LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Five Non-Rookies You're Most Eager to Watch in Pre-Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wodwo:
One guy that I'm interested in seeing that hasn't been discussed much is Jonathan Cooper. I know he's a bust. I know he's played poorly and has been injured. I'm not expecting anything from him.

I do think it'll be interesting to follow because of the emphasis the team has put on scheme fit. Will he be able to perform better in this scheme than others he's been in? I've read mixed reviews about his play last season, too. Lynch said that he "kind of resurrected his career".

I think I'm more optimistic than most just because I'm not assuming he'll be terrible. Again, I'm not expecting anything, but I am looking forward to seeing what he's got.

Our OG competition kind of seems like a "throwing darts" and "see what sticks" approach. Magnuson has shown promise but is still an unknown. Tomlinson has been average. Garnett was terrible early on but we don't know what he'll be like here. Cooper improved from his disastrous start to his career, but can he keep that up and/or build on it? Would the journeyman Mike Person be able to steal a spot from anyone?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Our OG competition kind of seems like a "throwing darts" and "see what sticks" approach. Magnuson has shown promise but is still an unknown. Tomlinson has been average. Garnett was terrible early on but we don't know what he'll be like here. Cooper improved from his disastrous start to his career, but can he keep that up and/or build on it? Would the journeyman Mike Person be able to steal a spot from anyone?

Yeah, hopefully it's a situation where they feel good about any of those guys starting. That whole guard competition will be interesting. I think the plan is to have Garnett and Cooper compete a RG. Garnett is working with the first team until Cooper is fully healed. Will that give him an edge? Will the loser of that battle compete with Tomlinson? Lynch said that they want to extend him, so is he considered a starter? Magnuson and Person seem like valuable back-up types to me, but maybe they end up being more.
Cooper - Has the light finally come on for him or was he just a product of being surrounded by studs in Dallas. I want to see how he works in Shanny's system which I have felt all along is the kind of system he should excel in.

Kittle - Can he up his game, and stay healthy all season. I loved this pick and think we saw a glimpse at the end of the season of a true #1 TE that I think he can be.

Sherman - Will be strange just to see him in a Niners uni, but am expecting clutch plays and a buttload more swag on D and in the secondary with him as a ringleader.

Thomas - Really expecting a huge jump this year, and hoping to see him put into a position to succeed. These 2 are kinda tied together IMHO, so if a see him taking most of his snaps at LEO in the PS, I may be concerned.

Attachou - Please stay healthy and be the 3 down answer to out LEO issues!
Sherman Thomas and Jimmy G are who I want to see ball out. So that means I want to see them more than just a bit in preseason.

Our 3 first rounders at guard are also on my must see list.

Cj- and his wobbley- 50 yard throws are up there as well. If you think about how far he tosses some of those ducks it's pretty scary if he learns how to spin it.
I want to see the full offense and Kyle and Jimmy get to use all of the tools from day 1. You pick the 5. It's been far far too long since the 49ers have had an interesting offensive mind at the helm.
A big part of the reason I want to see what Beathard does in the pre-season is because, on top of believing he has the tools to grow into a legitimate starting-caliber QB in due time, I want to feel comfortable about us being able to function strongly still if -- Heaven forbid -- Jimmy G ever got dinged up or something.

Many teams in this league have #2's that are barely functional and the team implodes when they have to play. Look at what happened to teams like Green Bay without Rodgers. Colts without Luck. Raiders without Carr. Chargers without Rivers. Texans without Watson last year. You have to have a strong #2. I want to see Beathard become the next Grbac, someone with the talent of a starter behind an All-Pro QB.
Share 49ersWebzone