There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***Official Boxing Thread***

This will be a terrible fight. Two counterpunchers? All things being equal go with the longer and faster guy: PBF

The reason Manny and JuanMa's fights were so close is because they each brought a style and that was the complete opposite of each other. Manny was the aggressor while Marquez would counterpunch him.

I can't wait for Pacman vs Pretty Boy Floyd. We finally have a boxer with the speed and power to go toe-to-toe with Mayweather.

This is a really dream match: The last two P4P kings fighting each other. Floyd has never lost and has been a champion in five weight classes while Manny is a champion in six weight classes and has beaten 4 future HOFs on his way to the top. Floyd and his fam will obviously play the villain because of their arrogance, while Manny will play the good guy role because of his humble personality.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
This will be a terrible fight. Two counterpunchers? All things being equal go with the longer and faster guy: PBF

The reason Manny and JuanMa's fights were so close is because they each brought a style and that was the complete opposite of each other. Manny was the aggressor while Marquez would counterpunch him.

I can't wait for Pacman vs Pretty Boy Floyd. We finally have a boxer with the speed and power to go toe-to-toe with Mayweather.

This is a really dream match: The last two P4P kings fighting each other. Floyd has never lost and has been a champion in five weight classes while Manny is a champion in six weight classes and has beaten 4 future HOFs on his way to the top. Floyd and his fam will obviously play the villain because of their arrogance, while Manny will play the good guy role because of his humble personality.
Agreed .

All this is good for boxing.
Mayweather jr looks like he roided up a little.

Props for Floyd defending boxing against MMA ....again.
[ Edited by TonyStarks on May 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM ]
I'm in shock and awe at a lot of people (not necessarily in this forum) just in general who think Mayweather would demolish Pacquiao. Especially after yesterday's fight.

Let's just count it down already. 7 months and counting until Mayweather Pacquiao.

I read somewhere that DLH is lobbying for the Marquez/Mayweather fight to be at 143 instead of 147 which would make sense considering JMM has never fought above 135. Exciting time for boxing that I haven't seen in YEARS.

This just in:
Manny won't wait for Floyd

The article brings up good points:

"I'm very comfortable at 140 pounds [63.5 kilograms]. You could see it in my performance," Pacquiao said. "I want to stay there."

That's the weighty matter that might delay a showdown with Mayweather, who would not say at what weight he will fight the smaller Marquez because talks are still ongoing between 143 and 144 pounds.

Roach said Mayweather feared facing Pacquiao at a similar catchweight.

"Mayweather, he just had to wait one day and he could have fought Manny. I think he's afraid of Manny," Roach said. "He made the fight maybe not happen. We're not going to wait for him. There are other great fighters out there."

US veteran Shane Mosley and Puerto Rico's Miguel Cotto, two fighters who have tried in vain to make a deal to fight Mayweather, were mentioned by Roach as possible next foes for Pacquiao. Asked to predict how Pacquiao-Mayweather would end, Roach said: "We win on points."

I'm not sure how I feel about Pacquiao not waiting to fight Mayweather. He can easily wait until Nov/Dec to set the most anticipated fight up. Fighting Moseley/Cotto would leave him a lot less to gain and a whole helluva lot to lose. Moseley/Cotto will not be easy opponents for Pac, even at a catchweight.
[ Edited by phiLthyphiL on May 3, 2009 at 10:16 PM ]
  • ninerskeet
  • Info N/A
Come on! What does Roach think Money Mayweather is retarded or something? The guy's been out of boxing for 2 years and he really expects him to jump back in against the current P4P #1?

Everybody knew, since March now, that Mayweather was coming back. And everybody knew he'd take a tune-up fight first before trying to get a match with Pac-Man.

Roach knows better than that.
mayweathers plan is just to get paid.

He even stated that him and De la hoya would fight again after the Mayweather /Pac fight.
Originally posted by ninerskeet:
Come on! What does Roach think Money Mayweather is retarded or something? The guy's been out of boxing for 2 years and he really expects him to jump back in against the current P4P #1?

Everybody knew, since March now, that Mayweather was coming back. And everybody knew he'd take a tune-up fight first before trying to get a match with Pac-Man.

I wish he'd taken an easier tune-up though. JMM is a bad motherf*&^%$! Floyd Jr. should win but I wouldn't exactly be shocked if he doesn't.

Sure Pacquiao/Marquez would be interesting...but nowhere near the monster bout that Pacquiao/Mayweather would be.
Originally posted by joesfumanchu:

I wish he'd taken an easier tune-up though. JMM is a bad motherf*&^%$! Floyd Jr. should win but I wouldn't exactly be shocked if he doesn't.

Sure Pacquiao/Marquez would be interesting...but nowhere near the monster bout that Pacquiao/Mayweather would be.
True.

Boxing needs some ppv's though, so that's why I think they need those matchups.
  • ninerskeet
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by joesfumanchu:

Yeah, I was surprised when I found out Marquez was his "tune-up" fight. I still think Mayweather will beat Marquez just because of the speed and size advantage, but it definitely won't come easy.

Then again i guess I'm not too surprised. He picked an opponent that he's favored of beating. Marquez is a pretty big name in the boxing scene, so might as well cash in on your tune-up. Considering the legacy that Marquez and Pacquiao have left from their two fights, this fight can only help build up the eventual Mayweather-Pacquiao fight even more, even though it doesn't really need to get built up.
Well, alot should be said about Marquez.

Marquez fought Pac twice closely.

Hatton didn't even last two rounds. ..lol.
  • Money
I think I'm going to actually have to buy the Mayweather v Pacquiao
Originally posted by Money:

Hattons fight was worth the money IMO.
[ Edited by TonyStarks on May 4, 2009 at 7:43 AM ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Hattons fight were worth the money IMO.

3 minutes of fight =50 dollars.
Originally posted by nothing03:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Hattons fight were worth the money IMO.

3 minutes of fight =50 dollars.

It was actually 5:59. And they did give you 2-3 minutes of pre-fight montage.