LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by seeking6th:
he was decent in the first half, then completely fell apart in the 2nd half.

yes, his supporting cast didn't play well, but a good/great qb will carry his team and get over that hurdle... seattle gave us numerous chances to beat them, they just capitalized on our mistakes, but we did not (except for the n. clements' pick 3-not pick 6).

hasselbeck did not choke!

It's the usual story with him. He was decent only to fall apart during critical plays which cancelled out any success prior.

I now actually believe he will be a top level QB in terms of his reads but will be a average QB because of his accuracy.

We should just call him, Mr. High Ball

or no balls...

really though, i am hoping he proves us all wrong, i do not like to see any 49er fail (he's classy guy, but not getting the job done).

yes, his supporting cast didn't play well, but a good/great qb will carry his team and get over that hurdle... seattle gave us numerous chances to beat them, they just capitalized on our mistakes, but we did not (except for the n. clements' pick 3-not pick 6).

It's the usual story with him. He was decent only to fall apart during critical plays which cancelled out any success prior.

I now actually believe he will be a top level QB in terms of his reads but will be a average QB because of his accuracy.

or no balls...

really though, i am hoping he proves us all wrong, i do not like to see any 49er fail (he's classy guy, but not getting the job done).

He's been throwing high balls for 6 years now. Do you REALLY think it's going to stop?
i was hard on him after this game as well but after the news came out about raye calling half assed plays that arent even the same as the players know and having johnson try to read them to smith in a language he understands and having no time to do so basically left smith guess at what plays he was trying to call. same thing happened to phillip rivers on monday and hes a probowl QB. he looked lost and frustrated because he wasnt getting the plays and people where lining up wrong. our team has been having this problem for two years now and sing just realized it. smith made some bad throws but he also had a great first few drives so maybe rayes playcalling was so boring it put him to sleep and he couldnt spit the plays out as the game went on. i have no idea but you have to look at this problem from all aspects, i know everyone on here was excited about what they saw when smith was driving down seattles throat in the first half. sing better fix whats goin on with his awesome OC or were gonna get more of the same regardless of whos behind center.
Alex Smith had reached his full and ultimate potential - it is time to let him go and try other options.
Alex Smith is a #2 backup at best. Day after the season ends, it's time to move on.
Originally posted by MBniner:
The point is, Alex has not be able to do it on his own. Truly great QB's seem to make other, somewhat mediocre players (see D. Jackson) better, almost through will. They make plays. Alex doesn't seem to be able to do that at this point. Now before you go pointing to the Arizona game, think about our 3rd down percentage. I think we're last in the league. That is a crucial stat. He needs to be able to sustain drives better; if his receivers are making the wrong breaks, running wrong routes, whatever, take it on yourself. There were a few instances where he could have taken off and run for the first, and didn't. 3rd downs are critical, IMHO, and we can't convert for some reason. Also, think about our red zone offense; not all of that can be put on poor blocking and offensive play calling...

I mean, we were talking about these same issue back in 2007!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GIVE UP ON THIS GUY?!!!!
Smith will be on KNBR with Ralph & Tom at 4PM Pacific

http://player.cumulusstreaming.com/SLPLayer.aspx?KNBR-AM
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Alex Smith had reached his full and ultimate potential - it is time to let him go and try other options.

Agreed. IMO, the only thing that was holding back Smith was the fact that he's never had continuity.

That circumstance goes out the window this year and now we're going to find out what we really have.

-9fA
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

Exactly. Hasselbeck threw a pick on his FIRST PASS of the game. First play of the entire game. They didn't even get a first down till the 2nd quarter when he figured out our defense and made some nice throws.
i wished alex knew how to make those type of adjustments...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

I hope he takes questions from the callers. Just imagine how fun that would be.

Originally posted by susweel:

I doubt that will happen . . . but I'm guessing Ralph will press him on some tough questions.

or no balls...

He's been throwing high balls for 6 years now. Do you REALLY think it's going to stop?
i'm crossing my fingers (please footballgods help him).

maybe he should start throwing them low. at least then the wideouts won't be up in air to get killed and passes won't get picked off.
Avid Smith supporters are in more denial than ever. There is no potential there. None, zilch, zero, nada!!!!!! Some are finally accepting it. But that ones that don't keep hanging on because "the entire team didn't play well" theory.

It starts and ends with the QB. If you have a good to great/elite QB everything takes care of itself. Why do you think we lost to Seattle? Better QB. Look at this way

Better WR's-Sea or SF?
Better O-line-Sea of SF?
Better RB-Sea or SF?
Better TE's-Sea of SF?
Better Defense-Sea or SF?

Better QB? Well you saw the answer to that on Sunday. The rest of those things didn't matter.

ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts and ends with coaching and knowing how to use the players you have. We do not use our players correctly and can't get a damn play called early enough to let the QB (no matter who it is) read and adjust to the defense. If you had a faster car that was a stick and you couldn't drive a stick up against a slightly slower car that had a decent driver that knew what he was doing, you would lose.

[ Edited by baybreaker707 on Sep 15, 2010 at 15:33:33 ]
Originally posted by susweel:

Coming up next
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Avid Smith supporters are in more denial than ever. There is no potential there. None, zilch, zero, nada!!!!!! Some are finally accepting it. But that ones that don't keep hanging on because "the entire team didn't play well" theory.

It starts and ends with the QB. If you have a good to great/elite QB everything takes care of itself. Why do you think we lost to Seattle? Better QB. Look at this way

Better WR's-Sea or SF?
Better O-line-Sea of SF?
Better RB-Sea or SF?
Better TE's-Sea of SF?
Better Defense-Sea or SF?

Better QB? Well you saw the answer to that on Sunday. The rest of those things didn't matter.

ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts and ends with coaching and knowing how to use the players you have. We do not use our players correctly and can't get a damn play called early enough to let the QB (no matter who it is) read and adjust to the defense. If you had a faster car that was a stick and you couldn't drive a stick up against a slightly slower car that had a decent driver that knew what he was doing, you would lose.

you're making a lot of sense and i get that basic 101, but your analogy has to do with machines... patrick willis and vernon davis were the only machines out there.
you're right and won't argue one bit about it - we were out coached by a college rah rah type, looking like an ugly, old woman; that is pete carrol!

although, coaches can only coach to a certain extent and players have to take command at some point in a game. have we ever seen alex do that against an elite team? how many times has he done that against bad teams? not much.

good/great qb's make coaches look good. if our coaching sucks that bad, isn't it time for alex to make us look good or at least decent or at least try?
Share 49ersWebzone