LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Where? NinersNation.com? If so that was mine.

I read that one too

It may have been! It was on the front page a few days ago? Link?
I don't think we are going to trade or release Brooks this offseason as long as he restructures his contract. I think the FO is going to try to lower his cap number and keep him for the first quarter of the season. If Aldon stays out of trouble and Lynch can be consistent, Brooks is traded during the season.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I read that one too

Might be this one, written by AB.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12/22/7434285/49ers-salary-cap-2015-new-cap-figures-open-the-door-for-what-to
Originally posted by Chico:
I can see them letting Frank walk since his time has come to an end
Crabtree gone
VD restructures or is gone
Brooks - He's a baller so I hate to see him go - he always shows up in the big games or at the right times but I see with Lynch's potential he's gone
Stevie Johnson & Brandon Lloyd are probably gone...
and Iupati is probably gone...

My only concern is that they don't go to the dark side

Agreed. If ownership has shown us anything it's that past performance and loyalty mean nothing. "Frank we've loved you, now see ya." Sad but real.

Crabtree: Good Riddance. If Dez Bryant wasn't so under-paid and also a FA he'd be a cow-pie next season. Hello Daniel Snyder ....

VD was missing all year. He needs to restructure or even give some of his paycheck back! (Are you reading this Alex Boone?)

With the development of Borland, Lynch and Wilhoite (who showed NO CLASS in his slow walk onto the field upon being announced at the Charger's game) the LB squad looks solid. I'd suggest keeping Brooks though, let's get Bowman and Willis back and unload Smith and his antics ...

Boldin will be back. Johnson, maybe (and only because 'Tree IS gone and Boldin (despite being a complete and total stud) IS getting up there. Lloyd is history.

Iupati is the one on this list they should make all efforts to keep. Martin was ineffective and Boone was horrible (see above), Let's get our starting center back and everybody in shape and into camp together for the new HC, OC and offense that are coming!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
What the hell is all this talk of letting Stevie go dude has been one of the best receivers on the field.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What the hell is all this talk of letting Stevie go dude has been one of the best receivers on the field.

You're right. And that's the sad part and another indictment on our offense ....

With a salary cap number (according the provided link) of nearly $4 million, (slated to go to more than $6 million next year) and with 35 catches this season (that's 2.33 catches per game) it works out to more than $112,000. PER CATCH!
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:

I read that one too

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12/22/7434285/49ers-salary-cap-2015-new-cap-figures-open-the-door-for-what-to

That's not it but it's WAY better of course...b/c it's AB's work!
Brooks is cut. Bethea is restructured and extended. Crabs, Gore, and Iupati walk (we should get draft compensation, right?). The team is prepared to make these moves without missing a step. All of the replacements are on the roster already.

Read an article where with the roll over and cap increase we are at about $2M under before any restructuring or internal signing. In short, we good!

Excellent piece ....
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:

I read that one too

That's not it but it's WAY better of course...b/c it's AB's work!

49ersONMIne that's mine, lol.

And thanks NCommand. Some guys also like to write about the cap from time to time, but I'm the main guy for NN now. I have admin settings, so I can publish when I want.

Plus I put everything over to NN, as far as cap tables exclusively. I will be getting sortable tables, and other cool stuff like cap pages for each player, and notes section this offseason.

Originally posted by Kezarbred:

Read an article where with the roll over and cap increase we are at about $2M under before any restructuring or internal signing. In short, we good!

Excellent piece ....

Thanks Kezar, appreciate that, I try my best.
Originally posted by Kezarbred:

You're right. And that's the sad part and another indictment on our offense ....

With a salary cap number (according the provided link) of nearly $4 million, (slated to go to more than $6 million next year) and with 35 catches this season (that's 2.33 catches per game) it works out to more than $112,000. PER CATCH!

Yeah, I don't get the talk of cutting Johnson. He is a good WR, I don't get why we didn't use him more, maybe they wanted to save the 3rd rd pick, and only give up a 4th, which seems petty to me, but it seemed like a lost season anyway. With Bow, Willis, Dorsey all injured, then losing Ian Williams, then Aldon suspended for 9 games, it seemed like we were lost all year. Letting teams like Chicago and STL come into Levis Stadium and beat us was ridiculous. But oh well, hopefully we figure this crap out in the offseason, and work on it asap.

And thanks NCommand. Some guys also like to write about the cap from time to time, but I'm the main guy for NN now. I have admin settings, so I can publish when I want.

Plus I put everything over to NN, as far as cap tables exclusively. I will be getting sortable tables, and other cool stuff like cap pages for each player, and notes section this offseason.

That's absolutely tremendous. We need you linked up here when you do post as well (no matter where you post). This is critical information.

Here are a few ways to create some room.
1. Ahmad Brooks is scheduled to have a $6 million base salary, plus $1.2 million in roster bonuses, and a $100,000 workout bonus. If the 49ers release Brooks they would save $4,102,500 against the salary cap with a pre-June 1 cut. - If Baalke really wants Gore back, then we are going to have to cut Brooks unless he restrcutures down...significantly.
2. Vernon Davis is scheduled to make a $4.35 million base salary, along with a $350,000 roster bonus, and a $200,000 workout bonus. If the 49ers release him, they would save $4.9 million in salary cap room. - how do you coach heart? Perhaps a new HC/OC will breed more "motivation" for VD this season but his issue was with the FO not caving into his financial demands. Look for the FO to reciprocate and CUT HIS ASS esp. if we go to a more pure WCO where guys like McDonald and Carrier would be more ideal!
3. Colin Kaepernick has a scheduled $10.4 million base salary, and the 49ers could lower it down to the minimum of $745,000, thus creating a $9.655 million signing bonus. A signing bonus prorates out over five years at $1.931 million a year. This would give the 49ers a maximum savings of $7.724 million, but obviously removes some of the flexibility they currently have if they decide to move on from him at some point in the future. - this is an interesting take and one I hadn't even considered.
4. Aldon Smith is scheduled to make $9.754 million under his fifth year option. It becomes guaranteed after the start of the 2015 league year. The 49ers could sign him to a long term contract extension, with a sizable signing bonus and low first year base salary. Given his off the field issues, the team could choose to wait on that until after a full offseason to see if he can stay out of trouble. - Needless to say, we're in a good position to take a risk on Aldon and get him below-market-value to a degree b/c of all his issues and the fact that we stuck by him. Obviously, the contract will be structured with a TON of "out" clauses just to be safe.
5. Patrick Willis is scheduled to have a $7.065 million base salary, and if they were to extend him a through the 2019 season, they could save as much as $4.956 million in salary cap room. - I could see Willis restructuring deal as we let him cash in his chips for the season and allowed him to get surgery and heal properly securing his future with us.
6. Craig Dahl is also a possible cap casualty, which would save the team $1.7 million in salary cap room if cut. - this dude will be cut on Monday! Time for L.J. McCray baby!
7. The last group are players who could retire: - My best guess is that Cowboy retires of this group and Boldin and Dawson stays.
If Anquan Boldin retired, the 49ers would save $3.273 million in salary cap room.
If Justin Smith retired, the 49ers would save $4.25 million in salary cap room.
If Phil Dawson retired, the 49ers would save $3.143 million in salary cap room.

That's absolutely tremendous. We need you linked up here when you do post as well (no matter where you post). This is critical information.

1. Ahmad Brooks is scheduled to have a $6 million base salary, plus $1.2 million in roster bonuses, and a $100,000 workout bonus. If the 49ers release Brooks they would save $4,102,500 against the salary cap with a pre-June 1 cut. - If Baalke really wants Gore back, then we are going to have to cut Brooks unless he restrcutures down...significantly.
2. Vernon Davis is scheduled to make a $4.35 million base salary, along with a $350,000 roster bonus, and a $200,000 workout bonus. If the 49ers release him, they would save $4.9 million in salary cap room. - how do you coach heart? Perhaps a new HC/OC will breed more "motivation" for VD this season but his issue was with the FO not caving into his financial demands. Look for the FO to reciprocate and CUT HIS ASS esp. if we go to a more pure WCO where guys like McDonald and Carrier would be more ideal!
3. Colin Kaepernick has a scheduled $10.4 million base salary, and the 49ers could lower it down to the minimum of $745,000, thus creating a $9.655 million signing bonus. A signing bonus prorates out over five years at $1.931 million a year. This would give the 49ers a maximum savings of $7.724 million, but obviously removes some of the flexibility they currently have if they decide to move on from him at some point in the future. - this is an interesting take and one I hadn't even considered.
4. Aldon Smith is scheduled to make $9.754 million under his fifth year option. It becomes guaranteed after the start of the 2015 league year. The 49ers could sign him to a long term contract extension, with a sizable signing bonus and low first year base salary. Given his off the field issues, the team could choose to wait on that until after a full offseason to see if he can stay out of trouble. - Needless to say, we're in a good position to take a risk on Aldon and get him below-market-value to a degree b/c of all his issues and the fact that we stuck by him. Obviously, the contract will be structured with a TON of "out" clauses just to be safe.
5. Patrick Willis is scheduled to have a $7.065 million base salary, and if they were to extend him a through the 2019 season, they could save as much as $4.956 million in salary cap room. - I could see Willis restructuring deal as we let him cash in his chips for the season and allowed him to get surgery and heal properly securing his future with us.
6. Craig Dahl is also a possible cap casualty, which would save the team $1.7 million in salary cap room if cut. - this dude will be cut on Monday! Time for L.J. McCray baby!
7. The last group are players who could retire: - My best guess is that Cowboy retires of this group and Boldin and Dawson stays.
If Anquan Boldin retired, the 49ers would save $3.273 million in salary cap room.

I'll be honest, I really don't like most of these cap savings measures. In many ways, you almost feel that the players that underperformed this seasons deserve a mulligan because of all of the crap that went on. Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis are the first two targets the way I see it. Even though I'm probably one of the few people who still believes Vernon Davis hasn't lost it, I'm not exactly gung ho about committing more seasons to the guy. With that said, extending him and adding two more seasons onto his deal should give us enough cap space to sign our rookies and offer Frank Gore and Perrish Cox new contracts, and possibly Michael Wilhoite and Tony Jerod-Eddie.

I would like to bring in a veteran 3-4 DE. Maybe the front office tries to extend Stevie Johnson? He'd be ideal seeing as how he is still in his prime years and has stated that he wants to be here.

I really like Aaron Lynch, but think we should at least wait one season before moving on from Ahmad Brooks or at least attempt a trade once we have one other OLB that can play well in mix.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I'll be honest, I really don't like most of these cap savings measures. In many ways, you almost feel that the players that underperformed this seasons deserve a mulligan because of all of the crap that went on. Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis are the first two targets the way I see it. Even though I'm probably one of the few people who still believes Vernon Davis hasn't lost it, I'm not exactly gung ho about committing more seasons to the guy. With that said, extending him and adding two more seasons onto his deal should give us enough cap space to sign our rookies and offer Frank Gore and Perrish Cox new contracts, and possibly Michael Wilhoite and Tony Jerod-Eddie.

I would like to bring in a veteran 3-4 DE. Maybe the front office tries to extend Stevie Johnson? He'd be ideal seeing as how he is still in his prime years and has stated that he wants to be here.

I really like Aaron Lynch, but think we should at least wait one season before moving on from Ahmad Brooks or at least attempt a trade once we have one other OLB that can play well in mix.

Craig Dahl is a goner, Phil Dawson is a possibility to retire, as is Smith (but I think he comes back).

Aldon will get an extension which will free up a lot of space.
Share 49ersWebzone