There are 132 users in the forums

2018 49er Draft In One Word

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Determined. They got done what they wanted, with good scheme fits. At the end of the day, they got their guys. The only other criteria for judging that counts is how the new players perform, and that remains to be seen. Any other criteria for judging performance in the draft is inconsequential.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
shortchanged...going into draft we needed 5 slots. OG, CB, 2 LBs, EDGE, and some could argue another LB. We missed on EDGE, another LB, and OG(or OG/C). So we picked up a speedster WR who also does PR, excellent LB, and a good CB. We FAed a very good Center previously. We added depth at WR (altho I still am not sure why other than we were using guys off the Walmart parking lot at WR at one point last yr), we doubled up at DB with a total of 4. In that mix we got a premier PR, ST guys, and interchangeable S/CB players. We missed completely on priority(ER) #1 for some folks (like me) and a second LB. The OT, WR, LB, and CB we got with 4 picks in first 3 rds were all good picks, and probably starters at OT, LB, maybe Moore at CB. So not too shabby, 3 of 6 needs filled. Pettis was not a true need, but was an extra tool that Kyle wanted for his FR QB. No argument there. But he wasn't a dire need.

The Street pick(potential AA replacement in a yr, with just recent surgery on his leg, and as our 4th rd pick when still were some starters available ) was umm....puzzler. DJ Reed in 5th (CB) is depth, Marcel harris SS (surgery LAST yr on ACL)...ouchey....in rd 6, another puzzler. Julian Taylor , another DL?? Hmmm....and finally, Richie James, slot WR and ST.

Point is we had 5 identifiable holes going into draft and came out with 3 filled, and double depth at DBs...in a draft rich in DBs...good for us. Hopefully we got the corners and Ss finished off. Certainly have depth. But EDGE, another starting LB, and a starting OG or OG/C...we didn't fill those slots . We had a good pass pro RT in Trent Brown and that was our #1 pick in the draft, OT. He is a sure starter, but we had a starting RT, but no sure fire OG...either of them. So we filled a slot with our #1 pick where we could have waited until next yr, and did not fill an OG slot we needed this yr.. If it turns out Magnus , or Laken, or Cooper, can fill out both OG slots, then OK. But we took a position we had a starter at, and swapped him out for an OT we could have waited a yr on. I get that Trent wasn't 310 pounds and quick as a greyhound, but we could have waited on that pick til next yr. Instead we make it the #1 pick in a really down yr for OTs. That is strange. But it certainly says kyle doesn't want any overweight guys on his OL. Filling 3 of our 5 slots wasn't bad...but we could have done better...as in work on filling gaps for this yr before concentrating on gaps for next yr (OT). Based on philosophy, I would give us a C. On talent of our rds 1-3, A. The rds 4 on down.... good depth. But OG, another LB, and EDGE were not addressed. That seems odd. So on philosophy of draft I would give that a lesser grade. Can't fault the 4 DBs taken. But the two ACL cases.? weird to strange. Or as I said for one word: Shortchanged.

Well argued.
My assessment: Amateurish.

Nothing against the players. But as in the manner in which business and the draft was conducted. Overpaying. Impatient. Relinquishing value without reason or forethought. They did it last year; and they did it again, worse, this year.

Lynch is an Amateur. And Shannahan is too immature to handle coaching and GM duties on his own. He needs help, guidance, and Lynch is not the one to provide it. Lynch is "Suit II". And he actually offers less than the first one.

If anything, they lucked out by being force fed Garappolo; they can't take credit for that. (And they even mishandled that). We'll see how the season goes. I was real thrilled with the Shannahan hiring and was taking a wait-and-see approach with Lynch. Now, having "seen", I'm not as "sold" as most.

How did we over value, no one knows for sure if all 256 picks will turn out good or bad, it gets really tiring when people say I would have picked so and so, or we should have picked so and so, when you're not an NFL GM or Coach, I trust Lynch, Shanahan and Peters, obviously Shanny likes Pettis, and it wasn't abad trade, we got back a 5th which we used on DJ Reed. If people "knew" then they'd be in the NFL or with a team.

Also when people say we should have taken so and so, and that players either went 2 or 3 rounds later, or Undrafted, I just shake my head, cause people complain about overdrafting, like someone wanted the 74th pick to take a TE but the next TE taken was Mark Andrews at 86, 12 picks later, which by their own opinion would have been a reach/overdrafting.

1 week later... one word: ...."BETTER". I am acclimating, seeing it more thru their eyes, still weird on the ACL deals(2), but overall..."Better" to describe the draft. One thing I really hope...and that is Kentavious comes out next yr, breathing fire and we see Aldon Smith #2 out there. Man would that ever make me feel better yet. As to your points, AB, we for sure got 3 starters, so A grade there. And I think our DB may start so that would be 4 starters. So I am feeling better and the pair of later DBs...you gotta like that, esp if they happen to make the 53.
Epic
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by LVJay:
#Humorous

#Fetish
SPEED
Share 49ersWebzone