LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 179 users in the forums

***Official Boxing Thread***

Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
He was an amtuar boxing champion in Ireland, and was a boxer before turning to MMA. I couldn't find any videos of his boxing matches other than sparring, but I don't need to in order to study and recognize his boxing skills. I have watched every match in his MMA career, and his boxing skills are superb. The best boxer in UFC history, his counter striking and timing is incredible, great head movement, has a terrific left hand straight that could KO anyone and beautiful uppercuts. I box and train muay thai so I understand the art, I know a great boxer when I see one. Only 2 MMA fighters could have ever had successful careers as boxers: Conor McGregor and Anderson Silva. Trust me he is no joke. Just take the time to watch some of his highlights to see how good his hands are.

ok man. Wonder why he didnt pursue boxing tho

I dont think he is a joke however there is a huge difference when you don't have the luxury of using your legs as defensive/offensive tools. IMO in spacing, timing and balance are key. From what i've seen those attributes are not as important in the ufc. IMO mma guys are more often than not off balance and swinging with their heads down which leads to ground game.

Not true, spacing timing and balance are all very important in MMA as well. But you are right regarding many MMA fighters being off balnce and swinging recklessly with their heads down, but Conor is not one of those. He is incredibly patient, smart, and accurate with his punches, and has tremendous balance. And though not being able to kick will make offense more difficult, not having to worry about his opponent kicking or taking him down will make defense much easier.
idk 4EF, Maybe CM's success was due to terrible MMA boxers

Unless you have truley followed his career, it will be hard to convince a boxing fan that McGregor is a legitimate boxer. But fyi Nate Diaz is a tremendous boxer and has trained with Andre Ward. Andre himself said the Diaz brothers can hang with any boxer in the sport. And McGregor completely outclassed Nate in boxing.

Here is the link to the video of Andre Ward talking about the Diaz brothers boxing skills: http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/11/19/andre-ward-ufc-conor-mcgregor-nick-nate-diaz/

Aldo is also a great boxer, and he was unbeaten for 10 years before McGregor KOd him in just 13 seconds.

But to be fair, Aldo is usually a much more patient and smarter fighter than that, he came in recklessly against Conor, and paid for it. One of Conor's best skills is the ability to punch you while moving back as you can see here.
yeah those two clips don't really show how good MMA boxers

as for Ward i don't really seem him as a great boxer, so diaz probably looks tough to him
sorry man im not buying. there was no skill there in that 2nd clip. it was just 2 dudes swinging for the fences after the bell rang. connor just happen to get em. also that lazy ass jab that got diaz caught up was hella amatuer.
id like to see some highlights of connors 3 losses tho or do those not count?
id like to see some highlights of connors 3 losses tho or do those not count?

All three of his losses were sumbissions, jiu-jitsu and wrestling are his weaknesses, never has he been knocked out, he is the superior boxer in every match he has ever competed in.
He was an amtuar boxing champion in Ireland, and was a boxer before turning to MMA. I couldn't find any videos of his boxing matches other than sparring, but I don't need to in order to study and recognize his boxing skills. I have watched every match in his MMA career, and his boxing skills are superb. The best boxer in UFC history, his counter striking and timing is incredible, great head movement, has a terrific left hand straight that could KO anyone and beautiful uppercuts. I box and train muay thai so I understand the art, I know a great boxer when I see one. Only 2 MMA fighters could have ever had successful careers as boxers: Conor McGregor and Anderson Silva. Trust me he is no joke. Just take the time to watch some of his highlights to see how good his hands are.

I dont think he is a joke however there is a huge difference when you don't have the luxury of using your legs as defensive/offensive tools. IMO in spacing, timing and balance are key. From what i've seen those attributes are not as important in the ufc. IMO mma guys are more often than not off balance and swinging with their heads down which leads to ground game.

Not true, spacing timing and balance are all very important in MMA as well. But you are right regarding many MMA fighters being off balnce and swinging recklessly with their heads down, but Conor is not one of those. He is incredibly patient, smart, and accurate with his punches, and has tremendous balance. And though not being able to kick will make offense more difficult, not having to worry about his opponent kicking or taking him down will make defense much easier.
idk 4EF, Maybe CM's success was due to terrible MMA boxers

Unless you have truley followed his career, it will be hard to convince a boxing fan that McGregor is a legitimate boxer. But fyi Nate Diaz is a tremendous boxer and has trained with Andre Ward. Andre himself said the Diaz brothers can hang with any boxer in the sport. And McGregor completely outclassed Nate in boxing.

Here is the link to the video of Andre Ward talking about the Diaz brothers boxing skills: http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/11/19/andre-ward-ufc-conor-mcgregor-nick-nate-diaz/

Aldo is also a great boxer, and he was unbeaten for 10 years before McGregor KOd him in just 13 seconds.

But to be fair, Aldo is usually a much more patient and smarter fighter than that, he came in recklessly against Conor, and paid for it. One of Conor's best skills is the ability to punch you while moving back as you can see here.
yeah those two clips don't really show how good MMA boxers

as for Ward i don't really seem him as a great boxer, so diaz probably looks tough to him

What are your guys thoughts on his uppercut?

If you are truley a fan of boxing, you must see that his uppercut is very nice.

He turned to MMA because he is also very good at kickboxing, and he liked the art and how it was fighting at it's finest with no limits. But he respects and loves boxing, it is where he began his career.

looks like something you would see at 2am at a trendy bar

Lol please...

When was the last time Floyd KOd someone? Lol guarantee you he wouldn't KO Conor, he would have to fight cautiously and point his way to a decison as usual. One mistake by him is all it would take for Conor to pull off the upset.

I'll tell you this, it will be much more competitive than the Pacquiao fight was.

Lol please...

When was the last time Floyd KOd someone? Lol guarantee you he wouldn't KO Conor, he would have to fight cautiously and point his way to a decison as usual. One mistake by him is all it would take for Conor to pull off the upset.

I'll tell you this, it will be much more competitive than the Pacquiao fight was.
Doubt it, CM is too slow like that Hatton gif i posted

Lol please...

Doubt it, CM is too slow like that Hatton gif i posted

My man... I'm not sure if you are just trolling me or you really believe Conor is slow... just do me a favor and look up some of his fights... and Conor is a counter fighter like Floyd so he won't attack recklessly like that. But at the same time, he knows Floyd will be too scared to move forward, so Conor will take it upon himself to do so in order to give us a show and good fight, even though it goes against his style. He, like Floyd, waits for you to come forward, than he counters and KO's you. That's why I'd personally rather seem him fight Pacquiao or Canelo.
My man... I'm not sure if you are just trolling me or you really believe Conor is slow... just do me a favor and look up some of his fights... and Conor is a counter fighter like Floyd so he won't attack recklessly like that. But at the same time, he knows Floyd will be too scared to move forward, so Conor will take it upon himself to do so in order to give us a show and good fight, even though it goes against his style. He, like Floyd, waits for you to come forward, than he counters and KO's you. That's why I'd personally rather seem him fight Pacquiao or Canelo.
you posted some examples, why would you post those if they aren't helping your point ?

I don't think he would last against Canelo, Paq he would beat
you posted some examples, why would you post those if they aren't helping your point ?

They are helping my point, but that point won't reach you if you only see what you want to see.

You're right he would probably lose to Canelo. I agree he would beat Paq, especially at this stage in his career. Conor has the size advantage and Paq's agressive style would suit Conor's counter style perfectly.

Must say I'm suprised you think Conor would beat Paqiauo, shows that you do recognize Conor's boxing skills a little bit.

They are helping my point, but that point won't reach you if you only see what you want to see.

You're right he would probably lose to Canelo. I agree he would beat Paq, especially at this stage in his career. Conor has the size advantage and Paq's agressive style would suit Conor's counter style perfectly.

Must say I'm suprised you think Conor would beat Paqiauo, shows that you do recognize Conor's boxing skills a little bit.
Paq in his prime he wont touch, Paq now is about as slow as Conor..so it could be just a slug fest and who gets KOd first

i just don;t see the speed from CM, it could be cause he hasn't really fought a boxer. He should get his feet wet with some fights first and show what he can do
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 8, 2016 at 6:54 PM ]
MMA in a boxing thread.

Until he fights a pro boxing match, this should be on the MMA thread.
Share 49ersWebzone