Originally posted by Knowledge:
15-8

3-6 vs the Braves

That's a clown contract, bro.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

You're never going to be able to convince me that Bryce Harper in the prime of his career at 25 million per year is a bad contract. That contract is a steal for many years

You're never going to be able to convince me that Bryce Harper in the prime of his career at 25 million per year is a bad contract. That contract is a steal for many years

The problem will be if hes not worth it 6-7 years from now. Full no trade means you're stuck with him, no opt outs means hes stuck with you. How many mega deals have been worth it? It seems like teams are always looking for a way out halfway through.

Obviously Harper is still young, but hes got a lot of miles on him. Plus hes always had nagging injury issues. Those were my main concerns about signing him.

Originally posted by Niners99:

The problem will be if hes not worth it 6-7 years from now. Full no trade means you're stuck with him, no opt outs means hes stuck with you. How many mega deals have been worth it? It seems like teams are always looking for a way out halfway through.

Obviously Harper is still young, but hes got a lot of miles on him. Plus hes always had nagging injury issues. Those were my main concerns about signing him.

He was going to get 300+ million regardless. The years never really mattered. At some point the contract wont be worth it and im sure they know that. They didnt mind spreading it out to allow more money for signings and extensions in the future. 1 Chip and its all worth it. Phillies were paying Cliff Lee 25 mil in 2011 lol
  • pd24
  • Veteran

He was going to get 300+ million regardless. The years never really mattered. At some point the contract wont be worth it and im sure they know that. They didnt mind spreading it out to allow more money for signings and extensions in the future. 1 Chip and its all worth it. Phillies were paying Cliff Lee 25 mil in 2011 lol

He's only had 1 great year and 1 really good year. Under 5 war rest of the seasons. 2 out of the last 3 years were bad. He isn't that good. He is a top 20 to 30 player, but not a 330 million dollar player.
Originally posted by pd24:

He's only had 1 great year and 1 really good year. Under 5 war rest of the seasons. 2 out of the last 3 years were bad. He isn't that good. He is a top 20 to 30 player, but not a 330 million dollar player.

He marketed himself very well. Good player, sometimes great, but not worth that much. But Phillies always seem to have money, so I dont think this hurts them that badly long term wise.
Bryce owns the Braves RN.
Share 49ersWebzone