There are 254 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bump, Updated now with Andy Lee extension numbers official.
Looking at those numbers gore and crabs may get cut/traded before 2013 season.
AB, what is the cap hit in dead money if crabs and gore are cut?
[ Edited by bigwads on Jun 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM ]
Can you explain AB, the dead money expenses in relation with Kentwan Balmer (2011), and Taylor Mays (2012, I think) because both were traded for future draft picks??? Thanks a lot bro
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Can you explain AB, the dead money expenses in relation with Kentwan Balmer (2011), and Taylor Mays (2012, I think) because both were traded for future draft picks??? Thanks a lot bro

When a player is traded, the players remaining pro-rated signing bonuses count against the cap. If cut/traded before june 1st, all of the remaining bonus counts, if after june 1st, it's divided into 2 seasons. If it's an unbalanced amount, like with Mays, only 1 years of bonus counted in 2011, and the rest in 2012 since he had 3 years left on his rookie deal.
Originally posted by bigwads:
AB, what is the cap hit in dead money if crabs and gore are cut?

Crabtree has $4.077M in pro-rated bonuses left, and yearly $500K roster bonuses, tied into game day 46 man roster.

If traded/cut, Crabtree right now would save $4M, as $1.359M would count as dead money in 2012, and $2.718M in 2013. Those $500K roster bonuses would be wiped out.

Gore wise, he has little bonus left, no pro-rated, he would save in the 4M range if cut, and no dead money due in 2012 and beyond, as he has just roster and workout bonuses, actually only his $750K workout bonus in 2012 would be dead money.
According to ProFootballTalk.com we have $4.13M in cap space, I have us at $3.29M, I see my difference, Frank Gore has $750K incentive in his deal for reaching 1600 yards combined, that makes up part of the missing $878K.

Also It seems we didn't use, or at least not all of the cap credit from the 2010 Uncapped year penalty on Dallas and Washington, we got $1.643M from the split between 28 teams(Saints and Raiders got none).

I have us at $771K OVER the 2013 cap, but don't worry we have some contracts that should and will be addressed, namely Justin Smith, he has a whopping $8M base salary which can be reduced as part of a extension to $940,000, which leaves around $7.06M in a form of a signing bonus, pro-rated over length of extension. So say he is extended through 2015, meaning that $7.06M i pro-rated over 3 seasons at $2,353,333, giving us a cap savings of $4.706M.
Damn AB. This is great stuff. Thanks for your hard work.
Updated, as of today, and after newest signees.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Thanks buddy. Just one question though.. one # that jumps out at me next year is Goodwin... just wondering how much we would save and what kind of cap hit we would take if he wasn't on the team next year. I'm really wondering if Kilgore or a high draft pick is the way we go. To me Goodwin would really have to improve to earn that 5 mil next year. He seemed average last year but he should get better the 2nd year in the system. Even if he does do you think we keep him at that price? (not like it's a huge # but we could use the savings there)

Originally posted by Gore_21:

Thanks buddy. Just one question though.. one # that jumps out at me next year is Goodwin... just wondering how much we would save and what kind of cap hit we would take if he wasn't on the team next year. I'm really wondering if Kilgore or a high draft pick is the way we go. To me Goodwin would really have to improve to earn that 5 mil next year. He seemed average last year but he should get better the 2nd year in the system. Even if he does do you think we keep him at that price? (not like it's a huge # but we could use the savings there)

Only $666,667 would be dead money, we would save $4.35M if cut after 2012. That $666,667 is left over of his prorated signing bonus amount.
Only $666,667 would be dead money, we would save $4.35M if cut after 2012. That $666,667 is left over of his prorated signing bonus amount.

Thanks AB... that's going to be awfully tempting. Who knows though if he does well enough maybe he would re-structure and possibly even add on a year. I still think they are keying in on Kilgore for the future.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Thanks AB... that's going to be awfully tempting. Who knows though if he does well enough maybe he would re-structure and possibly even add on a year. I still think they are keying in on Kilgore for the future.

At first I loved the Goowin signing, he was a pro bowler, then It seems like a product of the system, next to those 2 OGs, Evans and Nicks. I think he did good job in 2011, but I hope Kilgore is the future, leaving one less pick to be made for that spot.
updated.
My depth chart for 2012

QB(3)- 11 Alex Smith, 7 Colin Kaepernick and 3 Scott Tolzien
RB(5)- 21 Frank Gore, 32 Kendall Hunter, 45 Brandon Jacobs, 28 Rock Cartwright and 23 LaMichael James
FB(1)- 49 Bruce Miller
WR(6)- 84 Randy Moss, 15 Michael Crabtree, 82 Mario Manningham, 19 Ted Ginn Jr., 10 Kyle Williams and 17 A.J. Jenkins
TE(2)- 85 Vernon Davis and 46 Delanie Walker
Flex TE/DE(1)- 40 Demarcus Dobbs
C(2)- 59 Jonathan Goodwin and 67 Daniel Kilgore
LG(2)- 77 Mike Iupati and 66 Joe Looney
RG(2)- 75 Alex Boone and 68 Leonard Davis
LT(2)- 74 Joe Staley and 78 Mike Person
RT(1)- 76 Anthony Davis

DE(2)- 94 Justin Smith and 91 Ray McDonald
NT(2)- 90 Isaac Sopoaba and 93 Ian Williams
DE/NT(1)- 95 Ricky Jean Francois
OLB(3)- 55 Ahmad Brooks, 99 Aldon Smith and 98 Parys Haralson
ILB(4)- 52 Patrick Willis, 53 NaVorro Bowman, 54 Larry Grant and 56 Tavares Gooden
CB(5)- 22 Carlos Rogers, 25 Tarell Brown, 20 Perrish Cox, 29 Chris Culliver and 26 Tramaine Brock
S(5)- 38 Dashon Goldson, 31 Donte Whitner, 27 C.J. Spillman, 30 Trenton Robinson and 43 Colin Jones

ST(3)- 2 David Akers, 4 Andy Lee and 86 Brian Jennings

Thats 52, I'm down to whether we keep a 7th DL(Tukuafu) or a 4th OLB(Bakhtiari), Dobbs was working at OLB, so he may make it so we keep 3 only. Also maybe a 4th QB in Johnson. Maybe a 3rd TE, Reuland, maybe an extra DB(Michael Thomas or Darcel McBath), maybe a 10th OL(Hall and Slowey), but could keep Hall or Slowey over Person

Guys who appears major long shots.

RB(1)- Anthony Dixon
FB(1)- Cameron Bell
WR(6)- Joe Hastings, Brett Swain, Brian Tyms, Nathan Palmer, Chris Owusu and Ben Hannula
TE(2)- Garrett Celek and Joe Sawyer
OL(3)- Chase Beeler, Al Netter, Kenny Wiggins
DL(3)- Tony Jerod-Eddie, Matt Masifilo and Patrick Buytrm
LB(6)- Kenny Row, Alama-Francis(Don't now how to spell 1st name, lol), Joe Holland, Michael Wilhote, Kourtnei Brown and Cam Johnson
DB(3)- Anthony Mosley, Deante' Purvis and Cory Nelms
PK(1)- Giorgio Tavecchio
LS(1)- Kyle Nelson

Competing:

QB(1)- Josh Johnson
TE(1)- Konrad Reuland
OL(2)- Derek Hall and Jason Slowey
DL(1)- Will Tukuafu
LB(1)- Eric Bakhtiari
DB(2)- Michael Thomas and Darcel McBath

Not an chance.

RB(1)- Jewel Hampton (On Non Football Injury List)
OLB(1)- Darius Fleming (torn ACL)
Share 49ersWebzone