There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2008-09 NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Kobe May Opt Out
Jun 15, 2009 11:30 AM EST

A report from the Los Angeles Times indicated that Kobe Bryant could opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent July 1st.

Bryant conceivably could depart the Lakers for another team, but that scenario appears highly unlikely.

The club's long term outlook as a perennial title contender will affect his decision, according to sources that spoke with the Los Angeles Times.

The report from the Los Angeles Times indicated that a maximum 'extension' would be for five years and $135 million, but that is inaccurate.

If Bryant opts out of his contract, he will be eligible to sign a six-year contract for approximately $169 million. Because Bryant has more than 10 years of service, he can sign for 105% of his 08-09 salary of over $21.26 million, which would put him over $22.325 million in 09-10. He can then have 10.5% in raises each season after the first season.

If the Lakers signed Bryant to a full max deal, he would make $31.7 million in 13-14 and just over $34 million in 14-15.

Should Bryant elect to sign with another club, that team could pay him $128.6 million over five years with $29.1 million in 13-14.

I dont think he will opt out and if he does its only to sign a long term deal with us, he wouldnt make us give him that kinda cash money cuz he knows that'll restrict us in getting LO & Trevor...speaking of which, are we gonna get an offseason thread or what Stoney? Im waiting for you to do the honors man...
I was just thinking about that the other day. Shouldn't Kobe opt out and reup for a new max contract? It is the smart thing for him to do.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
I was just thinking about that the other day. Shouldn't Kobe opt out and reup for a new max contract? It is the smart thing for him to do.

I hope not...Id like to imagine that hes reached a stage in his career where he knows that he no longer needs the cash money and if anything will take a bit of a pay cut so that we can sign LO/Trevor and possibly some other pieces (an actual backup center and someone/something to replace Luke with would be nice...)
Actually, a Kobe opt out is good news. If he opts out and re-signs, it will save us a bit of money this year, which is when we need it most because Fisher & Morrison will come off of the books next year, and we need a little extra cash for Ariza & Odom this offseason.

I'll spare you the details, but it saves us around $1,000,000 this year, IIRC.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 15, 2009 at 12:12:55 ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Actually, a Kobe opt out is good news. If he opts out and re-signs, it will save us a bit of money this year, which is when we need it most because Fisher & Morrison will come off of the books next year, and we need a little extra cash for Ariza & Odom this offseason.

Do you see him taking a pay cut at all though? Like am I the only one who thinks he should and will consider and if he had a f**king heart would take a pay cut? Im saying if the max we can give him is 6 years 169 then he should take 6 years 120, so Im not saying give away all your money, just have it where we can sign both LO and Trevor long term too and not have Kobes taking up all our cap space in 2012-2013
Is there anybody on the radar for the draft? Jodie Meeks has declared for the draft so this might push somebody down to the lakers on the second round.

[ Edited by fister30 on Jun 15, 2009 at 12:18:46 ]
Originally posted by GameOver:

I hope not...Id like to imagine that hes reached a stage in his career where he knows that he no longer needs the cash money and if anything will take a bit of a pay cut so that we can sign LO/Trevor and possibly some other pieces (an actual backup center and someone/something to replace Luke with would be nice...)

But he already got his championship. If they came up short this year I could see that.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by fister30:
Who do the lakers keep get for next year and who from this squad will not be there?

All i know is that if they Lakers even have a chance of repeating Adam Morrison better get more playing time

haha. Who do you like? (nba team)

The wolves.

and proud of it, im not a bandwagon type of guy

Do you see him taking a pay cut at all though? Like am I the only one who thinks he should and will consider and if he had a f**king heart would take a pay cut? Im saying if the max we can give him is 6 years 169 then he should take 6 years 120, so Im not saying give away all your money, just have it where we can sign both LO and Trevor long term too and not have Kobes taking up all our cap space in 2012-2013

No, I don't see him taking a pay cut, and I don't think he should either. He missed out on the mega-contracts that Shaq, KG, & Jordan got before the last collective bargaining agreement came into place. No one was upset with Jordan when he was making $30+ million in the 90's.

If we don't sign LO and/or Ariza, that's because Buss doesn't want to do it. He makes an operating profit of around $50M a year to go along with a $10M+ annual salary that he pays himself. There's plenty of money to go around.

No, I don't see him taking a pay cut, and I don't think he should either. He missed out on the mega-contracts that Shaq, KG, & Jordan got before the last collective bargaining agreement came into place. No one was upset with Jordan when he was making $30+ million in the 90's.

If we don't sign LO and/or Ariza, that's because Buss doesn't want to do it. He makes an operating profit of around $50M a year to go along with a $10M+ annual salary that he pays himself. There's plenty of money to go around.

i think kobe will take a paycut, not a huge one, but that would give the lakers room to sign Odom and Ariza,

i think kobe will take a paycut, not a huge one, but that would give the lakers room to sign Odom and Ariza,

They don't need "room." They have bird rights and can go over the cap and into luxury tax territory. And like Pete said, LA is lucky because they are one of the few teams who make a ton of money.

They don't need "room." They have bird rights and can go over the cap and into luxury tax territory. And like Pete said, LA is lucky because they are one of the few teams who make a ton of money.

i understand that but isnt ur owner wanting to stay at a certain number payroll wise

Ahh...well then lets just hope they get resigned then...Im just thinking...a grand gesture by Kobe...would be to take a paycut...but at the same time...6 years 169 mill is a s**t load of cash money...

i understand that but isnt ur owner wanting to stay at a certain number payroll wise

Yes, but why should a player take less money because the owner wants to make more?

But he already got his championship. If they came up short this year I could see that.

If they came up short Id see him opting out and either demanding max or saying f**k it and going else where...since we won the ring I feel like he got that Shaq monkey off his back, now hes chasing Jordans 6 and what better way to get Jordans sick than by getting ANOTHER 3 peat ala Jordan...and so as a result, you'd only want to improve your team, not stay the same, so resigning Trevor & Lamar is priority but then adding another piece would be fantastic...idk...offseason time is always that time of the year where I am just in awe of these huge massive contracts and then see the measly 8.50 an hour I make...lol
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com