There are 245 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers Free Agenncy Moves (excluding Jimmy G)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade the 49ers Free Agenncy Moves (excluding Jimmy G)

It's a B so far depending on the outcome, which I think they should fair well. They are all system guys that should produce under shany and for the most part they are 2 year contracts that we can get rid of by year 2 with what I read. Relax everyone we still probably not done and we are signing a couple of 2nd tier guys that fit our style. But I'm really expecting an all defense draft plus a hard nose RB, Jones comes to mind which we probably trade up for. LB, Edge, and CB will be drafted. So relax peeps you over pay for guys in free agency We are still in good shape
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How could you not give the 49ers and John Lynch an A.

Signing Richard Sherman and Weston Richburg is HUGE!!!

Kinda like when they signed Carlos Rogers and Jonathan Goodwin.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Preach!

I agree with all that on McKinnon.

Also, Sherman is not a slam dunk to me. Yes, he has been one of the most dominant DBs in the league. But last year before his injuries there was already talk that teams were no longer afraid to throw on him. That his status as a "shut down corner" had come to an end. That doesn't mean he wasn't still decent, but I'm concerned that already declining play plus the injury might mean we haven't solved our CB issue. I hope he goes back to playing like his old self. And I'm sure he will be a good mentor for younger players. But I think we're all being hasty in assuming we hired the a top shelf shut down corner.

Talk from who? Before he got injured he had the 2nd lowesr average yards per target of his entire career. His achilles was bothering him before it blew yet he still managed that.

I don't think anybody can say with certainty what he will or will not do when he comes back, but if people weren't afraid to throw to him last year then they weren't doing a very good job of showing it.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Meh, they key up the pass rush we key up some screens. The defense will be wore down in a different style than bruising because all of our backs is fast as hell and can gain chunk yards or take it to the house on any givin play. They gon be tired bro no worries

I think this is a change in the way we play that some will have to get use too. This is no longer a power run style offense!
I voted B. I think we still have several things to address in FA. We still need pass rush, and lb, probably more secondary depth. If we address these in FA then we will be looking at an A grade going into the draft where we can draft whoever we want. We could trade up for Barkley, we could sit at 9 and take BPA like Nelson, Chubb, Landry, Edmonds. We could trade back for more picks. One thing everyone keeps forgetting is we have 15 unsigned players from our roster last year that are FA. We still have alot of work to do to fill out the roster. let's wait and see how things pan out before we get to a final grade.
Originally posted by eavalerio:
It's a B so far depending on the outcome, which I think they should fair well. They are all system guys that should produce under shany and for the most part they are 2 year contracts that we can get rid of by year 2 with what I read. Relax everyone we still probably not done and we are signing a couple of 2nd tier guys that fit our style. But I'm really expecting an all defense draft plus a hard nose RB, Jones comes to mind which we probably trade up for. LB, Edge, and CB will be drafted. So relax peeps you over pay for guys in free agency We are still in good shape

It makes sense, they want to get younger on D. Think about it. No more Bowman, no more Dumervil, etc.. I expect D will be targeted heavily in the draft. I hope they still try to fill all our holes in FA. This would keep all options open in the draft.
I had questioned Goodwin and a few of the guys they signed last year so I'm going to have to defer to Lynch and assume "Jet" is going to surprise me and so I give the FA class so far an A-
How can you not love an o-lineman who has only given up 4 sacks in 2100 + snaps? Our guards did that per game last year.
And Sherman? Hate him or love him, the guy redefined the CB position in Seattle.
Jet? I like a little more size in RB's (thanks for that Dexter Carter) to absorb the pounding they take, but to quote Annie in Halloween, "Speed kills Jerk" We have a very fast backfield now.
The new punter? This one I give the biggest "?"
I thought Pinion had come into his own last year unless they are going to try Pinion at kicker and longer FG's. Has that ever been done? Punter becoming a FG ace?
If we had been able to score a big time pass rusher like when we picked up Chris Doleman, Kevin Green or Ricky Jackson, then I would have given A+++
I am solidly in the B minus to C plus territory. I think we did an ok job landing some guys who will improve us at center and corner. We found a scheme fit who may or may not get us more production at RB but definitely fits what we want to do a little better. We are still a mess in the pass rush department though and have issues in the red zone we did not address and I think that McKinnon was a bit of an over pay. Also after years of being slum lords I would have liked to see one big name just to establish that things have changed. I understand bargain shopping is the right way to go, but when you pay them like they aren't bargains....I would rather have went and got a premier guy that would hold down that spot for years to come at one position for some of that extra change.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I am solidly in the B minus to C plus territory. I think we did an ok job landing some guys who will improve us at center and corner. We found a scheme fit who may or may not get us more production at RB but definitely fits what we want to do a little better. We are still a mess in the pass rush department though and have issues in the red zone we did not address and I think that McKinnon was a bit of an over pay. Also after years of being slum lords I would have liked to see one big name just to establish that things have changed. I understand bargain shopping is the right way to go, but when you pay them like they aren't bargains....I would rather have went and got a premier guy that would hold down that spot for years to come at one position for some of that extra change.

+1
Wow all this hate for McKinnon, he was my top running back target in free agency!

We paid more than I thought for him, but that's what the market for Runningbacks seems to be, Hyde got massivly over paid, so did Crowell and Lewis.

Look at our base offense as it site before the draft:

Garcon
Goodwin
Kittle
Juice
McKinnon

Tell me, are we running or passing?

We have Juice for short yardage, and can easily find hard nosed back in the draft

So, I gotta give McKinnon a B- (the money hurts)

Sherman, fills a need, fits the system, pisses of Seaturd fans, costs us nothing if he sucks...gotta go B- because if he's unable to play we still have a hole at CB, and need to draft for depth

Ritchburg, stud, at a position of need, decent price tag, an A+ move

Jimmy Garapello, remember he was a free agent, A+

One issue I have with free agency so far, is that while all players fill needs, none is a sure fire cure all, and we will need to burn draft picks as insurance, so D for planning

I also think we haven't finished, there will be some bargain basement shopping to do after the draft, so here I gotta say INC.

Overall, after the first third of the offseason, I gotta go with a solid B

With room for improvement

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Wow all this hate for McKinnon, he was my top running back target in free agency!

We paid more than I thought for him, but that's what the market for Runningbacks seems to be, Hyde got massivly over paid, so did Crowell and Lewis.

Look at our base offense as it site before the draft:

Garcon
Goodwin
Kittle
Juice
McKinnon

Tell me, are we running or passing?

We have Juice for short yardage, and can easily find hard nosed back in the draft

So, I gotta give McKinnon a B- (the money hurts)

Sherman, fills a need, fits the system, pisses of Seaturd fans, costs us nothing if he sucks...gotta go B- because if he's unable to play we still have a hole at CB, and need to draft for depth

Ritchburg, stud, at a position of need, decent price tag, an A+ move

Jimmy Garapello, remember he was a free agent, A+

One issue I have with free agency so far, is that while all players fill needs, none is a sure fire cure all, and we will need to burn draft picks as insurance, so D for planning

I also think we haven't finished, there will be some bargain basement shopping to do after the draft, so here I gotta say INC.

Overall, after the first third of the offseason, I gotta go with a solid B

With room for improvement

Couple notes fyi based on contracts.

Jerick got a big roster bonus. Maybe it was because another team offered more money and the 49ers really wanted him and upped their up front money?
There's a potential out in his contract for 2019. If he's cut it's a 1 year $12m deal. If he plays well and sticks around for 3 years he'd earn $22.3m or $7.4m per year.

We can't say Hyde was overpaid yet. His contract details haven't been released.

Crowell's deal is 3 years $12m. With the break down it's $6m guaranteed but only $4m guaranteed at signing. His signing bonus is spread out over 3 years. He has a potential out in 2019. If he's cut it's a 1 year $4m deal. The only way he see's the $6m is if he's on the roster after March 2019. Only way he see's $12m is being on the roster for 3 years.

Lewis has a similar deal but his bonus money hasn't bee released yet.

For Sherman it's breaks down like this. If he's not able to play at all and spends the entire season rehabbing he makes $5m. If he starts the season on the active roster he makes $9m. If he plays all year and plays good he could make up to $12m.

Jerick is a strong fast back who can line up anywhere on the field.
Richburg can be a pro bowl C.
Sherm if healthy could really help the D.

I like the moves so far. I'd say B.
I like all 3 additions but take Jimmy G out of it and I still look at us as a 2-3 win team.

Jimmy A++++++++++++, the rest C.
i'll give it a solid B. Sherman is a polarizing signing, but could really pay off if he is ready to go. Richburg should be a signing everyone agrees with. McKinnon did get over paid, but it isn't my money and he will be a valuable asset. I think he could get 1200-1500 yard from scrimmage.

If we can get at least one veteran passrusher, maybe even re-sign doom, that'll be okay for me until the draft. Same with linebacker and a db. Re-sign reid, get mathieu, or something like that and i'll be satisfied with this offseason. With the signings, i kind of understand now what lynch meant when he said aggressively prudent.
Man, can't wait to watch Jimmy G play again.

Also am extremely intrigued in seeing CJ play in preseason. I have a feeling he will be lighting it up in preseason, build up his stock and teams will be inquiring for him next offseason. Dude was just below solid for a rookie in the most complicated system. Dude has poise.
C grade (so far)

Let's look at that transactions:
LB Mark Nzeocha - camp fodder
ER Cassius Marsh - youth replaces Dumervil
C Daniel Kilgore - initial great depth signing
T Gary Gilliam - great depth signing
WR Marquise Goodwin - steal with his extension
P Jeff Locke - camp fodder
RB Raheem Mostert and Dekoda Watson - premier ST players
CB Richard Sherman - TBD. Love the signing but it's about play on the field.
C Weston Richburg - Massive signing and central to Kyle's offense
RB Jerick McKinnon - we couldn't secure Allen Robinson so Kyle added the next best thing; a receiving RB that offers big mismatches
MIKE Brock Coyle - great depth signing

Overall, ShanaLynch have done a nice job of locking up key depth and special teams and targeting three positions of big need in CB, C and RB.

So far, they have been unable to trade for an ER, add CB depth/insurance, lock down a LB and we have two massive holes at G. Also, Ward's $8.5M is a colossal waste of big cap space. We traded Kilgore for $5.375M more cap space (over $50M still) and lost depth.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 15, 2018 at 11:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone