LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

***Official Boxing Thread***

Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
nobody wants to get in the ring with Ward.

it's unfortunate cuz he's the type that could dominate the scene.

Who is there for him to fight? Froch?

Hopkins
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Hopkins

That would be a walk in the park.
Hopkins has no reason to fight Ward. A likely loss with a great fighter who's going to muck things up and make it difficult to do anything. Actually, both fighters are somewhat similar. Neither has anything to gain from this.

Adonis Stevenson was talking about fighting Ward but I'm still not sold on him. I mean, the only thing he's ever did that was noteworthy was KO'ing Chad Dawson (who I think is weak to begin with). He clearly has knockout power, though, but Ward would walk circles around him.

I think Andre Direll died. He refuses to do anything. But again, Ward would humiliate him.

I'd like to see him fight that Kovalev kid, but that wouldn't happen for another year or so... if it even does happen. The Russian has some major pop, though. Hell of a puncher. Maybe Ward could meet someone at a catch-weight? Golovkin? Martinez? Again, not likely.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Hopkins has no reason to fight Ward. A likely loss with a great fighter who's going to muck things up and make it difficult to do anything. Actually, both fighters are somewhat similar. Neither has anything to gain from this.

Adonis Stevenson was talking about fighting Ward but I'm still not sold on him. I mean, the only thing he's ever did that was noteworthy was KO'ing Chad Dawson (who I think is weak to begin with). He clearly has knockout power, though, but Ward would walk circles around him.

I think Andre Direll died. He refuses to do anything. But again, Ward would humiliate him.

I'd like to see him fight that Kovalev kid, but that wouldn't happen for another year or so... if it even does happen. The Russian has some major pop, though. Hell of a puncher. Maybe Ward could meet someone at a catch-weight? Golovkin? Martinez? Again, not likely.

I forgot about Adonis. But you're right, the only thing he has ever done is connect with one punch.
Tyson Fury is supposedly going to fight David Haye. I might joke about Fury being an idiot, but he's an excellent sportsman and a talented fighter. I know, the only reason he's even relevant is because the Heavyweight division is so bogged down, but he brings some excitement to the ring and he's big with solid movement skills for his size. I'm not sure how many of ya'll have seen Haye, but he's exciting as hell. If these two do sign a contract you can expect more trash talk than Brone/Malinaggi and a helluva fight that will end in a knockout.

Ward is having some major issues with Goosen Tutor promotions. That has been the reason he can't get any fights lined up so far this year.

WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward, appeared before the California Boxing Commission on June 10, 2013, requesting an emergency hearing to address actions by promoter Dan Goossen. Following Ward's public statements asserting Goossen's violations of commission rules, the California Commission ordered the emergency hearing, which is being held on Tuesday. "I believe I am in the prime of my professional boxing career. Actions of a California licensed promoter are preventing me from defending my title and pursuing my profession," said Ward. "A boxer has a limited timeframe to earn his livelihood, provide for his family and, let alone, perform at a championship caliber level. Goossen's actions leave me with the possibility of not stepping in to the ring at all in 2013. I respect the privilege of my boxing license and my responsibilities. I have always felt a comfort level boxing under the California Commission Rules, which fairly protect all fighters and ensure that licensed promoters are in full compliance."

Ward last defended his WBA super middleweight championship on September 8, 2012, when he stopped Chad Dawson in the 10th round on HBO Championship Boxing. Following a January 4 surgical procedure to repair a torn shoulder muscle and subsequent rehabilitation, Ward has been training while waiting for a date for his next title defense. HBO informed Ward's manager James Prince and co-promoters Antonio Leonard Productions and Goossen Tutor that there was a September date available for Ward. When Ward requested that his manager and co-promoters meet with HBO to discuss the September date, future bouts and marketing plans. Goossen refused to attend the meeting. Ward abruptly left training (following his return from Canada where was an HBO commentator for the June 8, 2013 Stevenson-Dawson light heavyweight championship bout) to address the California Boxing Commission at its scheduled bi-monthly meeting.

James Prince, Manager of Ward stated, "It is absolutely crazy to me that this man would stand in the way of Andre's boxing career and his next title defense, and not respect Andre's request that his co-promoter and manager be part of those discussions. Understandably, HBO did not want to get in the middle of any dispute between Andre's co-promoters or Andre and Goossen; but for this man to refuse to attend a meeting because he wanted to be the only one talking with HBO and have sole control over Andre's career is flat out wrong. There are multiple reasons to terminate the promotional agreement with Goossen and we are following proper procedures with our sole objective of always doing what is in the best interests of Andre Ward."

"Goossen had various opportunities to meet with HBO, and to interact with my manager. He refused and otherwise did not respond to my team regarding these important business dealings concerning MY career. I defer to my manager and our attorneys regarding our request to terminate the promotional agreement and the blatant violation of specific commission rules that are in place to protect boxers from unauthorized actions of licensed promoters," added Ward. "Obviously I feel very strongly about this matter as we are appearing before the California Commission to take action to ensure licensed promoters comply with their rules; and for what is in the best interests of not only my boxing career, but all fighters alike," Ward emphasized.

how about the guy that just whooped on dawson?
finally caught that broner fight.. that dude is a fool lol.. with the backwards punch
Thanks for the info Demon. Too bad there is that dumb b******t in boxing. I hope Ward can get rid of that dude.
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/christopher-martin-looking-to-win-and-impress-209170#more-209170

Originally posted by sacniner:
Thanks for the info Demon. Too bad there is that dumb b******t in boxing. I hope Ward can get rid of that dude.

Dan Goosen for the most part has been highly respected by everyone in boxing. This sure as hell doesn't help the sport.
Jesus, Golovkin is sick and so fun to watch. Him and Serg need to fight next.
I think GGG TKO's current, injury-ridden, past-prime Martinez.

Who else could GGG fight? Quillen? Or can he fight the winner of Floyd-Canelo? He looks too small to move up to SMW
Martinez is done because of the hand injuries. Could Ward fight ggg?
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Martinez is done because of the hand injuries. Could Ward fight ggg?

That would be sick... Maybe they could meet at a catch weight? Naturally, Ward seems to be quite a bit bigger.
Share 49ersWebzone