If you had to choose ONE....which has been worst to start the season

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If you had to choose ONE....which has been worst to start the season

Whoa...im trippin
The first option.
Originally posted by Watchutalkinbout:
The first option.

I was thinking none of the above...
Legbreaker: "The funny part of all this is that it used to be the Tittle/Brodie apologists that ripped Montana for his first two years in the league, and then ripped Young in his first year as a starter."

No kidding. They ripped Joe for his arm strength and claimed Steve simply couldn't stand in the pocket and calmly deliver the ball.

This is kind of a funny thread. I wonder how many people would be saying "running game" looking at the '81 team?
I smell.... FAIL!!!
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
You, sir, have evidently never watched films of the Niners in the Mid-70's.

You think this is bad? Wow. You have no clue how bad it can be. This is not even the beginning of a pimple on the @ss of how bad it can be.

The Niners used to be one of the worst sports franchises EVER. We blew in every aspect of the game. It was AWFUL.

We have hope now. Yet, Montana/Young apologists that have nothing better to do than while away the hours bemaoaning our lack of a hall of fame quarterback under center can only see the negative.

The funny part of all this is that it used to be the Tittle/Brodie apologists that ripped Montana for his first two years in the league, and then ripped Young in his first year as a starter.

Do us all a favor, and before starting a WORST ever thread...do a little homework. There is nothing about this team that is close to "worst ever".

Just ask Steve DeBerg. Or Jim Plunkett. Or OJ Simpson. Or Gene Washington. Or Ricky Patton.

I remember those years, and I don't see a lot of difference. I'd say that the 2007 team was as boring as any 9er team, ever.

The last years of Nolan I were disappointing, because he was destroyed by that loss to Dallas. 1976,under Clark, was a good year, and it looked like he was putting a championship level team together. Unfortunately, he was a victim of the change of regime. 1977 and 78 were bad, but at least the owner had the decency to fire the HCs.

Of the players you listed, Plunkett was shell-shocked and Simpson was done. Deberg had a pretty good career, Washington was a 9er great, and Ricky Ricardo Patton was the starting RB on the 1st superbowl team.

As far as people ripping Montana. WTF are you talking about? From the day he showed up at training camp, everyone was screaming for Montana to start. The people who didn't want Young (me included) were Montana loyalists, not Brodie Tittle apologists (whatever that means.)
leo, I agree with almost everything you posted, but I have to say that there really were people who thought Montana wasn't the answer because of his arm strength. I believe columnists Lowell Cohen and Glen Dickey expressed those doubts in printed articles. The most recent halfway successful QB at that time had been Brodie, who had a cannon for an arm, so that was the origin of the comparison and the concern.

By the way, I didn't agree with Dickey or Cohen at all. After that New Orleans game in '80, I was a Montana believer.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for leolion.
True, but I was talking about fans, not professional A$$os. After he had won two superbowls one of those guys ripped Montana because his wife was pregnant during the season! GMAFB.

By the time Montana came along, he was competing with the memory of Tom Owen, Steve Spurrier, and Jim Plunkett and the presence of DeBerg, more than Brodie. Brodie, as I'm sure you remember had a very mixed relationship with the fans. Brodie was introduced to the president of his fan club once and said, "I expected you to look different...More beat up." Closer to home. I was outraged when the 9ers traded Tittle to the Giants. My dad, who was a Brodie fan, tried to convince me it was for the good of the team. It took him about 10 years to win that argument.

Back in 79, most of us were looking for a savior. Amazingly, we got one.
^^^^^Wow! Back to back milestones!
[ Edited by Watchutalkinbout on Jul 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM ]
O-Line

Originally posted by NY49ersGuy:
I smell.... FAIL!!!

[ Edited by Watchutalkinbout on Jul 8, 2008 at 10:22 AM ]
leo: "Brodie, as I'm sure you remember had a very mixed relationship with the fans."

Yeah, I remember, Leo. People used to throw things at him - I remember that they had to put chainlink-fencing around the area that they entered and left the stadium (Kezar). It used to drive me crazy because the guy was just nails. He'd be bloody walking off the field and some fans just wouldn't give him a break.

Of course, Tittle was also a very tough guy.
Definitely not today. I know I know it looked like the same s**t we've seen the last few years under Nolan, but for the simple fact that I still believe JTO and Martz are gonna put this thing togeather right, I'm still holding out hope for a 7-9 season.
I don't know...gimme an option and I'll choose.

Share 49ersWebzone