LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One thing to feel good about, Shaun Hill did worse than Alex today...
Originally posted by ZRF80:
There's nothing new here to see folks. I still see people making Alexcuses, trying to pin the game on offensive playcalling, dropped passes, and the defense not showing up. Well, all those things may have played a part in our team's monumental collapse, but the catalyst behind all this was Smith's play. If Smith throws a good pass to Morgan on the opening drive combined with the easy pitch to Norris........we go up 14-0 and the whole ballgame changes. He allowed Seattle to hang in there, and when push came to shove.........he completely botched. The guy choked completely in the second half.....Seattle smelled blood and took advantage of our misfortunes.

In retrosepct, however, this is nothing new for Alex Smith. Same old 49ers. Down at halftime, trying to crawl back in the second half....except Smith couldnt pull it off this time. Seattle came with the pressure, and Smith needed to translate those small 5 yard outs into 10-15 yard tosses. He couldnt do it. He overthrew his receivers, threw costly picks, and couldnt make the proper reads.

90% of this is pinned on Smith. If this trend continues, we're better off giving Carr the nod. He's not the answer, but I doubt he could play any worse than Smith did today.

How can you come close to blaming him the 1st INT though? That was right off Crabtree's hands. If he can't catch that he can't catch anything. That was 100% on Crabtree.
I noticed the usual Stans have gone to bed to early tonight. Ran out of excuses- I guess.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
There's nothing new here to see folks. I still see people making Alexcuses, trying to pin the game on offensive playcalling, dropped passes, and the defense not showing up. Well, all those things may have played a part in our team's monumental collapse, but the catalyst behind all this was Smith's play. If Smith throws a good pass to Morgan on the opening drive combined with the easy pitch to Norris........we go up 14-0 and the whole ballgame changes. He allowed Seattle to hang in there, and when push came to shove.........he completely botched. The guy choked completely in the second half.....Seattle smelled blood and took advantage of our misfortunes.

In retrosepct, however, this is nothing new for Alex Smith. Same old 49ers. Down at halftime, trying to crawl back in the second half....except Smith couldnt pull it off this time. Seattle came with the pressure, and Smith needed to translate those small 5 yard outs into 10-15 yard tosses. He couldnt do it. He overthrew his receivers, threw costly picks, and couldnt make the proper reads.

90% of this is pinned on Smith. If this trend continues, we're better off giving Carr the nod. He's not the answer, but I doubt he could play any worse than Smith did today.

How can you come close to blaming him the 1st INT though? That was right off Crabtree's hands. If he can't catch that he can't catch anything. That was 100% on Crabtree.

1) the pass should never have been made in the first place. Alex Smith had a clear path to the first down. For a 6th year veteran, his first instinct should have been to tuck and run, not force it to a receiver with 2 defenders around him.

2) too much velocity on the ball. Dont take my word for it....the commentators made note of it as well. As a receiver, you react to your QB's actions. Alex made it seem like he was going to run, changed his mind, and threw a bullet to Crabtree's outside shoulder when Crabs was pivoting to the inside. Im not saying that the pass wasnt catchable, however......everyone saw there was too much on it for a 5 yard pass. You want to give Crabs some of the blame, then fine. But Alex doesnt need to put that kind of speed on a ball to a player just 3-4 yards away.

3) coverage. Why between 2 defenders ? Why not tuck and run ? Inexcusable.

Smith botched. I'll give Crabtree some of the blame, but Smith has to own up as well.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

1) the pass should never have been made in the first place. Alex Smith had a clear path to the first down. For a 6th year veteran, his first instinct should have been to tuck and run, not force it to a receiver with 2 defenders around him.

2) too much velocity on the ball. Dont take my word for it....the commentators made note of it as well. As a receiver, you react to your QB's actions. Alex made it seem like he was going to run, changed his mind, and threw a bullet to Crabtree's outside shoulder when Crabs was pivoting to the inside. Im not saying that the pass wasnt catchable, however......everyone saw there was too much on it for a 5 yard pass. You want to give Crabs some of the blame, then fine. But Alex doesnt need to put that kind of speed on a ball to a player just 3-4 yards away.

3) coverage. Why between 2 defenders ? Why not tuck and run ? Inexcusable.

Smith botched. I'll give Crabtree some of the blame, but Smith has to own up as well.

Nah dude I'm pretty sure that the play Smith should've ran for the first down was the other INT where Crabtree ran the wrong route. I could be wrong on that but I don't think I am. And Crab was wide open when Smith threw it, it hit him in the hands, he took his eye off the ball to run up field and wound up deflecting it.

The other pick where Crab ran the wrong route Smith probably should've ran for it but I don't remember for sure. f**k, I just want to forget this game to be honest. The only guys who earned their paycheck today were Willis, Davis, and Andy Lee.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I noticed the usual Stans have gone to bed to early tonight. Ran out of excuses- I guess.

for example Memphis9er and buddies....
I think they went to the tit@n game....
So happy I didn't stay up to 2am to start to watch this pathetic excuse for a QB. Same as it is, same as it ever was.

No I didn't watch, but I have read about everything there is on this game..

Loser.. >AS

Oh and lets run Gore, not try Westbrook or Dixon when Gore can't get any yards.

Same ol, same ol.. Not making any excuses, just sayin..
Originally posted by D_Niner:

IDK...Shaun played bad but put his team in position to win. If it wasn't for an unfortunate call, he would be hailed as a hero again.
He will look fine backing up Trot Smith! Sing knows his leash is short and expectations are high, Troy is insurance, when he saw how bad Carr looked in the preseason, Sing knows he may have to pull Alex to save his own job...
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Hill almost won that game for detroit if not for a stupid rule.

Originally posted by jcs:

Yes and Alex would have looked even worse today if those 2 almost interceptions were actually caught by the other team; but, back to reality now... Alex did do marginally better than Hill.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Yes and Alex would have looked even worse today if those 2 almost interceptions were actually caught by the other team; but, back to reality now... Alex did do marginally better than Hill.

I dunnnooooo.....

I dunnnooooo.....

LOL
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
He will look fine backing up Trot Smith! Sing knows his leash is short and expectations are high, Troy is insurance, when he saw how bad Carr looked in the preseason, Sing knows he may have to pull Alex to save his own job...

This

I think this whole Smith enduro is going to come to head very quickly.

If the Hawks, who were/are expected to finish last in our division can do this to the Niners, then what will the Superbowl Champ Saints who just kicked Farve's a$$, do to us?! 45-10?! Hope not..gezz

Just think about their pass rush and mr happy feet back there running to the sideline throwing high, hard and behind..
Alex is just not accurate enought to be an NFL QB! He missed easy TDs. He threw high to Josh Morgan and Moran Norris and both i thought were wide open. I know its one game and I'm still hoping for the best, but I just don't see it from Alex.

What was with the throw out of bounds with no one there. That was horrible.
Share 49ersWebzone