LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes - AB81 - you are the man. What's the project 2017 cap if everything is rolled over? How would that increase if 1) Kap is cut, 2) if Bethea is cut, 3) if Brooks is cut?
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
Yes - AB81 - you are the man. What's the project 2017 cap if everything is rolled over? How would that increase if 1) Kap is cut, 2) if Bethea is cut, 3) if Brooks is cut?

Add davis
Salary capping with class. Remember during the off season when some said Josh Norman wasn't worth it?
[ Edited by judodono on Sep 25, 2016 at 4:43 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
AB... dont we have to spend most the cap next season??
[ Edited by fan49 on Oct 4, 2016 at 1:54 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Has this been updated since Kaep redid his deal?
AB who, the NFL or the team owners, collects the salary cap interest of the money not spent? TIA
Reading these recent rumors and speculation about Joe Staley and Torrey Smith being on the trading block prompted me to check the linked Salary Cap numbers:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/s/

If my calculations are correct, and considering likely roster moves for next year, based on performance this year, it looks as if the team is looking to shed approximately $50 million before the start of next year:

Kaep: $16.7 Likely Gone
Staley $8.3 Trade Rumors
Brooks: $8 Possibly Cut?
Smith $7.6 Trade Rumors
Bethea $6 Not Playing Well
Dawson $3.1 Age

This does not take into account Gabbert ($2.3, for obvious reasons) .... add that to the current $58 million (plus or minus) and we are well over $100 Million !!!! under the projected cap for next year. Aside from the frustration and aggravation we as die-hard faithful feel at this, one has to ask, why? What is the purpose of all of this? If you are going to own any organization, why would you run it in this way?

Hopefully all of this is a run-up to the sale of the team; although, it seems counter-intuitive to lower the value of a commodity if you hope to get top-dollar for it ....
[ Edited by Kezarbred on Oct 25, 2016 at 8:33 AM ]
Originally posted by Kezarbred:
Reading these recent rumors and speculation about Joe Staley and Torrey Smith being on the trading block prompted me to check the linked Salary Cap numbers:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/s/

If my calculations are correct, and considering likely roster moves for next year, based on performance this year, it looks as if the team is looking to shed approximately $50 million before the start of next year:

Kaep: $16.7 Likely Gone
Staley $8.3 Trade Rumors
Brooks: $8 Possibly Cut?
Smith $7.6 Trade Rumors
Bethea $6 Not Playing Well
Dawson $3.1 Age

This does not take into account Gabbert ($2.3, for obvious reasons) .... add that to the current $58 million (plus or minus) and we are well over $100 Million !!!! under the projected cap for next year. Aside from the frustration and aggravation we as die-hard faithful feel at this, one has to ask, why? What is the purpose of all of this? If you are going to own any organization, why would you run it in this way?

Hopefully all of this is a run-up to the sale of the team; although, it seems counter-intuitive to lower the value of a commodity if you hope to get top-dollar for it ....

If the Niner's fans ever deserved a break, this would be the one.
If they're planning to sale wouldn't they just have kept Tomsula...?
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

idk if they would of kept Tomsula, he wasn't the answer. My problem I have is, if we're gonna trade/release guys like Staley, Smith, Brooks, Bethea, etc.. Then what's the point, when we don't spend the extra money.

All 4 players can help, both this year and next year, so I don't see the point in cutting someone like Brooks, who yes makes $7.8M in cash in 2017, but if they're not gonna use that cap room on a OLB, what's the point of weakening the depth.

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

idk if they would of kept Tomsula, he wasn't the answer. My problem I have is, if we're gonna trade/release guys like Staley, Smith, Brooks, Bethea, etc.. Then what's the point, when we don't spend the extra money.

All 4 players can help, both this year and next year, so I don't see the point in cutting someone like Brooks, who yes makes $7.8M in cash in 2017, but if they're not gonna use that cap room on a OLB, what's the point of weakening the depth.

How does this not look like the answer??

• thl408
AB how does Vance's new deal stack up against recent TE deals?
Originally posted by thl408:
AB how does Vance's new deal stack up against recent TE deals?

Not bad, his deal is around Kyle Rudolph, Dwayne Allen, Jason Witten, Coby Fleener and Charles Clay's deals.

His average if the $35M is correct should be $7M ish, which would make him 13th highest paid TE.
USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports teams were informed on Tuesday that the salary cap is expected to rise to between $166-170 million in 2017.

The salary cap this season is $155.27 million, so it's roughly a $10-15 million increase. The cap has been steadily rising for years with the league just rolling in the money. With more cap space, contracts will keep getting bigger.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

How's our cap situation with the added relief next year?
http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/12/31/14135636/49ers-salary-cap-space-carryover-decision-2017
Share 49ersWebzone