Originally posted by AC49er:
Originally posted by JR80:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
rivals have us ranked at 12 in the top 25 for 2009

dont know if it means anything, thought it was interesting

I hope Riley can step it up

I hope Brock Mansion can step it up

Yeah Riley has been too erractic to be our QB. Brock is a Monster and would like to see him get a chance. Also the Bears have a 4-star QB coming onto the squad next year. Im not saying he will start as a true freshmen but will hopefully push our QB's to be better.

I totally agree.
The pre-ranking is a big deal. If we are started out in a decent position, maybe we can actually get a good ranking in the season. Sometimes it takes to long to crack the top 10 if you don't start there. Besides, it helps hype J Best for the start of the year. Anything to help put the school on the map. It helps recruiting, TV which is money for the program, etc. This eyewash stuff is huge in College football. Hopefully this time, when they get a decent rank, we don't lose to a bad team. That seems to be our MO. The loss to Maryland this year shouldn't have happened. They were a good team, but we didnt start playing until the 3rd quarter.

How amazing would it be for a Saturday night game at Memorial vs. USC with the whole gameday crew there!!!

That would be the deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially if Corso picked the Bears.

[ Edited by SF49erFaithful on Jan 12, 2009 at 14:25:33 ]
  • JR80
  • Veteran
hey there typical Cal fans, getting ahead of yourselves again? Haha, I'm sort of kidding but not really.

We're not ranked #12 by anybody reputable. We're ranked #26 for what it's worth. We don't have a QB. We don't have a LB core, and we still don't have WRs that can catch the ball. So before we start dreaming of gameday at Memorial with Lee Corso putting on Oski's head...let's focus on what's more important.

Sorry to harsh your highs, but seriously....wtf? Have you guys not been watching Cal the past couple of years? It's CAL, not Florida, Oklahoma, USC or any team in the top 5. They will find a way to screw it up, not only because we don't have the talent, because we don't have the composure. Don't act surprised when it happens, be surprised when it doesn't happen.
Originally posted by JR80:
hey there typical Cal fans, getting ahead of yourselves again? Haha, I'm sort of kidding but not really.

We're not ranked #12 by anybody reputable. We're ranked #26 for what it's worth. We don't have a QB. We don't have a LB core, and we still don't have WRs that can catch the ball. So before we start dreaming of gameday at Memorial with Lee Corso putting on Oski's head...let's focus on what's more important.

Sorry to harsh your highs, but seriously....wtf? Have you guys not been watching Cal the past couple of years? It's CAL, not Florida, Oklahoma, USC or any team in the top 5. They will find a way to screw it up, not only because we don't have the talent, because we don't have the composure. Don't act surprised when it happens, be surprised when it doesn't happen.

DEFINITELY HALF-EMPTY

Im in no way declaring Cal the next USC, Florida, Oklahoma, or Texas. All I was saying that it would be great to have the crew down for a big game against USC. It will be tough for Cal to overtake USC atop the Pac-10 let alone getting past both Oregon schools. I think next season will be alot like this one. Cal will beat the teams they should beat and lose to ones they should. They still have a great defensive unit even with the loss of 3 LB's. The secondary & DL remain intact and Mike Muhammed will show us all why he forced his way into the starting LB core this season. If we can land Kenard (stud DE) we should be able to get plenty of pressure on the opposing QB. The offense will only get better. Replacing the FB will be the main issue concerning replacments. RIley & Brock will fight for the job with the freshmen knocking on the door. The stud OL prospect will fill right in where Mack left off and continue to make the OL relatively consistent. JB & Shane will carry this team. Our WR will be back and hopefully some new blood can come in and compete. Lastly our Special teams is looking good if we can get a new kicker. Anger is amazing and Syd & JB are good on KO & PR. Work still needs to be done but you make it seem like there is no hope.
How about a little link dropping...

BAD NEWS:

Morrah to NFL

GOOD NEWS:

Top 25 recruiting class

Receiving Top 20 rankings
I think you guys will end up with Devon Kennard. He is a DE from Tempe,AZ and is on just about every top 10 list, just a total beast.

He is taking home visits from Texas, USC, and Cal this week (he wont let us come visit him ).

Supposedly he is a really smart kid and wants to go to a school with strong academics, so I give you guys the edge.
Follow the recruiting trail all day....

LINK

Dot some good names so far and the day is still young.
People who have signed
cant wait to find this years "kevin hart"
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
cant wait to find this years "kevin hart"

yeah I was just watching that story on OTL again...I mean I know the kid is dumb, but how dumb do you have to be?
How's it looking guys? Can we expect big things of these guys coming in? What does the future hold?

Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
How's it looking guys? Can we expect big things of these guys coming in? What does the future hold?

We lost Stanley Hasiak this morning to UCLA. 4 star Tackle from Hawaii. That loss likely moves the class out of the Top 25. We were about 18-20 with him in the class.

Big loss.

Didnt get any surprises today & we lost out on a few big names (Kenard & Hasik) but we get a 4 star at QB, LB, DT, C & CB. These players should help with the depature of some key players last year

Didnt get any surprises today & we lost out on a few big names (Kenard & Hasik) but we get a 4 star at QB, LB, DT, C & CB. These players should help with the depature of some key players last year

This is a decent class. We're only ranked in the 30s and 40s on most publications but a lot of this has to do with the fact that it's a relatively small class. If you take into account average stars we'd more likely be in the high-teens to low-twenties. With the defection of some USC coaches to Udub and the Neuweasel doing his thing in Westwood, recruiting's gonna be that much harder in the Pac. You know a lot of negative recruiting's going on and I can't imagine those other coaches didn't mention the poor quarterbacking at Cal the last couple years...among other things. The reason we didn't bag more much needed help at wideout. We need whoever JT decides on to light it up next season. The good news is, facilities won't be a hindrance much longer.
Originally posted by joesfumanchu:

This is a decent class. We're only ranked in the 30s and 40s on most publications but a lot of this has to do with the fact that it's a relatively small class. If you take into account average stars we'd more likely be in the high-teens to low-twenties. With the defection of some USC coaches to Udub and the Neuweasel doing his thing in Westwood, recruiting's gonna be that much harder in the Pac. You know a lot of negative recruiting's going on and I can't imagine those other coaches didn't mention the poor quarterbacking at Cal the last couple years...among other things. The reason we didn't bag more much needed help at wideout. We need whoever JT decides on to light it up next season. The good news is, facilities won't be a hindrance much longer.

Another reason why it is tough to recruit to Cal is that they have such high academic standard for recruits.
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joesfumanchu:

Another reason why it is tough to recruit to Cal is that they have such high academic standard for recruits.

Ummm...not really for our football players. We actually have one of the lowest team GPA's in the Pac-10 and an embarrassingly low graduation rate. The simple fact of the matter is, is that we treat regular students and football players on two completely different planes of existence. It's actually kind of sad...

The most recent statistic I've seen puts us at a 44% graduation rate for our football team compared to Stanfurd's 94%, even UCLA is at 59%. The only team we're better than is Arizona who posts a lowly 39% rate.
Share 49ersWebzone