There are 166 users in the forums

49ers UDFA Signings Thread(Full List in OP)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm really intrigued by the potential of Patrick Choudja. I know he's not an official signing, but reports are that the team really likes him and there's a strong chance after the mini-camp tryouts he gets a deal.

Dude has freakishly long arms (34 1/2 inches) and appears to use them well. Looks quite raw, but you see he's got some ability. Also, don't look at his 40-time range of 4.89 - 4.99, what you want to look at is his 10-yard split. He had a 10-yard split of 1.65 -- to put that into perspective, Bradley Chubb had a handheld split of 1.64 (electronic 1.62) -- that is terrific. Choudja unquestionably has the athleticism and length to play DE in our scheme. I hope he shows enough to get a deal to go into TC.

Perhaps a SAM with some ER ability who can challenge Pita...Harold is gone.

Choudja looks like a developmental LEO to me. The combination of size, explosiveness, and rare length would make him a problem for OTs should he be given a chance to develop and harness that ability. Of course there's more to football than athleticism; the mental aspect can sink even the best athletes if they don't have the XO smarts on the whiteboard or the instincts/football IQ to seamlessly function within the system.

Great call. That's exactly where I had him slated to compete.

SAM: Eli Harold; Pita Taumoepenu, Dekoda Watson & Patrick Choudja

This is from Lynch in March.

According to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, Lynch said Harold, who played mostley strong-side linebacker in 2017, could be moved to the "Leo" defensive end position, which is the team's spot for its best pass rusher.

"We think Eli's got some skills," Lynch told Barrows. "We felt like he made some great progress at the SAM linebacker spot last year, but we do believe he has some rush ability that is untapped. And we need to tap it. And we're going to give him that opportunity."

Harold, a 6-foot-4, 235-pounder, was a third-round pick of the 49ers in 2015 out of Virginia, where he played defensive end. He came into the league with a reputation of being a strong pass rusher, but has had just five sacks over 48 games in three seasons.

Taumoepenu, a 6-foot-1, 243-pounder who was a sixth-round pick from Utah in 2017, played in just two games as a rookie. But Lynch believes he could make an impact as a pass rusher and will get a chance at the "Leo" and strong-side linebacker positions.

Taumoepenu is a former rugby player from Tonga who was an impact player at Utah as a defensive end. A year ago, Lynch said Taumoepenu's work ethic, skills and passion were things the 49ers loved about him.

Lynch wants to see that this summer. Lynch believes Taumoepenu can be a strong pass rusher.

"You need someone with great speed and you need someone with relentless effort," Lynch said just after last year's draft. "And that's the one thing that jumped off the screen. He can run and he plays with his hair on fire."
[ Edited by NCommand on May 8, 2018 at 5:36 AM ]
I'm really intrigued by the potential of Patrick Choudja. I know he's not an official signing, but reports are that the team really likes him and there's a strong chance after the mini-camp tryouts he gets a deal.

Dude has freakishly long arms (34 1/2 inches) and appears to use them well. Looks quite raw, but you see he's got some ability. Also, don't look at his 40-time range of 4.89 - 4.99, what you want to look at is his 10-yard split. He had a 10-yard split of 1.65 -- to put that into perspective, Bradley Chubb had a handheld split of 1.64 (electronic 1.62) -- that is terrific. Choudja unquestionably has the athleticism and length to play DE in our scheme. I hope he shows enough to get a deal to go into TC.

Perhaps a SAM with some ER ability who can challenge Pita...Harold is gone.

Choudja looks like a developmental LEO to me. The combination of size, explosiveness, and rare length would make him a problem for OTs should he be given a chance to develop and harness that ability. Of course there's more to football than athleticism; the mental aspect can sink even the best athletes if they don't have the XO smarts on the whiteboard or the instincts/football IQ to seamlessly function within the system.

Great call. That's exactly where I had him slated to compete.

SAM: Eli Harold; Pita Taumoepenu, Dekoda Watson & Patrick Choudja

This is from Lynch in March.

According to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, Lynch said Harold, who played mostley strong-side linebacker in 2017, could be moved to the "Leo" defensive end position, which is the team's spot for its best pass rusher.

"We think Eli's got some skills," Lynch told Barrows. "We felt like he made some great progress at the SAM linebacker spot last year, but we do believe he has some rush ability that is untapped. And we need to tap it. And we're going to give him that opportunity."

Harold, a 6-foot-4, 235-pounder, was a third-round pick of the 49ers in 2015 out of Virginia, where he played defensive end. He came into the league with a reputation of being a strong pass rusher, but has had just five sacks over 48 games in three seasons.

Taumoepenu, a 6-foot-1, 243-pounder who was a sixth-round pick from Utah in 2017, played in just two games as a rookie. But Lynch believes he could make an impact as a pass rusher and will get a chance at the "Leo" and strong-side linebacker positions.

Taumoepenu is a former rugby player from Tonga who was an impact player at Utah as a defensive end. A year ago, Lynch said Taumoepenu's work ethic, skills and passion were things the 49ers loved about him.

Lynch wants to see that this summer. Lynch believes Taumoepenu can be a strong pass rusher.

"You need someone with great speed and you need someone with relentless effort," Lynch said just after last year's draft. "And that's the one thing that jumped off the screen. He can run and he plays with his hair on fire."

Do you have the link? Was that from this past March?

Versatility is always good. I would certainly love it if Harold can finally put it together and become the pass rusher we hoped he would be. I wonder how much of a leash any of these guys will get as we experiment at those positions.

Versatility is always good. I would certainly love it if Harold can finally put it together and become the pass rusher we hoped he would be. I wonder how much of a leash any of these guys will get as we experiment at those positions.

Yeah, sorry: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Lynch-Says-Harold-Taumoepenu-Can-Help-Pass-Rush-475552553.html

From March 1st, 2018

As to Harold, trying him out at LEO is pretty much the kiss of death. They know he's got zero chance to shine there, we have Attaochu for SAM and Pita changed his # to #55, etc.

That's like trying out Ward at CB. One foot out the door...just my early guesstimate.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 8, 2018 at 2:55 PM ]

Yeah, sorry: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Lynch-Says-Harold-Taumoepenu-Can-Help-Pass-Rush-475552553.html

From March 1st, 2018

As to Harold, trying him out at LEO is pretty much the kiss of death. They know he's got zero chance to shine there, we have Attaochu for SAM and Pita changed his # to #55, etc.

That's like trying out Ward at CB. One foot out the door...just my early guesstimate.

Still think Harold is just a base SAM and a solid one.. But that's it, come around regular season he ain't playing nickel.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

From March 1st, 2018

Still think Harold is just a base SAM and a solid one.. But that's it, come around regular season he ain't playing nickel.

I'd rather cut bait, and use the spot to keep someone who may not pass waivers, like Jullian Taylor.
Blaine Woodson DT signed after tryout, Deandre Carter cut.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

From March 1st, 2018

I'd rather cut bait, and use the spot to keep someone who may not pass waivers, like Jullian Taylor.

I bet you Taylor gets red shirted
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

From March 1st, 2018

Problem with this is that some players have a light go on in the 3rd, 4th, etc. year. They don't often get the chance to develop now...but let's see what happens this coming TC. Coaches have seen something in the guy for several years so maybe?
Share 49ersWebzone