Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Let's hope he can be our next KEVIN f*gAN... but really, we could have waited until the 6th or even 7th to land the guy... it would not have been such a loss anyway if we didn't land him..

too lazy to do a search, but was there any other DE/EDGE that was available??

Peter king actually said there was two teams interested in him In the 4th (ATL/NO) so no we couldn't have waited until the end of the draft like you're saying

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/5/12/17347316/kentavius-street-49ers-saints-falcons-interest

Two stacked rosters who could afford to stash an ACL. j/k

Ouch! Yeah.

Who are all the studs on that ATL DL? Who's there big end?

I dunno, but the point was those teams both passed on drafting Street despite the Article's so called interest in Street.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Why do you add "j/k" after a post that was obviously not a joke?

I was getting my sus in before sus.

Well actually we could afford to stash a player if you look at guys who could be off the roster after this upcoming year. AA,Mitchell,Blair. 2 are starters currently. With the gems we've found elsewhere and hopefully add to that list, I'm more than okay with a 4th on a possible future starter.

I agree, we can afford to stash a player on our roster, specially if they don't count against the 53 and aren't counted as against the cap. Although, I think we have plenty of cap space if he did count as one of the 53 against the cap. Having said that, one additional thing is Jerry's history of injuries.
"He's shown flashes," Chargers defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said. "You see him with his ability to rush, and you can never have enough rushers. You can never have enough.
"So to get him going and get a chance to see him, that's his biggest challenge -- to stay healthy enough so that we can see him on a consistent basis."
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/21542/chargers-staying-patient-with-jerry-attachou-to-a-point
It would have been nice to have some added depth on the edge rusher position with either Obo or Sweat (knowing Sweat also has some injury issues too) just in case Jerry gets dinged or has a more serious setback from a heath standpoint. Oh well, I think this offense, on paper can outscore the other teams 9 out of 10 times even though this defense might not be able to stop certain passing attacks. I Just hope all goes well health-wise with all of our edge rushers. Jimmy playing keep away and resting the defense will be a big factor in keeping our defensive players healthy.
Let's hope he can be our next KEVIN f*gAN... but really, we could have waited until the 6th or even 7th to land the guy... it would not have been such a loss anyway if we didn't land him..

Peter king actually said there was two teams interested in him In the 4th (ATL/NO) so no we couldn't have waited until the end of the draft like you're saying

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/5/12/17347316/kentavius-street-49ers-saints-falcons-interest

Ouch! Yeah.

Who are all the studs on that ATL DL? Who's there big end?

I dunno, but the point was those teams both passed on drafting Street despite the Article's so called interest in Street.

You see why I posted that article? Moon said we could have drafted him in the 6th or 7th which I highly doubt based on that article.

Look if you think we should have drafted a guy like TE Dalton Schultz more power to ya. IMO There wasn't s**t drafted from 128-142 (especially with the reports on Sweat's knee) and there was 4 DL taken between those picks.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Why do you add "j/k" after a post that was obviously not a joke?

I was getting my sus in before sus.

Well actually we could afford to stash a player if you look at guys who could be off the roster after this upcoming year. AA,Mitchell,Blair. 2 are starters currently. With the gems we've found elsewhere and hopefully add to that list, I'm more than okay with a 4th on a possible future starter.

I agree, we can afford to stash a player on our roster, specially if they don't count against the 53 and aren't counted as against the cap. Although, I think we have plenty of cap space if he did count as one of the 53 against the cap. Having said that, one additional thing is Jerry's history of injuries.

"He's shown flashes," Chargers defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said. "You see him with his ability to rush, and you can never have enough rushers. You can never have enough.
"So to get him going and get a chance to see him, that's his biggest challenge -- to stay healthy enough so that we can see him on a consistent basis."
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/21542/chargers-staying-patient-with-jerry-attachou-to-a-point
It would have been nice to have some added depth on the edge rusher position with either Obo or Sweat (knowing Sweat also has some injury issues too) just in case Jerry gets dinged or has a more serious setback from a heath standpoint. Oh well, I think this offense, on paper can outscore the other teams 9 out of 10 times even though this defense might not be able to stop certain passing attacks. I Just hope all goes well health-wise with all of our edge rushers. Jimmy playing keep away and resting the defense will be a big factor in keeping our defensive players healthy.

I'm with ya as far as edge goes. This draft was awful at that position end of the day...the NFL clearly didn't value sweat or OBO like we did in here.

I think we will struggle getting to the QB on the outside again this yr and that will be priority #1 next yr unfortunately
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Both teams were smart enough to pass on him in the 4th round.

Or one of those teams could have tried to trade up into the end of the 4th and picked Street, this is getting ridiculous with the way people keep winning and complaining about picks, yet you haven't seen them play a down yet. Everyone is ready to call Street, Pettis and every other pick a reach or bust. It's getting annoying to be honest, people need to chill out, and realize that not every big name guy people loved will turn out to be who they thought they'd end up being.

Did you read the article? Both teams had a pick in the 4th round ahead of the 49ers both teams passed. That's all that we know for sure, they clearly didn't value him at their respective 4th round selections. If you can't see the 49ers did a lot of reaching in the 2018 draft I don't know what to tell you Not whining or complaining.

Just because a team drafts someone else, it doesn't mean the players they didn't draft didn't have the same draft grade. Just because we drafted Solomon Thomas at 3 last year, doesn't mean we wouldn't have drafted Foster if Thomas wasn't there.

Also, you know who wasn't accused of reaching a lot? Baalke. Every draft, all of the "experts" would say Baalkes picks were 1st round talents that dropped for one reason or the other. Remember the 2014 draft? It was considered a "deep" WR draft. So instead of drafting Marquis Lee, Allen Robinson, Davate Adams, Jarvis Landry, Moncrief, or John Brown. He drafted the highest rated (by the experts) RB in the draft (Hyde), the highest rated Center in the draft (Martin), and the highest rathed guard in the draft (Thomas) and was praised for still getting Ellington in the 4th which was praised by the "experts" as a great value pick.

I agree with you that Lynch and Shanahan don't seem to go for value but rather seem to target a player and take him regardless of what happened before that pick and who is still available. Only time will tell if that is a bad thing.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Just because a team drafts someone else, it doesn't mean the players they didn't draft didn't have the same draft grade. Just because we drafted Solomon Thomas at 3 last year, doesn't mean we wouldn't have drafted Foster if Thomas wasn't there.

Also, you know who wasn't accused of reaching a lot? Baalke. Every draft, all of the "experts" would say Baalkes picks were 1st round talents that dropped for one reason or the other. Remember the 2014 draft? It was considered a "deep" WR draft. So instead of drafting Marquis Lee, Allen Robinson, Davate Adams, Jarvis Landry, Moncrief, or John Brown. He drafted the highest rated (by the experts) RB in the draft (Hyde), the highest rated Center in the draft (Martin), and the highest rathed guard in the draft (Thomas) and was praised for still getting Ellington in the 4th which was praised by the "experts" as a great value pick.

I agree with you that Lynch and Shanahan don't seem to go for value but rather seem to target a player and take him regardless of what happened before that pick and who is still available. Only time will tell if that is a bad thing.

As Phoenix stated this FO from what little we've seen seems to value scheme fit, football character, athletic ability etc. Baalke was all about value regardless of scheme fit (and like long arms lol).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

As Phoenix stated this FO from what little we've seen seems to value scheme fit, football character, athletic ability etc. Baalke was all about value regardless of scheme fit (and like long arms lol).

They must like their current edge rushers - all they did after free agency was add Street, Julian Taylor, and undrafted DT Zach Franklin (on paper Street and Julian look the same). In other words, they were more concerned with the interior line than the edge rusher position. Man, it would be really interesting how the 'Zone will react if Eli is starting at edge during the season.
They must like their current edge rushers - all they did after free agency was add Street, Julian Taylor, and undrafted DT Zach Franklin (on paper Street and Julian look the same). In other words, they were more concerned with the interior line than the edge rusher position. Man, it would be really interesting how the 'Zone will react if Eli is starting at edge during the season.

Again you can't magically make edge rushers appear, you can't tell 31 other teams hey don't draft one of the only edge guys...dibs

The saints gave up two 1st rd picks for freaking raw ass davenport good edge prospects never reach FA either...So no,I don't think they think there set there..just that there's no real talent outside of one or two guys in this draft.

They stocked up on DBs because that's just as important as edge rushers and there was talent at that position this yr. you can't upgrade every position in one draft/off season.

They also picked up UDFA Blaine Woodson 6'2" 280 lb DL ... where have I heard those numbers before?

I wanted Marcell Frazier as a UDFA but the Seahawks got him.

This draft was pathetic at Edge. I didn't really like much after the 3rd other than several more DBs but last I checked the 49ers have 20ish of them to deal with already.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
He's a future...

Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Both teams were smart enough to pass on him in the 4th round.

Or one of those teams could have tried to trade up into the end of the 4th and picked Street, this is getting ridiculous with the way people keep winning and complaining about picks, yet you haven't seen them play a down yet. Everyone is ready to call Street, Pettis and every other pick a reach or bust. It's getting annoying to be honest, people need to chill out, and realize that not every big name guy people loved will turn out to be who they thought they'd end up being.

Did you read the article? Both teams had a pick in the 4th round ahead of the 49ers both teams passed. That's all that we know for sure, they clearly didn't value him at their respective 4th round selections. If you can't see the 49ers did a lot of reaching in the 2018 draft I don't know what to tell you Not whining or complaining.

Well, I think it's not that they go for value. I think they go for their value. They said they had last years' draft valued:
1. Garrett
2. Solomon Thomas
3. Reuben Foster

Those were their top 3 players. They didn't pick Foster because he was targeted but because they had valued him as the #3 player in the draft and he was #3 overall on their board and were trying to trade back in to get him since the middle of the 1st.

Who knows what their board looked like. They don't build their board based off Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock's top 100 and draft value. Their top 100 players most definitely looked different than any experts'. Pettis may have been a guy who was #30 on their board and so when he was still there they moved up because, to them, they were getting a guy at a great value.

Again you can't magically make edge rushers appear, you can't tell 31 other teams hey don't draft one of the only edge guys...dibs

The saints gave up two 1st rd picks for freaking raw ass davenport good edge prospects never reach FA either...So no,I don't think they think there set there..just that there's no real talent outside of one or two guys in this draft.

They stocked up on DBs because that's just as important as edge rushers and there was talent at that position this yr. you can't upgrade every position in one draft/off season.
Agreed on all points. Just because there were DE's on the board doesn't mean they were worth drafting. Would drafting 3 Corey Lemonier's be worth more than drafting Street? Don't think so.

It would've made some fans happier but then upset when in 2 years those guys had 1 sack between them all. If they felt there weren't guys who could make an NFL team or do anything at the pro-level for pass rush or provide anything more than the guys they already have, there's no point.

What if they saw the guys left as 3 sacks per year guys based off estimated playing time at specialized ER? If you see Marsh or Asneez as 5-6 sack guys you're losing production when you take snaps away from them and give them to someone else.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Agreed on all points. Just because there were DE's on the board doesn't mean they were worth drafting. Would drafting 3 Corey Lemonier's be worth more than drafting Street? Don't think so.

It would've made some fans happier but then upset when in 2 years those guys had 1 sack between them all. If they felt there weren't guys who could make an NFL team or do anything at the pro-level for pass rush or provide anything more than the guys they already have, there's no point.

What if they saw the guys left as 3 sacks per year guys based off estimated playing time at specialized ER? If you see Marsh or Asneez as 5-6 sack guys you're losing production when you take snaps away from them and give them to someone else.

Well next year, NY85 says there's a stronger Pass Rush class. I'm looking forward to that draft, whether Attaochu or Pita develop or not. As an NFL head coach once said, you can't have enough elite edge rushers on your team. As for Kentavius, he's on the 49ers now, and I'm rooting for him to be our version of Red Bryant.

Share 49ersWebzone