There are 176 users in the forums

2008-09 San Antonio Spurs Thread

Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I was hoping the Spurs would lose. The 6th seed is the goal and the easiest road to he conference finals.

Not me. I hate it when the Spurs lose.

This was a win-win. The Spurs get closer to HCA in the first round. The Kings get closer to drafting Blake Griffin.

Tony Parker is a fantastic basketball player. If Tim Duncan's knees continue to improve---he says the pain is "almost gone"---he and Parker can be a solid 1-2 punch in the playoffs. Roger Mason is a viable third scoring option. The bench is playing well. Pop has apparently been saving Bowen for the playoffs. (I hope that's what he's been doing.)

I don't think the Spurs will go far, but as a fan I want to see Tim Duncan's playoff beastliness. I want to see Tony Parker step up. I want to see George Hill get some experience. I want to see if Gooden can rebound and bring energy to the second unit. Set the table for 2009-2010.

Or, heck, win it all this year.

Yeah, Parker turned the corner in the 2007 Finals year when he won Finals MVP. The only problem is that he's a shoot first take time off the clock scorer and that's not always what you want from your PG. I mean to say that the team ends up standing around and picking up bad habits during games.

Duncan REALLY needs to come out charging for us to get deep into the playoffs.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I was hoping the Spurs would lose. The 6th seed is the goal and the easiest road to he conference finals.

Not me. I hate it when the Spurs lose.

This was a win-win. The Spurs get closer to HCA in the first round. The Kings get closer to drafting Blake Griffin.

Tony Parker is a fantastic basketball player. If Tim Duncan's knees continue to improve---he says the pain is "almost gone"---he and Parker can be a solid 1-2 punch in the playoffs. Roger Mason is a viable third scoring option. The bench is playing well. Pop has apparently been saving Bowen for the playoffs. (I hope that's what he's been doing.)

I don't think the Spurs will go far, but as a fan I want to see Tim Duncan's playoff beastliness. I want to see Tony Parker step up. I want to see George Hill get some experience. I want to see if Gooden can rebound and bring energy to the second unit. Set the table for 2009-2010.

Or, heck, win it all this year.

Parker definitely doesn't get his just due, and health willing, Duncan will be Duncan.

Dunno about Mason though, he's seemed to slip as the season's gone on. I think that "viable 3rd option" is a generous description.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by 49erLifer:
Speaking of the NBA helping out Texas teams, did you see how your Spurs barely beat the Kings tonight? Finely hits the game winner a second after the shot-clock expired. How the hell does that happen? Is the shot clock not accompanied by a horn in Sacramento?

Nope, the horn sounded perfectly clear. Just a completely blown call. Terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fiZjER5E68

You could have at least posted a video. I don't hear a buzzer until the ball is in the air. Doesn't look like a blown call to me.

Hey, where did you guys go? I wanted to explain to you how the shot clock works.
Speaking of the NBA helping out Texas teams, did you see how your Spurs barely beat the Kings tonight? Finely hits the game winner a second after the shot-clock expired. How the hell does that happen? Is the shot clock not accompanied by a horn in Sacramento?

You could have at least posted a video. I don't hear a buzzer until the ball is in the air. Doesn't look like a blown call to me.

Hey, where did you guys go? I wanted to explain to you how the shot clock works.

Look at the red clock on top of the basket. When that hits 00, any shot taken afterwards doesn't count. That's how the shot clock works. So when the ball was still in Finley's hands with a red 00, that means the shot shouldn't have counted.

I can't tell if you're being serious or just egging me on.

Look at the red clock on top of the basket. When that hits 00, any shot taken afterwards doesn't count. That's how the shot clock works. So when the ball was still in Finley's hands with a red 00, that means the shot shouldn't have counted.

Because the clock starts at 24.9, not 24. When you see '0', it means there's less than 1 second left. It displays '0' at 0.9 seconds and the buzzer goes off at 0.0.
[ Edited by pantstickle on Apr 13, 2009 at 6:56 PM ]

Because the clock starts at 24.9, not 24. When you see '0', it means there's less than 1 second left. It displays '0' at 0.9 seconds and the buzzer goes off at 0.0.

Wrong. The clock is 24 seconds and starts at 24.0. It shows 1 second for 0.1 through 1. When any of the clocks hits zero, it's zero. Otherwise how the hell could you tell? Just predict when 0.9 has gone by?
^^ That's why sometimes when the ball goes out of bounds and 1 second shows on the shot clock, the announcers will comment that it's really less than a second. Then as soon as the guy touches it and it goes off, you know it was actually more like 0.2.
^^ That's why sometimes when the ball goes out of bounds and 1 second shows on the shot clock, the announcers will comment that it's really less than a second. Then as soon as the guy touches it and it goes off, you know it was actually more like 0.2.

I was slightly wrong in what I said. The shot clock counts from 24.9 to .9, not 24.9 to 0. The shot clock buzzer goes off at 0.9, not at 0.0. That leaves 1/10 of a second from when the shot clock shows zero and when the buzzer goes off indicating a shot clock violation.

From Mark Cuban's blog explaining it:

Quote:
Its because of the way the software for the shot clock is designed to work. When the shot clock starts counting down, it doesn’t start counting at 24.0 seconds. It actually starts counting at 24.9 seconds. So when the shot clock changes from 24 to 23, that means the shot clock has counted down from 24.9 and has changed to 23.9.

This also means that when the shot clock shows 1 second left, there can be anywhere from 1.9 seconds to 1.0 seconds left. This approach allows the shot clock to go off and sound the horn as it turns from 1.0 to zero, having counted down 24 seconds from 24.9 to .9 . So there could be 1.7 seconds showing on the shot clock, .9 seconds left in the game and there still could still be a shot clock violation if a shot isnt off before there are .2 seconds left in the game.
SacRock's right about the red lights being the indicator. Refs blew that call.
The NBA released a statement saying that the call was blown and the shot should not have counted. You're lucky San Antonio! This is going to have playoff implications.

• sarpp
  • Info N/A
The NBA released a statement saying that the call was blown and the shot should not have counted. You're lucky San Antonio! This is going to have playoff implications.

Spurs lucky, nah...Yeah right...Well it serves them right now, playing without Manu...
Something tells me the Spurs won't be in the playoffs too long...
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by sarpp:

Spurs lucky, nah...Yeah right...Well it serves them right now, playing without Manu...

Let's not forget that the score was tied when Finley hit that shot. The Spurs were outplaying the Kings in the third and the fourth, so I think their chances were good in overtime. Would the Kings have won in overtime? Maybe. But it's not like the Spurs were given a W when they deserved an L.

Was it a bad call? Sure. But, like I said, it was a win-win for both teams.

I think the Spurs have a good chance of making it to the WCF. The Lakers look unstoppable, though.

Spurs won't have home court advantage & playing without Manu, NO WAY they make the WCF...Parker is good, but he ain't that good.
Spurs will have to play down-right nasty defense to have any chance in the playoffs, cause they won't light up the scoreboard...
You know the refs won't make that buzzer-beater mistake too many more times
[ Edited by sarpp on Apr 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM ]
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A

Let's not forget that the score was tied when Finley hit that shot. The Spurs were outplaying the Kings in the third and the fourth, so I think their chances were good in overtime. Would the Kings have won in overtime? Maybe. But it's not like the Spurs were given a W when they deserved an L.

I think the Spurs have a good chance of making it to the WCF. The Lakers look unstoppable, though.

Spurs won't have home court advantage & playing without Manu, NO WAY they make the WCF...Parker is good, but he ain't that good.
Spurs will have to play down-right nasty defense to have any chance in the playoffs, cause they won't light up the scoreboard...

If they make it . . . will you leave?

Is that the best you could do??? Spurs are like a hurt pack of wolves now...
Might prove everyone wrong, but yeah I'll leave your beloved Spurs thread...

Good Luck
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A

If they make it . . . will you leave?

Is that the best you could do??? Spurs are like a hurt pack of wolves now...
Might prove everyone wrong, but yeah I'll leave your beloved Spurs thread...

Good Luck

Hurt wolves are incredibly vicious creatures. Clawing, biting, trying to survive. Dangerous. Are you sure that's the analogy you want to make?

I thought u didn't want me here anymore??? Spurs, because of their playoff experience will always be somewhat dangerous...This year, those wolves r just too hurt...But again, thats why they play the game...We'll see
  • kj11aw
  • Info N/A
its going to be a tough road without manu, but they could very easily be in the WCF if mason is on and they keep getting quality minutes from gooden
Share 49ersWebzone