LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

question about working out college players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I read alot of stuff on the zone about how the niners are working out this pass rusher from such and such or this center and tackle from ucla.. ok.. I always wondered for you guys that keep better track of this stuff than me. in our recent history can you guys recall anyone we actually drafted that we actually worked out or is that all just window dressing? thank you cc
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Foster and Witherspoon last year. A lot of working out someone is about completely the scout because they couldn't see it on film or they want to meet the kid to judge is character.
Originally posted by DaBum:
Foster and Witherspoon last year. A lot of working out someone is about completely the scout because they couldn't see it on film or they want to meet the kid to judge is character.
pretty much a 1st/2nd interview.. and you don't hire all your interviewees
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
thanks guys,. appreciate it!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I was really into this for the first few years of the Baalke era. The philosophy varies from team to team as some use all or most of their pre-draft visits to team HQs on players they have concerns about and never bring in players they are truly keeping tabs on for their picks or it's the opposite and they limit their workouts and visits to only players they really want to know because they have a high probability of selecting them and rely on just film and pro-day workouts for players that fall in their laps. It really varies....

but I do recall that effectively Baalke drafted approximately 1/6 of the total list of prospects to visit or seriously be worked out or met at combine/senior bowl/EW-shrine.

I can't tell you the number from Lynch/Shanahan draft 1.
Share 49ersWebzone