LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Right now we are roughly, by my numbers, $14,218,981 under the cap, with most of it likely being carried over, I doubt we extend anyone at this point, seeing as I doubt any player is willing to commit to this franchise in this state.

As for 2016, we have roughly, again by my numbers, $44,086,084 with a $153M cap, plus whatever we carryover.

As for Vernon, we saved just over $2.5M
So if they cut Kap, what is our cap number look like for next year? I feel like we have enough to resign everyone and make some splashes in free agency
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I can't see anything less than 54 million when we cut kaep. Which yes we should be able to make a nice splash. But I am not ab.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
Ray McDonald - 4,609,971
Anthony Davis - 3,366,670
Darnell Dockett - 2,500,000
Justin Smith - 2,186,668
Aldon Smith - 1,600,000
Carlos Rogers - 1,494,532
Craig Dahl - 933,334
Patrick Willis - 843,500
Chris Cook - 700,000
Andy Lee - 500,000
Chris Borland - 463,077
Total 20,197,504

How do we owe smith and Davis if they retire?
We don't owe them anything, the numbers you see, is what they count against our cap as DEAD MONEY. The easiest way to look at their retirement is that if we would have traded them, or cut them, they still would have counted against us the same with the DEAD MONEY, which is basically what was the remaining amount on their PRORATED signing bonus. Now, since they retired, we (the 49ers) COULD go after a REPAYMENT of that money from the player, back to the team, due to them not HONORING their side of the deal. It's probably doubtful that we do, but we could, and as far as Davis and Borland, I hope we do ask for it back, because it would give us a CREDIT to our cap next year, thus giving us more money to spend.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
We don't owe them anything, the numbers you see, is what they count against our cap as DEAD MONEY. The easiest way to look at their retirement is that if we would have traded them, or cut them, they still would have counted against us the same with the DEAD MONEY, which is basically what was the remaining amount on their PRORATED signing bonus. Now, since they retired, we (the 49ers) COULD go after a REPAYMENT of that money from the player, back to the team, due to them not HONORING their side of the deal. It's probably doubtful that we do, but we could, and as far as Davis and Borland, I hope we do ask for it back, because it would give us a CREDIT to our cap next year, thus giving us more money to spend.

Correct, it's basically from their signing bonuses, and we likely will get paid back from Borland, Davis though could be tricky, if he comes back, the NFLPA likely will fight the 49ers against taking the bonus back.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:

Correct, it's basically from their signing bonuses, and we likely will get paid back from Borland, Davis though could be tricky, if he comes back, the NFLPA likely will fight the 49ers against taking the bonus back.

Savvy business move. Heres 460k to not play football anymore.
Whatupp AB, I was wondering how much cap space we would have if the cap were to be as high as 153.4 mil.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Whatupp AB, I was wondering how much cap space we would have if the cap were to be as high as 153.4 mil.

$42,923,584 is what I have them under the 2016 cap which I have at $153 million
biggest thing going for this team is so much cap space…is that the highest in the league?
[ Edited by Mertonschickendance on Dec 20, 2015 at 11:19 AM ]

It's got to be close, and when we trade Kaepernick, and cut guys like Pears, we'll have even more money available. Here's to hoping we can get a couple young FA's to come here on some FRONT LOADED deals. We're not going to rebuild over night, so might as well front load some contracts, so we can continue to gain cap space as the players contract goes on, instead of losing cap space like most contracts do.

What I'm referring to, is basically what the Raiders have done with contracts, not their team. They pretty much don't give out signing bonuses, they just front load contracts, and guarantee like the 1st year or two. They rolled a lot of money over the past few years, and they made some good FA signings last off season, and they will still have quite a bit of money for next year, to continue to ADD to their young and improving team.
We will save money on brooks for sure and possibly bathea.
So if the niners are without
Kap
Brooks
Pears
Bathea
We will have a s**t ton of money to extend Ian Williams Dawson Boone (but he's gone most likely) and with the heat Jed and Baalke got this year I believe this is the year they have to pursue free agency aggressively for once even if they think it's a bad idea.
I agree, that Kap+Brooks+Pears+Bethea will be gone after the season. I. WIlliams will probably be brought back, but Dawson and Boone are probably gone. We might as well draft the best college kicker this year, and see what he can do. Boone will probably command to much money, so I think they're seeing/hoping Tiller shows he can hang at LG. This draft, we need to get an elite MLB, another pass rushing OLB, a swing tackle/guard, a mid round project QB, and perhaps a DE.
York regarding Cap space: "Just because you have room, doesn't mean you have to spend that room. you can't just spend money to spend money, you got to make to make good decisions"
Originally posted by DJamhour:
York regarding Cap space: "Just because you have room, doesn't mean you have to spend that room. you can't just spend money to spend money, you got to make to make good decisions"

Well he said we'll be aggressive, and if he means it, they will spend money, I know because you have cap room doesn't mean you have to spend it, but they need to upgrade the team, or fans will be pissed. A new HC like Payton won't make this team a contender, I don't see them being a wild card team, let along NFC West champions for 2016 until they upgrade, I always am/was against FA signings, but they have to get some big names.
Share 49ersWebzone