There are 184 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by defenderDX:
i'm a noob when it comes to Salary Cap and money, etc etc...

what eventually happens with 'dead money?' does it weigh on the cap?

dead money counts against the cap. It comes from remaining pro-rated bonus money. Like Taylor Mays, he has around $754K left from his 2010 rookie contract that was left, it was $1.131M($377K went onto 2011 cap).

Even though the player was already paid the money it counts against the cap if cut or traded. Goes for every player who has any form of signing bonus in their contract or option bonus, which also pro-rates.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

dead money counts against the cap. It comes from remaining pro-rated bonus money. Like Taylor Mays, he has around $754K left from his 2010 rookie contract that was left, it was $1.131M($377K went onto 2011 cap).

Even though the player was already paid the money it counts against the cap if cut or traded. Goes for every player who has any form of signing bonus in their contract or option bonus, which also pro-rates.

So how long is it considered dead money then? Do we have to pay it in the long run?

So how long is it considered dead money then? Do we have to pay it in the long run?

usually 2 years, depended on length of contract. If it was a 1yr deal and he was cut his bonus money would count as dead money in the year he was cut. If he has multple years left it can be spread over 2 seasons after june 1st. Usually spread evenly, or if odd number of years left the lowest is in the year he waa cut and the rest the next year.

usually 2 years, depended on length of contract. If it was a 1yr deal and he was cut his bonus money would count as dead money in the year he was cut. If he has multple years left it can be spread over 2 seasons after june 1st. Usually spread evenly, or if odd number of years left the lowest is in the year he waa cut and the rest the next year.

i see. last question, how does it get paid off? whh

i see. last question, how does it get paid off? whh

It is basically already paid off in previous years, but for cap purposes it is on the cap for 1 season. So for a player like Mays, who was traded after year 1, his bonus was already paid up front in 2010, but for cap purposes it was pro-rated through 2013.
So AB, what's our cap status as of right now? What kind of money do we have heading into the draft? Do we have Mike Wallace spending money? Not sure we need him, just wondering what our cash flow is like
Originally posted by JoeMontana:
So AB, what's our cap status as of right now? What kind of money do we have heading into the draft? Do we have Mike Wallace spending money? Not sure we need him, just wondering what our cash flow is like

right around 5.5M under. I'm still calculating some numbers, so may be a little lower.
Based on last years figures for the 30th pick(Muhamed Wilkerson), Jenkins' contract should be similar to a 4yr deal worth $6.78M, with $3.5M in bonus. And his 2012 number would be $1.265M, which is around Wilkerson's year one salary.

Based off my figures, and adding his projected $1.265M salary, that would put us under by $5M.
I did a little number crunching since saturday's day 3 of the draft went, and I've come up with what our projected cap number for rookie should be for the 7 picks.

It should be around $4.032M for the 7 picks for 2012 season. It is lower than I thought, I estimated between $5-$6M, but it helped with lower picks in each round, and no 3rd rd pick, so it helps tremendously, plus based on the new CBA draft numbers won't be much higher then 2011's cap figures based on only a $225K cap rise.
One other note, only the first 3 picks will count against the top 51 salaries when signed.

Jason how much do we have going into 2013 to play with?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Right now I have us at $118M in committed salaries towards the top 51 rule. There are an additional $12.48M in non 51 top salaries, but those are minimum deals, and those guys likely wont make the team.

I also in that 118M am counting projected cap figures for the 7 draftees.

Of course some players won't be here come opening day that count for 2013, namely Dixon, maybe K.Williams, also doubt Haralson is back at his 2013 salary of $2.87M. Plus what ever remaining unused 2012 cap space will be transfered to 2013 as credit.

It's tough to tell what 2013's cap will be set at, might be 125M, maybe 130M, so it will be interesting to see how much it will be.

Right now I have us at $118M in committed salaries towards the top 51 rule. There are an additional $12.48M in non 51 top salaries, but those are minimum deals, and those guys likely wont make the team.

Of course some players won't be here come opening day that count for 2013, namely Dixon, maybe K.Williams, also doubt Haralson is back at his 2013 salary of $2.87M. Plus what ever remaining unused 2012 cap space will be transfered to 2013 as credit.

It's tough to tell what 2013's cap will be set at, might be 125M, maybe 130M, so it will be interesting to see how much it will be.

Would $7 mill be enough going into 2013 if the cap is only raised to $125? Can we get the draft picks and the FA signed with that small amount?

Would $7 mill be enough going into 2013 if the cap is only raised to $125? Can we get the draft picks and the FA signed with that small amount?

If it goes up to 125M, then we would need to cut Haralson for sure, he isn't worth 2.87M he is due in 2013, plus we have a few FAs to re-sign or attempt to re-sign, mainly Andy Lee, Delanie Walker and Isaac Sopoaga.

I expect Dashon Goldson will be extended before july 15th when franchised players are no longer able to sign extensions. I would prefer we just keep his 2012 number at 6.212M, which is his franchise tag number.

Our potential free agents after 2012 are:

RB Rock Cartwright - Easy re-sign, 1-year vet minimum deal, which brings a vet credit.
WR Randy Moss - I imagine it depends on his 2012 season, likely won't be back IMO, likely a 1-year thing
WR Ted Ginn Jr. - Probably last season in SF, possibly grooming LaMichael James or Kendall Hunter to take over in 2013.
TE Delanie Walker - Likely re-signed, shouldn't be too hard to keep.
NT Isaac Sopoaga - Might be let go for someone younger with more potential. I wouldn't keep if over 3-4M a year.
NT Ricky Jean Francois - Possibly a easy signing, unless a team sees him as a starting DE or NT, if not, sign him for no more than 1M a yr.
ILB Larry Grant - Wouldn't bring back, will look for a starting gig elsewhere.
ILB Tavares Gooden - Keep at vet minimum deal, with credit like Cartwright.
CB Tramaine Brock - RFA, but wouldn't keep him at 1.3M or what brings a lowest tender.
FS Dashon Goldson - Needs to be locked up soon, if not, might be a sign that the team feels we can find a suitable replacement in the 2013 draft.
P Andy Lee - Probably #1 priority after 2012, all-pro punter, go as high as 2.5M a year.

Lets say we cut Haralson, save 2.87M, plus say 8M in cap room to begin, gives us 10.87M, and lets say we have a carryover of say $3.5M, giving us a total of 14.37M to start with.

I would re-sign Lee, Walker, Gooden, Cartwright and Goldson

Lee I would give him $2M in 2013
Walker I would give him $2M in 2013
Gooden would be $800K, but only would cost $555K
Cartwright would be $940K, but only would cost $555K
Goldson would be $3M if we extend now and keep his 2012 salary the same.

That's a total of $8.11M used, leaves us $6.26M under, which is enough to decide on RJF and Sopoaga, and draft class.
Ok, I just went ahead and did a mock roster for 2012 in an excel sheet, and this would be my mock roster for 2012.

QB- Alex Smith, Josh Johnson and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Brandon Jacobs and Rock Cartwright
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins and Ted Ginn Jr.
TE- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker and Nate Byham
C- Jonathan Goodwin and Jason Slowey
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney and Mike Person
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone

DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu and Demarcus Dobbs
NT- Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois and Ian Williams
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman, Colin Jones and Trenton Robinson

PK- David Akers
P- Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings

PS- RB Jewell Hampton, WR Chris Owusu, TE Konrad Reuland, C Chase Beeler, OT Derek Hall, DE Matt Masifilo, OLB Cam Johnson and CB Cory Nelms

Note- I have 54 players listed, It would come down to final cut between Mike Person, Jason Slowey, Ian Williams and Brandon Jacobs.

I cut Tolzien, who I think won't clear waivers, but if he did he would be on PS.

With that roster, we would be under by $3.349M to start 2012.

Now, I calculated 2013, we would have with those players who would be under contract for 2013, we have $114.463M committed, including $144K in dead money.

If the cap goes up between 121(which I've heard rumors it will go to 120.9M) or $125M, we would sit at between $6.537M and $11.537M under. We could carryover whatever is left from 2012, so even if it's 2M, we would sit at $12.537M under for 2013.

This all includes rookie class for this year. We would have up to 13 picks for the 2013 draft(between 11 currently and possibly 2 Comp Picks). So we could have between 6 and 8M rookie pool, but won't be that, as we won't keep all 13, probably close to 6 or 7 only, so like this year around 4M rookie pool.

This is a reason we need to wait to extend Bowman, as we can't do it now without knowing for sure when the cap will jump up. Hopefully it does, and we can extend him after 2012, but it's shouldn't happen till 2013 offseason.
Share 49ersWebzone