There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***Official Boxing Thread***

Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Yeah, Mikey epitomizes what you want in a boxer. He's 'perfect'.

I think he might be hiding a little glass in his chin, though. I would pay to see him fight Yuriorkis Gamboa.

I dont think that dude could hang. Not too bright upstairs imo.

One knock on Mikey is his lack of aggression. Rigo gets slammed for his.

What I like about Mikey is the way he starts off a bit slow in the beginning of the fight, being more of a defensive fighter. then, he starts to be more aggressive, stalking his opponent, but still playing the defensive game. at that point, he's already landed some good shots and begins to feel comfortable throwing accurate combinations. absolutely love that.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
https

THIS is the Yuriorkis Gamboa that had everyone touting him as a future P4P champion. Completely outclassing and beating the hell out of a 41(30ko) - 3 Jorge Solis. I really hope he gets back to this level. I think he's too heavy right now. He's already a midget and 135 is way too big for him... he doesn't have the same power he had at featherweight.

This is when he was matched easier. Some fighters don't look the same against world class competition.
what are the upcoming fights?
This weeks schedule.

Fox Sports 1 - Jan 30 (10PM ET/7PM PT)
Victor Ortiz vs. Luis Collazo
(welterweight) Gary Russell is on the undercard.

ESPN2 - Jan 31 (9PM ET/6PM PT)
Elvir Muriqi vs. Blake Caparello
(light heavyweight)

AWE - Feb 1 (3PM ET/Noon PT)
Lee Selby vs. Rendall Munroe
(featherweight)

UniMas - Feb 1 (12AM ET/PT)
Gilberto Ramirez vs. Don Mouton
(middleweight)
I dont watch a LOT of boxing but I turned on Showtime over the weekend and saw Lamont Peterson win his title fight at 140 pounds. Never have watched this guy before but I wasnt overly impressed to tell you the truth. No doubt he won the fight but I could see him getting smoked by someone who has a big punch.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I dont watch a LOT of boxing but I turned on Showtime over the weekend and saw Lamont Peterson win his title fight at 140 pounds. Never have watched this guy before but I wasnt overly impressed to tell you the truth. No doubt he won the fight but I could see him getting smoked by someone who has a big punch.

He did get smoked by someone who has a big punch:

if you want to start watching boxing, watch Mikey Garcia, Lucas Matthysse, Golovkin, Nonito Donaire, Andre Ward, Canelo Alvarez, Danny Garcia
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

if you want to start watching boxing, watch Mikey Garcia, Lucas Matthysse, Golovkin, Nonito Donaire, Andre Ward, Canelo Alvarez, Danny Garcia

Abner Mares, Shawn Porter, Leo Santa Cruz, Guillermo Rigondeaux.
Apparently the camps of Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez are near an agreement and an announcement could be coming shortly. The fight date is June 7 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

The WBC Board of Governors is planning a February 11 meeting in Mexico City, at which they are expected to elect the next WBC President. Mauricio Sulaiman is the frontrunner.

43-year-old cruiserweight Firat Arslan says despite his TKO loss to WBO champion Marco Huck he will continue his career if future fights could lead to another world championship. Meanwhile, Huck's trainer Ulli Wegner has proclaimed that Huck would knock out heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.

The big fight of the week is WBA middleweight champion Gennady "GGG" Golovkin against Osumanu Adama in Monte Carlo. Still no U.S. TV for that one. Golovkin is a -7000 favorite to retain his belt. Adama is +3000. The over/under is set at 8 1/2 rounds with "over" at +180 and "under" at -240.

A rumor is being widely reported that Floyd Mayweather allegedly bet $10 million on the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl.
no tv for GGG? weak
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
no tv for GGG? weak

this. pisses me off
Dont forget tonight.

[ Edited by MoistButtCheeks on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM ]
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
Dont forget tonight.

thanks for the reminder. will set on DVR
The light punching Collazo just BRUTALLY knocked out Ortiz
Ortiz is done. Feel bad for the dude but you can't get stupid with world class fighters. You can't take that much time off without paying a price.