LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

2008-2009 General NHL Discussion Thread and PLAYOFFS! (pg 16)

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by NickV:
Jonas Hiller is playing out of his MIND. Dude what the hell is up with this guy?

no name goalies like to shine in the playoffs,it's the "in" thing these days

yeah and then come next yr during the season he'll just be average. oh well if the ducks somehow get by the wings it just makes it some what easier on the sharks. i just hope vancouver beats them and lose to the caps or the canes

I think the ducks have proven they are for reals.

Watching Rookies like Ryan make me even more eager to see what Couture and Petrecki can do.

i hope both of them make an impact like ryan but ryan was the 2nd overall pick for a reason and now hes showing it. the thing the ducks have over pretty much every team is defense, when you can throw on the ice dmen like 2 future hall of famers niedermayer and pronger and then throw out very solid dmen like whitney and beauchamin you can even add wisniewski on there too and you have 5 great to good dmen. even though this team only has 1 line their other lines as well as their 1st grinds out hard for ALL 60 mins and get under opponents skins something we cant do at times for even 20-40 mins. add to the fact when you have a damn goalie who all of a sudden come playoff time is nearly unstoppable is the reason why this damn team upset the pres trophy winners and giving the defending cup champs fits.

i will go absolutely nuts if this team finds out to reach the cup finals or even win it after all the crap they went through this season and practically giving up key players in trades

Pronger + Niedermeyer is pretty F'ing awesome. Reminds me of a modern version of the late 90's early 2000's NJ Devils with Scott Stevens and Niedermeyer with a solid goalie and a hard checking defensive minded forwards with only one line to score (Elias-Arnott-Sykora back then). Its just such a winning formula, especially in playoffs because it just suffocates and frustrates the hell out of the other team.

The only better defenseman then those 2 is Lidstrom who IMO is the 2nd best defenseman ever to play after Bobby Orr (with Bourque as 3).
WOOHoo-Hoo-Hooooo. Detroit is destroying Anaheim now. Hiller has been benched for Giguere. Haha. What a sweet last goal that last one was by Samuelson.

The Ducks have absolutely no answer for the Franzen line and what the Redwings have adjusted to and are now doing. This is great. I think the momentum swings after this game and Detroit takes the series 4-2.
Score is 5-2 at the moment about 12 minutes left in the 3rd. Detroit on the PP.

im so jealous of the wings
And there's the open netter. 6-3 Detroit seals the victory.

im so jealous of the wings

Tons of Wings fans there. You can here them chanting Ozzie.

Man this just makes me so frustrated with our team. :( All that fire-power rendered absolutely useless and completely non-functional come playoff time...

They just have impeccably smart passing and stick play -- all over the ice. Detroit shows why they're the champs.
Hurricanes go up 3-1 and pretty much lock that series up. But I'm gonna predict right here that the Hurricanes will lose to the Pitt-Wash winner (and I think it will be Wash).

The three others tied and can go either way.

I'm sticking with a Vancover-Washington Stanley Cup Finals. Although that Hossa-Franzen-fillupa (sp?) line was unstoppable last night.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Hurricanes go up 3-1 and pretty much lock that series up. But I'm gonna predict right here that the Hurricanes will lose to the Pitt-Wash winner (and I think it will be Wash).

I'm sticking with a Vancover-Washington Stanley Cup Finals. Although that Hossa-Franzen-fillupa (sp?) line was unstoppable last night.

dude don't sleep on the Canes. I was at that game, Staal is on another level and Cam is playing lights out. This team has a lot of spark and no one is giving them much credit. When they play either Washington or Pitt it will be tough but i think they can take them. Carolina vs. Detroit in the finals
Originally posted by GoNiners:

dude don't sleep on the Canes. I was at that game, Staal is on another level and Cam is playing lights out. This team has a lot of spark and no one is giving them much credit. When they play either Washington or Pitt it will be tough but i think they can take them. Carolina vs. Detroit in the finals

Oh I like Carolina. Staal is one of the best in the game, top 10 forward for sure. Cam Ward is a great goalie and in the zone. Pitkanen pick up was a steal. Erik Cole is one of my favorite players. Jokinen is a former Stars player who is playing the best hockey of his career.

I just think the lack of scoring depth is going to eventually cause them to lose. If you look at whats happened 3 of the 4 lowest scoring teams have been knocked out (Carolina is #4) where as 5 of the top 6 scoring teams are still in (Philly got knocked out by another top 6 scoring team).

Where as 3 of the top 4 defensive teams are gone (With Boston being the one left and just about gone).

In the new NHL, you need scoring depth for the cup. And all Carolina has is Staal/Whitney and IMO Jokinen won't keep up, after that who scores?
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on May 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM ]
Originally posted by GoNiners:

Oh I like Carolina. Staal is one of the best in the game, top 10 forward for sure. Cam Ward is a great goalie and in the zone. Pitkanen pick up was a steal. Erik Cole is one of my favorite players. Jokinen is a former Stars player who is playing the best hockey of his career.

I just think the lack of scoring depth is going to eventually cause them to lose. If you look at whats happened 3 of the 4 lowest scoring teams have been knocked out (Carolina is #4) where as 5 of the top 6 scoring teams are still in (Philly got knocked out by another top 6 scoring team).

Where as 3 of the top 4 defensive teams are gone (With Boston being the one left and just about gone).

In the new NHL, you need scoring depth for the cup. And all Carolina has is Staal/Whitney and IMO Jokinen won't keep up, after that who scores?

Samsonov, Corvo, and Babchuk if he starts gettin shots off. Brindamour can get some points here and there. There's somethin about this team though. The only thing i want the Canes to do better at is be more solid on defense and shoot A LOT more on the power play. If they can get that PP going it's a wrap.

the canes play how playoff hockey should be played. theyre at it for all 60 mins doing all the little things. when you got a superstar that actually shows up in the playoffs and the same with the goaltending you can make serious noise. canes keep it up theyre going to the cup regardless their depth of scoring, they have lesser known guys stepping up in the playoffs and thats a huge key. sharks need to sit their asses down and watch the canes play for ALL 60 mins
Looks like it will be a Pens - Canes Eastern Final. Really looking forward to that one if that is how it turns up.

Staal v Staal.

I just love Pits depth especially in the Center. Hopefully Gonchar will be back as he is one of our better Ds.
Originally posted by joey82:
Looks like it will be a Pens - Canes Eastern Final. Really looking forward to that one if that is how it turns up.

Staal v Staal.

I just love Pits depth especially in the Center. Hopefully Gonchar will be back as he is one of our better Ds.

its not over yet
Awesome. Detroit wins again, 4-1. Bye Anaheim. I expect them to lose the series on home ice.

I really hope the Canucks bounce back.. I just don't care much for Chicago right now..

If they don't make it to the cup, I guess I'll have to root for Pittsburgh or Washington (which my hopes are failing for).
Share 49ersWebzone