There are 302 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
And here I thought someone started a new thread and it got up to 12 pages overnight. Kind of interesting to see everyone's opinions, and whether or not they have changed. I read the first few pages, and they are really no different than that dumb arse phoenix thread.

Zoners come and go like there is no tomorrow though, I do not recognize barely any of those names!
Originally posted by smashmouth49:
Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf have to be ecstatic at the recent arrival of both JaMarcus Russell and Alex Smith, who are on their way to make the aforemention forgotten as the two new kings of "biggest busts of the NFL", a crown they gladly pass.. While cringing with JTO at the helm and watching him continually hanging in too long to always wait for a receiver to break open, Alex in the same situation would have been nearly to the sidelined already running from pressure (and often perceived pressure that didn't exist). I just think some here cannot stomach the idea that we blew the highest pick in Niner history and would rather live on fantasy island.

Dude you are so wrong,no one will ever take Ryan Leafs spot as the biggest bust ever,he has a solid hold on it for all time,the guy never even had one good game.And as for Smith imagining pressure,I would like to see any other QB that has ever played in the NFL have to take snaps behind that crappy oline with the crappy talent Smith had to work with his first two years.Some of you geniuses expected too much from a kid that hadn't even taken a snap in a regular offense,the mistake with Smith wasn't in the drafting of him,he clearly was the best option in a thin draft at QB,but throwing him into a pro style offense straight out of a college spread offense.The smart coach(which we now know Coach Asshat wasn't)would have sat him on the bench the first year or two and let him watch Rattay get clobbered every other snap.I know a lot of you guys have the attention span of a Panamanian fruit fly,and even less patience,but we need to keep the two best qb's we have and the Smith/Hill combo is the best we have.These two are the best we have to work with and the only hope we have for having a decent year.I think if you pay attention around the league it takes a little while for spread system QB's to adjust to the pro systems,even the ones that aren't drafted onto the worst team in the NFL.Hey at least we didn't get stuck with JaMarcus Russel or Vince Young :)
Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf have to be ecstatic at the recent arrival of both JaMarcus Russell and Alex Smith, who are on their way to make the aforemention forgotten as the two new kings of "biggest busts of the NFL", a crown they gladly pass.. While cringing with JTO at the helm and watching him continually hanging in too long to always wait for a receiver to break open, Alex in the same situation would have been nearly to the sidelined already running from pressure (and often perceived pressure that didn't exist). I just think some here cannot stomach the idea that we blew the highest pick in Niner history and would rather live on fantasy island.
epic win

I think Jamarcus Russell will be fine. Well ok he is on the Raiders so he wont be. But his talent level is ions higher than Alex Leaf. You are right though. Alex will be forgotten. He will never have to go through people, saying hey werent you that Bust from 49ers? Most people outside of the niner world vaguely knows who is.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er4eva:

I think Jamarcus Russell will be fine. Well ok he is on the Raiders so he wont be. But his talent level is ions higher than Alex Leaf. You are right though. Alex will be forgotten. He will never have to go through people, saying hey werent you that Bust from 49ers? Most people outside of the niner world vaguely knows who is.

Yea i would say Jamarcus's talent level is ions above Alex's also..... just about the size of an electron better

What is with this word "potential"? Does it even mean anything? Everyone with "potential" around here seems to fail.

[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Jun 6, 2009 at 17:26:35 ]

Didn't Tim Couch take the Browns to the playoffs? Stop insulting Mr. Couch.
Here's what Kevin Lynch of the Chronicle just wrtoe about today's practice:

"Alex Smith was the hands down winner of Saturday morning's session. He really excelled throwing to receivers who were working man-on-man against defensive backs. In one four-pass sequence, Smith hit Isaac Bruce on a perfectly-thrown long pass (who was well-guarded by rookie free-agent corner Carlos Thomas), then fired a on-the-money crossing route to Brandon Jones (Allen Rossum covering), then dropped a long touchdown pass to Mark Bradford (Jahi Word-Daniels covering) and finished hitting Michael Spurlock on a quick slant."

Sounds promising
Originally posted by excelsior:

"Alex Smith was the hands down winner of Saturday morning's session. He really excelled throwing to receivers who were working man-on-man against defensive backs. In one four-pass sequence, Smith hit Isaac Bruce on a perfectly-thrown long pass (who was well-guarded by rookie free-agent corner Carlos Thomas), then fired a on-the-money crossing route to Brandon Jones (Allen Rossum covering), then dropped a long touchdown pass to Mark Bradford (Jahi Word-Daniels covering) and finished hitting Michael Spurlock on a quick slant."

Sounds promising

Triple post ... of a different kind than the one we usually see around here

• vv9er
  • Veteran

Sounds promising

See bolded. Isn't Allen Rossum our kick returner? Grasp for straws much?

Was any other quarterback at the morning practice?

[ Edited by vv9er on Jun 6, 2009 at 19:24:02 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Sounds promising

Tell me why did you post this three times in three different threads?? Are you telling me I need to merge all these damn Alex Smith threads together??
I had high hopes when we drafted Alex and I really wanted him to succeed. He seemed like a nice guy, worked hard, and seemed dedicated to the team. I sincerely hoped all the nay-sayers were wrong, but they weren't. Alex has done little to show he has potential to compete consistently in the NFL. Despite his terrible play on the field people still make Alexcuses for him. Most of them may even be correct: Alex was probably put in a situation to fail and it probably isn't entirely his fault that he sucks. But whether it is his fault or not, he does suck and he should not be given a free pass because it is not all his fault. He is damaged and he is not going to be able to lead the team so instead of making excuses for him, we should start looking for other options. I am not saying that Hill is the best option for the future of the organization, but it seems like he may be the best option for right now. I wish Alex the best, but he has had his chance in SF.

[ Edited by A_Zebra_Cake on Jun 6, 2009 at 23:22:47 ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Sounds promising

Tell me why did you post this three times in three different threads?? Are you telling me I need to merge all these damn Alex Smith threads together??

Potential, a true mark of.. wait, I forgot. Alex Leaf has that effect, kind-a-sleepy..
Share 49ersWebzone