There are 216 users in the forums

The myth of Rice's "4.7" 40 time

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by socalniner:
Jerry was running so fast in the playoffs against the Giants, the ball just pops out without him being touched. Never seen that again. I think we ended up losing that game

He fumbled against the Packers too. The Catch II should have never happened. lol
Originally posted by SoCold:
Jerry was running so fast in the playoffs against the Giants, the ball just pops out without him being touched. Never seen that again. I think we ended up losing that game

He fumbled against the Packers too. The Catch II should have never happened. lol

And the refs blew a bunch of calls in SB47. Its a crapshoot of good and bad luck with that stuff.

We got paid back with hearsts ankle the next week
Rice was probably the most precise route-runner in the history of the game. Because of his prowess he had an advantage over most defenders regardless of how fast they were. His route running would give him an extra half second - sort of like a constant handicap to the defender.
game speed baby

Originally posted by darockzillahitman:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Great example on Jerry using that game speed.

Nope, he was just using his speed, period. There's no such thing as "game speed." The fastest players in pads are always the fastest players without pads, in the same order. I used to coach youth football and saw this again and again whenever we ran sprint contests.

Rice doesn't out-run anyone whom he wouldn't beat in a regular race.

All of the most explosive players in NFL history could back it up on the track. Flipper Anderson beat Deion Sanders deep in the 1994 49ers/Rams SNF matchup. Guess who also beat him in the 100 yard dash in the superstars competition in 1990: http://www.thesuperstars.org/comp/90pr1.html

agree. Rice had speed. there is a myth behind the 4.7 number. in reality he did run a 4.4-4.5
Look up a Jerry Rice college game. Horrible video quality, but dude got the ball like every play.
don't know how fast JR was but I don't remember him ever getting caught from behind
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
What do you mean, "ask them?" What would Deion know about Jerry Rice's speed when he spent 95% of his time covering John Taylor on the other side? Sanders virtually never moved from his RCB position, which matched up with the split end (Taylor).

Rice only beat Deion for two significant catches in his career, and Deion was absolutely draped all over him on both of them. One was a deep ball vs. the Falcons in 1993, and the other was a medium range TD vs. the Falcons in 1989. Again, you can't have better coverage than Deion had on those two plays...the throw had to be absolutely perfect.

Rice also never out-ran Darrell Green in his career. He did the same thing Michael Irvin did to Green: screened him from the ball with his height advantage. Green was weak against bigger receivers, despite his great leaping ability.

Love these recalled stories!! This is what I'm talking about :)

I saw a clip of John Taylor burning Deion for a ~15 yard fade route TD against the Falcons in Fulton County stadium 1991.....on the left/RCB side.

Thrown by STEVEN BONO.

93 at the Silverdome. s**t was so loud you couldn't hear the person screaming next to you. 49ers run the ball to start the game then take a sack. 3rd and long Young hits Taylor on a slant over the middle and he took it to the house for 60+. Could hear a pin drop in that dome lol. Jerry added an 80 yard amazing TD in that game. 49ers won 55-17.

That Taylor TD wasn't a slant. It was a deep in he caught 20+ yards down field.

Our fans think everything was a slant for some reason. They have slant on the brain because it's the stereotypical "WCO route," even though the route existed in every team's playbook for decades before Walsh ever came around.
The best part rice's game was the ability to snatch the ball with his hands without breaking stride. He snags the ball and is gone while the defenders are still reacting. Probably got it from his bricklaying background. Plus he chased horses for fun as a kid so no fear of contact whatsoever.

They don't make em like Rice anymore.

That Taylor TD wasn't a slant. It was a deep in he caught 20 yards down field.

Our fans think everything was a slant for some reason. They have slant on the brain because it's the stereotypical "WCO route," even though the route existed in every team's playbook for decades before Walsh ever came around.

Wish we could have gotten a better angle on the broadcast to see what exactly was going on. You can see it's a trips formation with Taylor isolated. Taylor appears to run a dig and you see the inner most WR coming across. You just can't see what the other 2 WR are doing but one of them are deep enough to help block and spring Taylor. If I had to venture a guess it was this play out of a trips form

So something like this

Again, can't tell what the other WRs on trips side are doing but one of them got deep enough to block. Oh well, we will never know unless there's some all-22 1993 film floating around, but it gave me an excuse to rewatch that game.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Apr 17, 2018 at 8:13 PM ]

Dont let the door knob hit you on the way out the door now...

Snitching to mods isn't going to change the fact that the pass was a deep in and not a slant, and that a deep in and a slant look absolutely nothing alike.

You're a worthless coward of a person, and I hope you develop an inoperable tumor at the base of your spine.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
🤔
Originally posted by TriggerWarning:

Snitching to mods isn't going to change the fact that the pass was a deep in and not a slant, and that a deep in and a slant look absolutely nothing alike.

You're a worthless coward of a person, and I hope you develop an inoperable tumor at the base of your spine.

Done
Share 49ersWebzone