LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

AB83Rules...question...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Montana_Rice
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Reckless:
Whats Patrick Willis contract? length and price?

6yrs/$18.5M or so.

Can void to 5yrs.

he makes around 4M this yr and around 2.3M next yr.

Overall its a cap friendly deal, and we have plenty of cap space in future years, especially now that we saved 4.5M next season by cutting Darrell Jackson now.

I think this is an awful way to set up contracts. A player that has voided his contract can not be kept via the franchise tag. It's just never a good idea to give a player this option. Pay them more or give them other incentives, but don't let them hit free agency as a reward for good play.
Originally posted by Montana_Rice:

6yrs/$18.5M or so.

Can void to 5yrs.

Overall its a cap friendly deal, and we have plenty of cap space in future years, especially now that we saved 4.5M next season by cutting Darrell Jackson now.

I think this is an awful way to set up contracts. A player that has voided his contract can not be kept via the franchise tag. It's just never a good idea to give a player this option. Pay them more or give them other incentives, but don't let them hit free agency as a reward for good play.

i have to agree, i hate Voidable Deals, either give him a straight up 6 yr deal, or just 5 yrs, not 6 that voids to 5. Makes no sense. Plus it creates Dead Money.

6yrs/$18.5M or so.

Can void to 5yrs.

i have to agree, i hate Voidable Deals, either give him a straight up 6 yr deal, or just 5 yrs, not 6 that voids to 5. Makes no sense. Plus it creates Dead Money.

Well there has to be some incentive to it right? Or does the agent say my client gets into camp on time if that last year is voidable? Then we cave and give him the deal. Or does it save us cap room like a give and take sort of deal? The team must get something out of it. I would hope because that's always bothered me too.
Originally posted by geturembedder:

6yrs/$18.5M or so.

Can void to 5yrs.

Well there has to be some incentive to it right? Or does the agent say my client gets into camp on time if that last year is voidable? Then we cave and give him the deal. Or does it save us cap room like a give and take sort of deal? The team must get something out of it. I would hope because that's always bothered me too.

well by giving him a longer deal, even if it voids, it spreads the bonus money out over 6 yrs instead of 5 so thats a bonus. But like i said, it creates un-neccessary Dead Money in 2012.

6yrs/$18.5M or so.

Can void to 5yrs.

well by giving him a longer deal, even if it voids, it spreads the bonus money out over 6 yrs instead of 5 so thats a bonus. But like i said, it creates un-neccessary Dead Money in 2012.

I guess we could always redo his deal in his fourth year anyway. He'll probably hold out anyway if he keeps his pace up.
  • Montana_Rice
  • Info N/A

6yrs/$18.5M or so.

Can void to 5yrs.

I guess we could always redo his deal in his fourth year anyway. He'll probably hold out anyway if he keeps his pace up.

I imagine the player would take less for a voidable contract. Being able to hit free agency earlier and not having to worry about the franchise tag are big incentives. A team may feel that it's better to give him that incentive then to spend more on the signing bonus. But like I said, the problem is if the player is as good as expected then he's leaving.
Well hopefully we get him resigned to a long term extension before he reaches his voidable year anyways. I have confidence in our management to get it done. You don't let a franchise player like this walk. It just doesn't happen. He likes it here, he's the face of the franchise he'll get an extension.
AB how much $$ do we have left to spend on the rooks?
Originally posted by rigs49:
AB how much $$ do we have left to spend on the rooks?

well, we have about 18M in cap room, so we will likely be given a rokie pool of about 5M, meaning we cant spend more than 5M of the 18M on rooks.

6yrs/$18.5M or so.

Can void to 5yrs.

wow

SIX YEARS?

ROLLIN.......draft wise.

Hey AB, just wanted to say thanks for all the information and breaking down the numbers for us zoners. I do have a question though, do you know what Manny Lawsons and Arnaz Battles contracts are?

Thanks AB
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

6yrs/$18.5M or so.

Can void to 5yrs.

wow

SIX YEARS?

ROLLIN.......draft wise.

If he keeps playing at the same level for the next 2 seasons,Patrick Willis will have a major payday,and he will be worth every cent
how do you feel about the QB fiasco?
if Alex doesn't start, do we save $$$?
if we cut Lelie, do we save $$$?
  • FriscoGold
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninerdaddy:
how do you feel about the QB fiasco?
if Alex doesn't start, do we save $$$?
if we cut Lelie, do we save $$$?

for Alex....I highly doubt we would save anything.
Hey, AB, how you doin'? In another thread we left a question for you re: alex and what happens if he's cut, traded, or whatever. There was a lot of speculation, then somebody somehow got part of an 80 page contract, and said that cutting alex would not save us $... I never saw your response. Could you give us the AB "final word" please. Thanks
Share 49ersWebzone