There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***Official 2008-2009 Houston Rockets Thread***

Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
So just so we're clear TX, you think the rox match up better with the Lakers than the Jazz, even though the Lakers swept you guys this season? I'm not trying to start crap, I'm just trying to interpret your post.

I think if you look at it in terms of individual matchups, the Rockets matchup better with the Lakers in the aspect that the Rockets players don't have to go out of their comfort zone whereas Okur and Williams can spread out and break down that Rocket defense.

The Lakers are just sound overall but the don't put the Rockets out of their comfort zone. It's just a matter of containing Kobe.

I don't think Stoney either understands what match up means, or is just such a fanboy that any possibility of anyone beating LA clouds his ability to read. For the record I already said LA is the favorite. The question is about matchups.

By that logic, let's talk about who has the nicest hair-doos. It has nothing to do with what will actually happen on the court, but it makes good conversation.
So just so we're clear TX, you think the rox match up better with the Lakers than the Jazz, even though the Lakers swept you guys this season? I'm not trying to start crap, I'm just trying to interpret your post.

I think if you look at it in terms of individual matchups, the Rockets matchup better with the Lakers in the aspect that the Rockets players don't have to go out of their comfort zone whereas Okur and Williams can spread out and break down that Rocket defense.

The Lakers are just sound overall but the don't put the Rockets out of their comfort zone. It's just a matter of containing Kobe.

I think that's an excellent way of phrasing it, and I agree. The Rockets are better equipped to deal with Kobe than anyone else in the league w/Battier & Artest, and Bynum has a hard time on offense against guys that are bigger than him. (Yao) I see where TX is coming from.

That being said, I don't think that Houston has the offensive firepower to beat the Lakers, and Artest usually wants to prove what a big man he is by jacking up 3's in Kobe's face. Artest always seems to mentally disintegrate after Kobe hits a couple of tough shots on him and turns it into a 1-on-1 thing.

As for Utah, I think that Lowry would be very key in that series.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I think that's an excellent way of phrasing it, and I agree. The Rockets are better equipped to deal with Kobe than anyone else in the league w/Battier & Artest, and Bynum has a hard time on offense against guys that are bigger than him. (Yao) I see where TX is coming from.

That being said, I don't think that Houston has the offensive firepower to beat the Lakers, and Artest usually wants to prove what a big man he is by jacking up 3's in Kobe's face. Artest always seems to mentally disintegrate after Kobe hits a couple of tough shots on him and turns it into a 1-on-1 thing.

Houston doesn't have the firepower. Man, if T-Lack can put his ego aside, he would be deadly coming off the bench with the #2s. He is always looking to score and I think he would really put the Rockets to an elite level if he decided to do that. Top teams have good firepower coming off the bench.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Do any of the contenders? For anyone to beat LA, they will have to make it a low scoring game, which Houston is capable of doing, as is Cle or Boston. Is it likely that that will happen enough to win a series, not very, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. It really doesn't matter though because even if this does happen, when it comes down to calls are the refs going to favor Kobe or Ron Artest in any situation? This why I think Cleveland is the only team with a chance. When it matters, stars get the calls and the only one who gets more iffy ones is LBJ.
Do any of the contenders? For anyone to beat LA, they will have to make it a low scoring game, which Houston is capable of doing, as is Cle or Boston. Is it likely that that will happen enough to win a series, not very, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. It really doesn't matter though because even if this does happen, when it comes down to calls are the refs going to favor Kobe or Ron Artest in any situation? This why I think Cleveland is the only team with a chance. When it matters, stars get the calls and the only one who gets more iffy ones is LBJ.

But even in a slow-paced game, the Lakers still have two 7 footers that thrive in the half court, and it's very difficult to keep both of them off of the offensive glass. It's very difficult to get anything but jump shots against them if you don't run.

That's why the only team that scares me is a healthy Boston squad. They can slow the game down, and then they have two very good interior defenders/rebounders that have enough size to match up with our bigs. When Bynum's healthy, this team is REALLY big. I still think the Lakers would beat them in a 7 game series, but they're our most difficult matchup.

Teams lose focus against LA. LA thrives on turnovers. They force a team into playing sloppier than they normally do because of their length. Teams think a normal pass in most situations will also work against the Lakers until they see the back of a yellow jersey on a free layup after a tipped ball from a pass.

Having said that, minimizing turnovers would keep the score close but then you have to deal with Kobe in the last minute when the score is close.

On top of that, LA doesn't shoot a great percentage but the ridiculous number of offensive boards they get make up for that. Phil (or his assistants) have always been great at formatting a game plan that puts people into optimal position to get offensive boards.

They are just hard to beat and easy to lose against.
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A

I couldn't agree more...Utah poses many more problems to us Rocks than the Lakers. Yes, the Lakers swept the series; but if I recall the last 2 games were very close & the Lakers won simply cause they gave the ball to Kobe in the final 3 mins & said win the game & he did...

If the Rocks "could" (probably not happen) contain Kobe then the Rocks could beat the Lakers in a 7 game series...Its just too much Kobe for Rockets to handle...
I've said this ALL SEASON long, no team in the NBA depends as much on the superstar player as the Lakers do (exception maybe Miami) If you contain Kobe, I'll take my chances with Gasol & Odom.

Utah just has too many "big" players the spread that floor & create a nightmare for Rocks, Yao has to step outside & things go south from there...

PS.
Did you guys see Deke last night @ GS? 10 pts 14 rebs 4 bs....

• sarpp
  • Info N/A
Yao missing games due to a sore foot???

This team can't be that unlucky right??? I mean last year 30 some games missed, this year playing without T-Mac & now you're telling me Yao in trouble again???

Here's to hoping that a couple of days rest for the "Great Wall" will be all he needs to be ready for the playoffs!!!
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A
Yao will apparently play tonight against NO...Good to hear...

We need that 3rd seed to avoid possibly playing Lakers in round 2 (thats if we can actually get out of round 1...lol)

Can someone, please tell those Warriors to please beat the Spurs for us!!!
We can still win the Southwest, baby, with a little help.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Maybe New Orleans is nothing to worry about. What a whippin.
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A
Maybe New Orleans is nothing to worry about. What a whippin.

I agree, although Chandler didn't play for them, either way we beat the Hornets 3-1 this season, only the Lakers have the edge in the season series (4-0 ouch) every other Western conference team has either tied us (2-2 San Antonio) or lost the series to us 3-1 (Hornets,Blazers,Nuggets) We could actually make the conference finals!

They way we are currently playing, I only worry about the Lakers, everybody else should be beatable...Especially with home court advantage...

If Denver lose in Portland (very probable) & we beat Mavs in Dallas (also probable) then not only do we win the Southwest, but we get the 2nd seed in the West...WOW...That would be a great accomplishment for this team, considering everything thats happened to us...

Personally Rick Adleman should win coach of the year...
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I agree Adelman deserves COY. To deal with the injuries and a million line ups and still get a possible top 2 or 3 seed in a competitive west. I don't think any coach has overcome that kind of adersity, but he won't even get mentioned because those awards are a joke anyway.
As far as having a home court advantage, that would be true for most teams, but not Houston. I would say Houston has one of the worst home court "advantages" in the league, always has. People show up late, most of the better seats are courtesy of the oil companies or some other corporation given to people who aren't even casual fans. Watch a game and see if you ever spot the same people in the good seats, especially courtside. You won't. I would say a lot of the time Houston actually looks better on the road. It's funny, the only team in the city to bring a championship home is easily the 3rd most popular.
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A
I agree Adelman deserves COY. To deal with the injuries and a million line ups and still get a possible top 2 or 3 seed in a competitive west. I don't think any coach has overcome that kind of adersity, but he won't even get mentioned because those awards are a joke anyway.
As far as having a home court advantage, that would be true for most teams, but not Houston. I would say Houston has one of the worst home court "advantages" in the league, always has. People show up late, most of the better seats are courtesy of the oil companies or some other corporation given to people who aren't even casual fans. Watch a game and see if you ever spot the same people in the good seats, especially courtside. You won't. I would say a lot of the time Houston actually looks better on the road. It's funny, the only team in the city to bring a championship home is easily the 3rd most popular.

I tend to disagree, This year the Rocks have been very GOOD at home 33-8 (tied for 2nd best in West) not going to be easy to win at Toyota Center...
We are really playing good defense & that my friend is what you need in the playoffs...Shooting can be off, shots might not be going in, missed free throws, bad refereeing calls, BUT if you play defense the way the Rockets play, they'll have a chance to win every game in the playoffs they play & thats all we can ask for!

Ask the Hornets if they liked our defense last night? Season-low 66 points.
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A
Not only did Hornets ONLY score 66 points, but look at the great CP3 stat line:

9 Points & 7 assists: FIRST time all-season long that CP3 has been held to single digits both in scoring & assits!!! If thats not defense than I don't know what is...
Now if we could only do that to Kobe in the playoffs??? Ok, I should wake up now..
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Sorry, I've been going to games since the Summit and the fans have always been lukewarm at best. What about the "Red Rowdies" How many other teams have actually had to bribe fans to come to games and have some spirit? I don't really think the home record is indicative of the fans, more coicendence. Either way, they should be getting out of the first this year regardless of homecourt.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home