LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Five Non-Rookies You're Most Eager to Watch in Pre-Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There's definitely a lot of talk about the newcomers we just drafted, but there's a lot of young talent from last year's class that I'm excited to see the progression of too. With that said, I'm curious who you other 'Zoners are eager to get a look at. My top five would be the following:

1. C.J. Beathard, QB
Many people dog on Beathard as harsh as they would on a player who was taken in the 1st round or just signed big bucks. This is over-the-top and unfair to Beathard (a mid rounder), but furthermore it is incredibly premature to start labeling the guy as a career backup after what was statistically a rock solid rookie debut. It wasn't a large sample size, but over his first six games, he totaled 1430 passing yards and 136 rushing yards with 7 touchdowns (4 passing, 3 rushing) and 6 INTs. Compare that with the first six games of several other current NFL starters: Joe Flacco (1076 yards, 2 TD, 7 INT) / Eli Manning (833 yards, 3 TDs, 8 INT) / Alex Smith (682 yards, 0 TD, 10 INT) / Matthew Stafford (1265 yards, 5 TDs, 12 INT, 2 rush TDs) / Matt Ryan (1164 yards, 5 TD, 3 INT) / Jared Goff (969 yards, 5 TD, 7 INT, 1 rush TD). You get the point by now... and hopefully you can see why I'm really looking forward to see what kind of jump he can make in year two. Beathard showed almost unheard of toughness out there and made some brilliant throws at times under duress. I see now what Shanahan saw in him, especially in terms of fearlessness, and can't wait to see where he's at in year two.

2. Joe Williams, RB
Frankly, we've barely gotten to see what he can do at all. He was stashed away on IR all of last year, but in terms of ability as a runner, by all means he seems to have RB1 kinds of tools. In brief action in last year's pre-season, you caught a small glimpse of this. I'm sure the staff hopes as much as the next guy that he can use this off-season to sharpen his game and earn a roster spot, but after no playing time last year, he's got an uphill battle. For the first time in years, the team didn't draft a running back. Perhaps this points to them still having faith in JW. Hopefully he can reward us all with a stellar showing so he can secure a place along side the other RBs on the final roster.

3. Pita Taumoepenu, OLB
Pita has spent the last year stashed on the roster with limited PT (just two games all of last season), but you have to believe there's a good reason they elected to not take a chance trying to put him on the practice squad. Scrappy, relentless, and highly athletic, Pita on paper seems like the perfect developmental SAM prospect. While it might be overly optimistic to expect him to overtake Harold for the SAM position, at worst his development should push Harold even further to step up his game (remember he's in a contract year this year). As much as Harold has been statistically disappointing, he hasn't been a "bad" player, he just hasn't been an "impact guy". Harold (remember 2017 was his first season as a 4-3 player) and Pita will both have continuity behind them going into 2018, so either way I'm looking for improvement, specifically in pass rush, at the SAM position.

4. Joshua Garnett, OG
I've been a vocal skeptic about Garnett since evaluating him as a college prospect, but will continue to root for him to prove me wrong. Now entering his third year, body reshaped, I'm hopeful he's had enough time to correct the flaws he had when he entered the league. I honestly don't trust any of the guys we have at OG outside of Person (experienced C/G who provides solid insurance) and Magnuson (who I think showed a lot of promise last year). Garnett's smarts and passion make him a guy with a lot of upside still. Perhaps he'll be a late bloomer. I hope he is, because we really need someone who can help shore up the interior for years to come.

5. Erik Magnuson, C/G
As previously stated, Magnuson was a guy who really flashed some starter potential last year to me. Just a gutsy, gritty competitor who came in and surprised a lot of people doing so well as a UDFA last pre-season and clearly earned himself a roster spot. Played well out of position at RT due to necessity, but he seems to be a roster lock this year as a younger Zane Beadles type of player (hopefully much better though). Personally, I think if he continues to trend upward, we could see him growing into the RG of the future and putting up a heavy fight against Cooper/Garnett for that spot. Hopefully that foot injury is 100% healed with no lingering after-effects.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 14, 2018 at 9:09 AM ]
  • thl408
Just from last year's draft class?
1. Thomas - He needs to flash more often as a pass rusher to validate his potential as a game changing type of player. Solid is good, but a top 3 pick needs to be more than solid.

2. Colbert - Can he really be the fixture at FS for this defense? Many flashes last season and I'm hoping it wasn't a flash in the pan. What a gem it would be to find the starting FS - a critical component of this scheme - in the 7th round.

3. Witherspoon - Was showing a good transition into being a Cover3 CB after playing very little zone defense in college. I don't see a reason why he can't be considered as a potential "#1 CB". He has the athletic ability and he has the smarts. Now he gets to learn from one of the best.

4. Kittle - Can he emerge as a threat in the red zone, and can he improve on his run blocking to the point that he is the guy for this offense? Kyle has had possession receiver type TEs (Owen Daniels), and a big play type (Jordan Cameron). Which type is Kittle?

5. Foster - Will he shrug off the off field issues to continue being a a dominant LB?
[ Edited by thl408 on May 14, 2018 at 9:25 AM ]
  • dj43
Nice piece, OTC.

I too am particularly intrigued with Beathard. I see him following the same pattern as Garappolo in New England when he was sitting behind Brady and learning the fine points of the game. In this very competitive league, if you QB1 goes down, and you don't have a competent QB2, you can kiss off your season. Beathard showed last season that he had enough of the basics to win if the rest of the pieces began to fall into place. He is at least a future major trade piece a la Jimmy G.

A guy you didn't mention but one I am going to be watching is Arik Armstead. I want to see him have a good run while healthy and see what he can do. When healthy, he has flashed at times but with different systems and injuries, he has never really had a serious go at it.
Beathard (QB)
Williams (RB)
Bourne (WR)
Attaochu (DE/Elephant)
Toomer (LB)
  • thl408
If we are allowed to name players outside of last year's draft class, then I'll go with:
1. Thomas - please do something really good on the pass rush.
2. Attachou - please do something really good on the pass rush.
3. Colbert - keep making plays
4. Jet - do something to justify the high salary
5. Richberg - how much can a legit Center improve this offense?
Great idea for a thread. I agree with all of these.

RB: Raheem Mostert - Gotta see how he's recovered. Was a gunner demon with 4.3 speed who often times would be standing there waiting for the Pinion punt to come down. With his speed and Moore's 4.2 speed, these two could be the best duo-gunners in the NFL.
TE: George Kittle & Cole Hikutini - Fans forget how much "Brittle" was hurt last year. At the end of the year he finally got healthy and with each game got more and more explosion back. "DirtyTini" seems like he has some upside as well and will compete with Dwelley.
YWR: Trent Tylor - He's been working out hard and I'm sure he's trying to add to his YAC and long speed.
ZWR: Kendrick Bourne - Kyle personally challenged him and he could be hard to keep off the field
LOT: Garry Gilliam - Not a rookie but could play a pivotal role with injuries. Looks like he's in great shape.
LG: Laken Tomlinson - Seemed to get better and better as the year progressed. With others pushing for his job, has he slimmed down, worked on his explosion, become fully efficient in the offense, etc.?
ROT: Darrell Williams Jr. - Strong pre season but can he stick now?
LDE: Arik Armstead - Not a draft pick but might as well be one. $9M to finally prove his worth at a position best suited for him in Big End.
NT: D.J. Jones - Could displace Mitchell.
RDT: Sheldon Day - Another late addition but has some terrific talent and Saleh can finally give Buckner less snaps.
LEO: Solomon Thomas - This one is obvious.
WILL: Elijah Lee - Another late addition that the team was originally high on. Needed to hit the weight room for a year.
RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon - So much hinges on his second year.
SS: Chancellor James - Absolutely blew up a Niner in pre season who, a year later, was still suffering from post-concussion issues, and recently just released.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 14, 2018 at 9:44 AM ]
  • Awake
1. Jimmy Garopollo, QB
I'm curious to which girl will he choose. The sophisticated and elegant Alexandra King, or the girl next door blonde, that's also really down to earth and one of the guys bartender. Maybe even Emma Watson might make an appearance, who knows but the suspense is killing me.

2. Witherspoon, CB
Will he reach his potential and supplant Sherman as the #1 CB in go-cart racing? It's a tall order, but the future doctor has the athletic ability and drive to be great. His progress is something I'll be closely watching.

3. Kittle, TE
How far can he go on FortNite? Will the dominance continue? Or will Trent Taylor be the lead dog? The competition is fierce, hopefully, their friendship can last.

4. Colbert, FS/SS
Will he ever get over the comparison to Goldson? Or will he be resentful toward the fanbase? If he doesn't produce with his new number of 27 the public outcry to go back to Goldson lite will be egregious, to say the least.

5. Sol. Thomas, DE
Can he improve from year 1 to year 2? Hopefully, he's worked on his technique and our new pass rush coach helps him reach new heights.
Bourne and Beathard. Two guys I think will look like starters in their 2nd year.
Originally posted by dj43:
Nice piece, OTC.

I too am particularly intrigued with Beathard. I see him following the same pattern as Garappolo in New England when he was sitting behind Brady and learning the fine points of the game. In this very competitive league, if you QB1 goes down, and you don't have a competent QB2, you can kiss off your season. Beathard showed last season that he had enough of the basics to win if the rest of the pieces began to fall into place. He is at least a future major trade piece a la Jimmy G.

A guy you didn't mention but one I am going to be watching is Arik Armstead. I want to see him have a good run while healthy and see what he can do. When healthy, he has flashed at times but with different systems and injuries, he has never really had a serious go at it.

If I was listing my "most excited to see in the *regular* season" thread, AA would definitely be towards the top of that list. I'm a big defender of AA and think he catches way too much hate that he doesn't deserve, in my opinion. I really hope he stays healthy this year and shuts a lot of people up.
Originally posted by thl408:
Just from last year's draft class?
1. Thomas - He needs to flash more often as a pass rusher to validate his potential as a game changing type of player. Solid is good, but a top 3 pick needs to be more than solid.

2. Colbert - Can he really be the fixture at FS for this defense? Many flashes last season and I'm hoping it wasn't a flash in the pan. What a gem it would be to find the starting FS - a critical component of this scheme - in the 7th round.

3. Witherspoon - Was showing a good transition into being a Cover3 CB after playing very little zone defense in college. I don't see a reason why he can't be considered as a potential "#1 CB". He has the athletic ability and he has the smarts. Now he gets to learn from one of the best.

4. Kittle - Can he emerge as a threat in the red zone, and can he improve on his run blocking to the point that he is the guy for this offense? Kyle has had possession receiver type TEs (Owen Daniels), and a big play type (Jordan Cameron). Which type is Kittle?

5. Foster - Will he shrug off the off field issues to continue being a a dominant LB?

This would be my list in slightly different order but not for pre-season. I'd actually hope those guys don't get a ton of time in preseason for obvious reasons.

Preseason OP's list is pretty good.

I'd also love to see what we have in Elijah Lee and Greg Mabin.

Nice thread.

In addition to yours I'd go

Cole Hikutini, Tight Ends typically struggle in year 1, has some great receiving skills would like to see him step up as a blocker and overtakes Celek.

Chanceller James, had a great camp, was well ahead of Colbert and needs a really good showing to stick on the roster.
All I am concerned about is the pass rush. That is the one area the front office "ignored" in the draft because they couldn't find anyone better than the following:

Marsh
Attaochu
Armstead
Harold
Taumoepenu
S. Thomas

This group better come out like a house on fire. If not, guess the Niners will be scouring the waiver wire before the season starts to shore up this critical area of need.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Bourne and Beathard. Two guys I think will look like starters in their 2nd year.

Originally posted by thl408:
If we are allowed to name players outside of last year's draft class, then I'll go with:
1. Thomas - please do something really good on the pass rush.
2. Attachou - please do something really good on the pass rush.
3. Colbert - keep making plays
4. Jet - do something to justify the high salary
5. Richberg - how much can a legit Center improve this offense?

Oh yes, I mentioned in general there are some players from last year's draft class I did want to see, but the list can be any non-rookie on the roster.

A couple people mentioned Kendrick Bourne and he's a guy that's really intriguing that I sometimes forget about, especially with all the new blood at WR. It'll be interesting to see how much he improves from year one to year two. He's a guy that brings a little more size and is another candidate for the future as an outside WR for whenever Garcon goes. From the Arizona game going forward, he had a catch in all but one of the games for the rest of the season (@CHI the one outlier).

You never know who's going to take that next step. As Shanahan has said before, "you're either getting better or you're getting worse." He's going to have to be better to keep some talented, hungry rookies from surpassing him on the depth chart, but his edge in experience now certainly helps.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great idea for a thread. I agree with all of these.

RB: Raheem Mostert - Gotta see how he's recovered. Was a gunner demon with 4.3 speed who often times would be standing there waiting for the Pinion punt to come down. With his speed and Moore's 4.2 speed, these two could be the best duo-gunners in the NFL.
TE: George Kittle & Cole Hikutini - Fans forget how much "Brittle" was hurt last year. At the end of the year he finally got healthy and with each game got more and more explosion back. "DirtyTini" seems like he has some upside as well and will compete with Dwelley.
YWR: Trent Tylor - He's been working out hard and I'm sure he's trying to add to his YAC and long speed.
ZWR: Kendrick Bourne - Kyle personally challenged him and he could be hard to keep off the field
LOT: Garry Gilliam - Not a rookie but could play a pivotal role with injuries. Looks like he's in great shape.
LG: Laken Tomlinson - Seemed to get better and better as the year progressed. With others pushing for his job, has he slimmed down, worked on his explosion, become fully efficient in the offense, etc.?
ROT: Darrell Williams Jr. - Strong pre season but can he stick now?
LDE: Arik Armstead - Not a draft pick but might as well be one. $9M to finally prove his worth at a position best suited for him in Big End.
NT: D.J. Jones - Could displace Mitchell.
RDT: Sheldon Day - Another late addition but has some terrific talent and Saleh can finally give Buckner less snaps.
LEO: Solomon Thomas - This one is obvious.
WILL: Elijah Lee - Another late addition that the team was originally high on. Needed to hit the weight room for a year.
RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon - So much hinges on his second year.
SS: Chancellor James - Absolutely blew up a Niner in pre season who, a year later, was still suffering from post-concussion issues, and recently just released.

Who needs top 5 when you could look at every position? lol. If I expanded it to one non-rookie guy at each position group, I'd go with the following:

QB - Beathard
RB - Williams
TE - Hikutini
WR - Bourne
OT - Darrell Williams
OG - Garnett
C - Magnuson
DL - Armstead
MLB - Toomer
OLB - Taumoepenu
CB - Sherman
S - Chanceller James
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Who needs top 5 when you could look at every position? lol. If I expanded it to one non-rookie guy at each position group, I'd go with the following:

QB - Beathard
RB - Williams
TE - Hikutini
WR - Bourne
OT - Darrell Williams
OG - Garnett
C - Magnuson
DL - Armstead
MLB - Toomer
OLB - Taumoepenu
CB - Sherman
S - Chanceller James