LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 450 users in the forums

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is... Alex or Shaun or JT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alexander Douglas Smith
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Originally posted by scorpio_49ers:
Flacco, Colt, or any other rookie QB we SHOULD draft.

My $$ is on Hill, because he doesn't have the tools that Smith does, but finds a way to get the balls in tight spaces and moves the chains, something Alex will not do again this year. He looks impressive when he is doing drills, not in games.

I bet it will be close in preseason. Smith wins it by a hair. Our record by week 5 will be 1-4. Hill will come in on week 5 and lead us to a better record....pretty sure that is whats goign to happen. Also, players will not be happy if Smiths wins it (most likely cause of contract) they want to see the best passer on the field..which they all believe is Hill. You will see some uninspired play with Smith, esp when he starts sucking and throwing errand passes, sacks, fumbles...deer in headlights...lol.....

I also kind of feel that Hill may not start immediately, but eventually. I also agree with the portion of your statement that is now in bold. You could feel it last year. The offense played better with Hill in the lineup because they had more faith in him. Finally, someone else see's the light. Thank you!

Did they have more faith in Hill, or the game plan that Tollner helped tweak? Does your, and those who also share this perspective, dislike for Smith cloud your perception? Have you heard even one report of teammates not having trust in Smith? I certainly have never seen any, but I did read negative comments about Hostler.

Ill put my vote down for Smith. Hill didn't have a single snap in 6 years for a reason.

First of all, trust me when I say that they had more faith in Hill, and not the gameplan. It's called body language, and if you were too blind to read it, then that's your problem, and not mine.

Second, let me clear something up real quick here. I DON'T HATE, OR DISLIKE ALEX SMITH. So to answer your question, my perception has not been clouded by hate. I don't want him to fail, and I wish none of us were on this board having this discussion right now. I wish he would have came into the league, and tore it up, but he hasn't even come remotely close. I hope Alex proves me wrong, and becomes the quarterback that we have been paying him to be for the past 3 years. I just don't think that is going to happen this year. We were warned by Urban Meyer that Alex would not succeed until he knew the offense back and forth, and here we are approaching a year where he has to learn another system. He is going to feel out of sync, once again until he masters the offense. Hill on the other hand is a GAMER, who can think on the run, improvise, and elevate the players around him because they feel a sense of comfort when he's behind center.

With that being said, I think that Hill is the better quarterback at this point in time, and for the upcoming season until Alex can wrap his mind around the new system. If he has all of these tools that I keep hearing about, and can get his mind right, then he may very well become a legitamate QB one day, but I'm tired of waiting.

HAHAHAHAHA so you are some master of interpreting EXACTLY what someone, who your not even physically in the same presence of, means with their body language? Pretty weak argument coming from a guy who thinks he knows it all.

I am not saying either way. I wasn't there in the locker room, field, during practice or in meetings, so it would be impossible, the same way it is impossible for you, to accurately gauge a persons meaning behind their body language. Especially since body language is a PART of communication and rarely can be used all by itself to interpret someones meaning or feeling. There are VERY few mechanics in body language that an anonymous onlooker could gauge someones exact message if they didn't also hear the verbal communication.

For example someone could see me all animated and angry looking, talking to my girlfriend from afar and assume I am yelling at her, when in reality I may be venting about my jackass coworker or something.

• AgentShorty
  • Info N/A
Alex Smith
.......................................s**t i dont know...................................
Shaun Hill, this is toooo easy!
Alex
  • rulo
  • Info N/A
Hill
Alex Smith

Alex Hill

In other words, not sure yet.
Originally posted by cools:
Is it ok to like em Both ?, since Im a niner fan and season ticket holder since
the early 70's
and always want our guys to do well

Or do I have to play your pathetic game of "choose your guy and hate the other"
that seems so popular with you "Niner Whiners" that live on these forums

Whats even more pathetic is that you will probably root against the guy
you didnt choose, just so you all can come here "Call them out" and throw around "I told ya so's"

weak sauce

You sound pretty "hip" for someone in their 50's. That is unless you had season tickets when you were 2 years old.

My father wouldn't know about "weak sauce".
I think it's still Alex's job to lose. I believe he will start but will have to show significant improvement for the first few games.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by scorpio_49ers:
Flacco, Colt, or any other rookie QB we SHOULD draft.

My $$ is on Hill, because he doesn't have the tools that Smith does, but finds a way to get the balls in tight spaces and moves the chains, something Alex will not do again this year. He looks impressive when he is doing drills, not in games.

I bet it will be close in preseason. Smith wins it by a hair. Our record by week 5 will be 1-4. Hill will come in on week 5 and lead us to a better record....pretty sure that is whats goign to happen. Also, players will not be happy if Smiths wins it (most likely cause of contract) they want to see the best passer on the field..which they all believe is Hill. You will see some uninspired play with Smith, esp when he starts sucking and throwing errand passes, sacks, fumbles...deer in headlights...lol.....

I also kind of feel that Hill may not start immediately, but eventually. I also agree with the portion of your statement that is now in bold. You could feel it last year. The offense played better with Hill in the lineup because they had more faith in him. Finally, someone else see's the light. Thank you!

Did they have more faith in Hill, or the game plan that Tollner helped tweak? Does your, and those who also share this perspective, dislike for Smith cloud your perception? Have you heard even one report of teammates not having trust in Smith? I certainly have never seen any, but I did read negative comments about Hostler.

Ill put my vote down for Smith. Hill didn't have a single snap in 6 years for a reason.

First of all, trust me when I say that they had more faith in Hill, and not the gameplan. It's called body language, and if you were too blind to read it, then that's your problem, and not mine.

Second, let me clear something up real quick here. I DON'T HATE, OR DISLIKE ALEX SMITH. So to answer your question, my perception has not been clouded by hate. I don't want him to fail, and I wish none of us were on this board having this discussion right now. I wish he would have came into the league, and tore it up, but he hasn't even come remotely close. I hope Alex proves me wrong, and becomes the quarterback that we have been paying him to be for the past 3 years. I just don't think that is going to happen this year. We were warned by Urban Meyer that Alex would not succeed until he knew the offense back and forth, and here we are approaching a year where he has to learn another system. He is going to feel out of sync, once again until he masters the offense. Hill on the other hand is a GAMER, who can think on the run, improvise, and elevate the players around him because they feel a sense of comfort when he's behind center.

With that being said, I think that Hill is the better quarterback at this point in time, and for the upcoming season until Alex can wrap his mind around the new system. If he has all of these tools that I keep hearing about, and can get his mind right, then he may very well become a legitamate QB one day, but I'm tired of waiting.

HAHAHAHAHA so you are some master of interpreting EXACTLY what someone, who your not even physically in the same presence of, means with their body language? Pretty weak argument coming from a guy who thinks he knows it all.

I am not saying either way. I wasn't there in the locker room, field, during practice or in meetings, so it would be impossible, the same way it is impossible for you, to accurately gauge a persons meaning behind their body language. Especially since body language is a PART of communication and rarely can be used all by itself to interpret someones meaning or feeling. There are VERY few mechanics in body language that an anonymous onlooker could gauge someones exact message if they didn't also hear the verbal communication.

For example someone could see me all animated and angry looking, talking to my girlfriend from afar and assume I am yelling at her, when in reality I may be venting about my jackass coworker or something.

Owned? Hardly.

There was a story that came out during the Nolan vs. Smith weeks that stated how Alex was known as the "lion" in the locker room. The players took the side of Nolan on the Alex Smith issue. They knew he was one of the main reasons that the team was playing like sh!t on the offensive side of the ball. I can't recall exactly what they said, but both VD and Darrell Jackson also made some comments later in the year that were seen as a slight towards Alex Smith.

What are you expecting, for someone to come out in the media and just call out Alex Smith?

The team questioned Hostler too, no doubt. But they also knew that Smith wasn't going to make their jobs any easier with his erratic (to put it nicely) play.

There was definitely some new life when Hill took over at QB. I find it more than hilarious that you're saying this had to do with Tollner. You don't have to be a football mind to figure that out. Did you watch the game vs. Cincy? I was there in person. The stadium had life that night. I also watched it on my DVR and guess what the announcers (Faulk, Deion) were saying? That Shaun Hill looks better than Alex Smith and Hill should have been starting.

How can you talk about people's "hate" for Alex Smith clouding their judgment? Most Smith homers (not saying you) are so clouded by the #1 pick and their emotional investment in Alex that they can't see any wrong in his play or actions. Remember this is the same guy who said that he was fine after the injury. There are numerous articles that will attest to this. All of them are from the week before his first game after the injury and can easily be found in the News section of the Webzone. Only after his disgusting performances from later in the year did he and his agent go into "Bust control mode."

[ Edited by LeathafaceUCSD on Mar 7, 2008 at 1:15 PM ]
  • Nix49
  • Info N/A
hill starts
Share 49ersWebzone