since CSNCA is based in SacTown and they got a legit sports radio station there in 1140, would make some sense...giving the A's the three things I think A's fans have wanted for years now.

-new park, their own tv network, and a legit radio station and it being sports is cherry on top.

...if they move to SacTown, they'll get those three things as they'd most likely move onto 1140 especially if the Kings move out of the area completely to a place like SEA which just lost the Sonics and IMO is a place where the NBA would want to put a new team in.

Although I find it hard to believe SacTown if they're gonna lose the Kings could then somehow bring in the A's and build a new or at least enlarge the current ballpark.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Having Holliday, Giambi, and maybe a healthy Chavez should help.

Plus read that he had troubles with his vision last season and supposedly got that corrected.

In off the field news, reading the A's are being invited by SacTown's mayor KJ about a possible relocation especially if the Kings move? Funny, you hear rumors that the Kings may wanna move down to SJ?

Anyways, there has always been talk about moving the A's to SacTown mainly because they got a park there that some feel can be expanded for baseball in Raley Field which is the home of the A's AAA team the Rivercats

Since CSNCA is based in SacTown and they got a legit sports radio station there in 1140, would make some sense...giving the A's the three things I think A's fans have wanted for years now.

-new park, their own tv network, and a legit radio station and it being sports is cherry on top.

...if they move to SacTown, they'll get those three things as they'd most likely move onto 1140 especially if the Kings move out of the area completely to a place like SEA which just lost the Sonics and IMO is a place where the NBA would want to put a new team in.

Although I find it hard to believe SacTown if they're gonna lose the Kings could then somehow bring in the A's and build a new or at least enlarge the current ballpark.

Enlarging the ballpark would certainly be way less time consuming and way cheaper.
Well according to ML he said it'd take up towards 200+ million to expand Raley to a MLB caliber park although who knows what the real estimate would be to expand Raley.

ML had a great blog about this whole situation in regards to SJ, SacTown and other possibly location for the A's to move to on his blog today. Still believe SJ is the most feasible and realistic option and it's really the place the A's ownership, the past two in Schottman and Wolff/Fisher have wanted to move the team in the first place.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Well according to ML he said it'd take up towards 200+ million to expand Raley to a MLB caliber park although who knows what the real estimate would be to expand Raley.

ML had a great blog about this whole situation in regards to SJ, SacTown and other possibly location for the A's to move to on his blog today. Still believe SJ is the most feasible and realistic option and it's really the place the A's ownership, the past two in Schottman and Wolff/Fisher have wanted to move the team in the first place.

If it would take 200 million to upgrade Raley field to an mlb venue, it would certainly take much more money to start one from scratch.
The one huge drawback is the corporate money, a huge reason why Wolff and the previous ownership wants to move to the south bay, SJ, all together.

Would not having to spend maybe half the money to expand Raley be enough to outset any of the corporate money that a move down to the south bay would offer.

As for Friday's ST game, least the A's finally scored without the help of a HR.

TOR interested in signing Cabrera.
So far in the exhibition season our offense has hardly been impressive.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
So far in the exhibition season our offense has hardly been impressive.

haha well not all of our starters play at the same time... dont worry its only spring training...
10 runs in 4 games, not again, we're screwed!!!

I'm not even paying attention to any ST numbers at this point. I'm just praying everybody can stay healthy thru this extra long ST due to the WBC.
Although the bug is killing the A's players right now.

Maybe that's a legit excuse to see what the hitting has been subpar, but doesn't make sense why the pitching at this point has been very good sans one bad game, but three out of the four games so far, the A's pitching has given up 6 runs combined.

Not like the hitters and pitchers are in separate clubhouses.
Share 49ersWebzone