There are 265 users in the forums

NEW YORK YANKEES REGULAR SEASON THREAD

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I cant believe people are calling Jeter one of the most overrated players ever. Give me a break. Anyone who can get 3000 hits is just not overrated. PERIOD. I could care less what his slugging average is.

I dont remember ANYONE ever saying that he was the greatest player of all time or even the greatest SS of all time. He is certainly a first ballot Hall of Famer that played the game with class and all out effort every time he has taken the field.

you can be overrated and still be a HOF player. like i said before, if he played his whole career on the Houston Astros like Craig Biggio, he still wouldve been a HOF player and collected 3000 hits, but he would never have had the chance to be a
postseason legend. the fact that he did it with the Yankees is why everyone is putting him up on a pedestal next to those legends like Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.

take away the postseason from his career, and his career doesn't seem that legendary. hes a classic HOF player and great representative of the game, but nobody would be speaking his name in the same sentences as the best ever to play.

You can say the same thing about Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra , and even Joe Dimaggio. Playing in New York City and playing in all the WS that they played in made them legendary as well. They were all GREAT GREAT players but may not have been held in quite the same esteem had they played in Kansas City. I wouldnt say any of them were overrated in the least though.

I just think its ridiculous that anyone would call Jeter overrated. Is he overpaid? Of course he is. So are most of the game's stars. Has he been an amazing player who EVERY team in baseball would have killed for when he was in his prime? You bet your ass he is.

Mantle, Berra, and DiMaggio wouldve been about as highly thought of in baseball history even if they played elsewhere. If you look at Jeters career totals minus the postseason, what makes him any different from a guy like Paul Molitor?

I know you cant just throw out the postseason, but the fact that Jeter had the chances to do so much in the postseason because of where he played, and the chance to become such an icon because of the market, elevated him way higher than he should be IMO.

Jeter is a 1st ballot HOF SS. im not taking that away from him. but people saying his name in the same sentence as the true legends of baseball history is ridiculous. stick Jeter on the Brewers and Blue Jays, and hes Paul Molitor with defensive ability. great player. HOF player, but nobody is saying "Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle.....Jeter"

You keep trying to compare him to Ruth and Gehrig. No one has said he is as great as those players. He IS a Yankee great and in no way overrated. Someone who knows a lot more baseball than anyone in here, Bobby Valentine, called Jeter the
greatest all around player of this generation. I'm not sure I would go that far but he is everything a great player should be.

You can take bobby valentines word as gospel if you like, but i dont.

Some people ARE comparing him to those guys. Theres a thread asking if hes the BEST yankee ever...

I saw one person who started a thread that was asking the question. No other person is saying that he is greater than Ruth, Gehrig, or Dimaggio. I dont like the Yankees at all but I have tremendous respect for Jeter. I know you understand how great he is. Hopefully you know enough to not compare him to Michael Young. LOL.
I cant believe people are calling Jeter one of the most overrated players ever. Give me a break. Anyone who can get 3000 hits is just not overrated. PERIOD. I could care less what his slugging average is.

I dont remember ANYONE ever saying that he was the greatest player of all time or even the greatest SS of all time. He is certainly a first ballot Hall of Famer that played the game with class and all out effort every time he has taken the field.

you can be overrated and still be a HOF player. like i said before, if he played his whole career on the Houston Astros like Craig Biggio, he still wouldve been a HOF player and collected 3000 hits, but he would never have had the chance to be a
postseason legend. the fact that he did it with the Yankees is why everyone is putting him up on a pedestal next to those legends like Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.

take away the postseason from his career, and his career doesn't seem that legendary. hes a classic HOF player and great representative of the game, but nobody would be speaking his name in the same sentences as the best ever to play.

You can say the same thing about Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra , and even Joe Dimaggio. Playing in New York City and playing in all the WS that they played in made them legendary as well. They were all GREAT GREAT players but may not have been held in quite the same esteem had they played in Kansas City. I wouldnt say any of them were overrated in the least though.

I just think its ridiculous that anyone would call Jeter overrated. Is he overpaid? Of course he is. So are most of the game's stars. Has he been an amazing player who EVERY team in baseball would have killed for when he was in his prime? You bet your ass he is.

Mantle, Berra, and DiMaggio wouldve been about as highly thought of in baseball history even if they played elsewhere. If you look at Jeters career totals minus the postseason, what makes him any different from a guy like Paul Molitor?

I know you cant just throw out the postseason, but the fact that Jeter had the chances to do so much in the postseason because of where he played, and the chance to become such an icon because of the market, elevated him way higher than he should be IMO.

Jeter is a 1st ballot HOF SS. im not taking that away from him. but people saying his name in the same sentence as the true legends of baseball history is ridiculous. stick Jeter on the Brewers and Blue Jays, and hes Paul Molitor with defensive ability. great player. HOF player, but nobody is saying "Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle.....Jeter"

You keep trying to compare him to Ruth and Gehrig. No one has said he is as great as those players. He IS a Yankee great and in no way overrated. Someone who knows a lot more baseball than anyone in here, Bobby Valentine, called Jeter the
greatest all around player of this generation. I'm not sure I would go that far but he is everything a great player should be.

You can take bobby valentines word as gospel if you like, but i dont.

Some people ARE comparing him to those guys. Theres a thread asking if hes the BEST yankee ever...

I saw one person who started a thread that was asking the question. No other person is saying that he is greater than Ruth, Gehrig, or Dimaggio. I dont like the Yankees at all but I have tremendous respect for Jeter. I know you understand how great he is. Hopefully you know enough to not compare him to Michael Young. LOL.

one person on this board, yes. hes certainly not the only person to COMPARE Jeter to other Yankee greats. im not just talking about on this board though. theres been alot of really overzealous Yankees fans that have lifted Jeter up to a level where theyre talking about him in the same light as the Yankee legends. if they mean just in likability and postseason heroics? fine. but nobody should be comparing the career of Derek Jeter, as "all-american and quality" as it is, to some of the greatest players of all time.

Jeter is one of the best SS of his generation, but to me, hes still Paul Molitor with more playoff heroics and a glove. HOFer no doubt. but if he was a Twins great? hes not nearly as famous or legendary. thats all im getting at. the team he played for greatly alters the view of his baseball legacy.

Michael Young - Working on his 11th season
.301 1964 hits 372 2Bs 166 homers 870 RBIS .450 slugging

Derek Jeter - working on his 17th season
.313 3004 hits 481 2Bs 237 homers 1159 rbis .449 slugging

just saying.
[ Edited by skeetskeet on Jul 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone