There are 168 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Hey AB81, general NFL contract question: If a player signs an extension, is his current contract ripped up and the new contract begins immediately? Or does he have to play out his current deal before the new one kicks in?

Example, if Kap signs a new deal next week, does he play 14-15 on his current rookie deal, or does he get paid the amount in his new contract?
Originally posted by thl408:
Hey AB81, general NFL contract question: If a player signs an extension, is his current contract ripped up and the new contract begins immediately? Or does he have to play out his current deal before the new one kicks in?

Example, if Kap signs a new deal next week, does he play 14-15 on his current rookie deal, or does he get paid the amount in his new contract?

Any extension kicks in in the next year. But he gets paid whatever bonus money paid out in the first year, so if he gets a $7.5 million bonus will kickin this year, just prorated.
  • thl408
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Any extension kicks in in the next year. But he gets paid whatever bonus money paid out in the first year, so if he gets a $7.5 million bonus will kickin this year, just prorated.

Thanks for reply. Just to be clear, if a player signs an extension while having one year remaining on his current deal, the bonus of his new deal will kick in, but not the base salary.

So just to expand on the Kap example. If Kap signs an extension that kicks in in 15-16 with a $7.5 bonus, that bonus (pro rated) will be counted against the 14-15 cap, but the base salary of his new deal will not.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Thanks for reply. Just to be clear, if a player signs an extension while having one year remaining on his current deal, the bonus of his new deal will kick in, but not the base salary.

So just to expand on the Kap example. If Kap signs an extension that kicks in in 15-16 with a $7.5 bonus, that bonus (pro rated) will be counted against the 14-15 cap, but the base salary of his new deal will not.

The bonuses kick in, basically whatever is paid up front. The future base salaries kick in in the future. And yes the bonus is prorated.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Salary cap expected to hit $130 million http://wp.me/p14QSB-9pQ3
Originally posted by Jcool:
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Salary cap expected to hit $130 million http://wp.me/p14QSB-9pQ3

The projected 2014 cap on www.ninercaphell.com was $128M, so this gives us an extra $2M to play with. And everybody else as well, but we're currently then $9.2M under the '14 cap before any cuts/restructures.
According to MM $11 Mill in cap space

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-have-11-million-cap-space
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Jon Baldwin just took a pay cut too, so we're close to 11 Million!

Release Rogers
Goodwin retires
Restructure Gore
Extend Miller

After that we could be close to 20 Million!!

I'm pretty sure we can re-sign Boldin, Dawson, Whitner AND rookies with 20 Mill, plus have money left over to throw at Crabtree..
[ Edited by SaksV on Feb 20, 2014 at 7:58 AM ]
Originally posted by SaksV:
Jon Baldwin just took a pay cut too, so we're close to 11 Million!

Release Rogers
Goodwin retires
Restructure Gore
Extend Miller

After that we could be close to 20 Million!!

I'm pretty sure we can re-sign Boldin, Dawson, Whitner AND rookies with 20 Mill, plus have money left over to throw at Crabtree..

• sfout
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/20/salary-cap-expected-to-hit-130-million/

This year's salary cap is expected to rise to about $130 million per team, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. That's a 5 percent increase from last year's cap of $123 million, and it's good news for teams that are tight on cap space.

Jesus. MM's article factors this in but I was shocked to see this #. We can realistically re-sign Boldin and Whitner with this and if/when they still cut Rogers we may even be able to re-sign Brown, that is if they want to do so.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:38 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/20/salary-cap-expected-to-hit-130-million/

This year's salary cap is expected to rise to about $130 million per team, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. That's a 5 percent increase from last year's cap of $123 million, and it's good news for teams that are tight on cap space.

Jesus. MM's article factors this in but I was shocked to see this #. We can realistically re-sign Boldin and Whitner with this and if/when they still cut Rogers we may even be able to re-sign Brown, that is if they want to do so.

Wait, so we're 11M under right NOW?...and the new cap of 130M should give us an extra 7M. And we're expecting to cut Rogers which is 6.6M. And Goodwin is expected to be cut and his base is 2.5M? So we're looking at roughly 27M in cap space?
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by sfout:

Wait, so we're 11M under right NOW?...and the new cap of 130M should give us an extra 7M. And we're expecting to cut Rogers which is 6.6M. And Goodwin is expected to be cut and his base is 2.5M? So we're looking at roughly 27M in cap space?

I believe we'll be at 11m under if the cap is 130m....And remember, even if the cut the guys you mention, we won't get all of their salary in cap space because we'll take a hit.
Correct: $11M under a $130M cap. But I still think that should be enough to re-sign Whitner, Boldin, and Dawson.
Not sure how Maiocco gets $11M, maybe AJ Jenkins' dead money doesn't count after all.

Anyway, I have us at least $10.097M under the cap. Plus add in $5.105M, we should have $15.1M in cap room when Rogers is cut, or maybe a pay cut happens.

This would be enough to Tender Wilhoite, retain Dawson, Whitner, Boldin, Cox, Dobbs, Wright, and sign draft picks.
Share 49ersWebzone