LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

2018 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great post, and the only thing I'd quibble about is 2nd 4round/59th overall - LT Brian O'Neill -- personally I think they will choose another LB as insurance for Reuben here.

Right? Who you got at LB there though?

Shaquem Griffin Central Florida LB. Reuben is more of a nickel weakside backer than a base linebacker in my opinion (due to his size and injury prone play and speed).

My thoughts are to get a free agent LB or low round pick (we signed Coyle and Malcom should be healed from his Peck injury) as depth and insurance for Reuben. And get Griffen to play the Hybrid safety/LB in the Nickel defense.

If Reuben clears his suspensions and starts, Griffen isn't an exact duplicate of Reuben. If Reuben gets suspended or is kicked out of the league - Griffen can play the nickel. We are in nickel 70% of the time, and will probably be in that even more this year with McKinnon and Jimmy scoring a lot.

Makes sense to me!
Shaquem Griffin Central Florida LB. Reuben is more of a nickel weakside backer than a base linebacker in my opinion (due to his size and injury prone play and speed).

My thoughts are to get a free agent LB or low round pick (we signed Coyle and Malcom should be healed from his Peck injury) as depth and insurance for Reuben. And get Griffen to play the Hybrid safety/LB in the Nickel defense.

If Reuben clears his suspensions and starts, Griffen isn't an exact duplicate of Reuben. If Reuben gets suspended or is kicked out of the league - Griffen can play the nickel. We are in nickel 70% of the time, and will probably be in that even more this year with McKinnon and Jimmy scoring a lot.

he doesn't have a left hand?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Have you seen him play?
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Have you seen him play?
Being handicapped and playing well, i got to hand to him
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Have you seen him play?
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

Have you seen him play?

Okay what's the next a round of 👏?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Laken Tomlinson vs. Aaron Donald
Joshua Garnett vs. Ndamukong Suh

Yeah.

welp, this is the post that breaks it for me. This is exactly why we better show up with not two OGs but two really excellent OGs. Otherwise these ram games are going to get ugly on our Qb. When suh started looking around I prayed he wouldn't end up just south of us. I hope this is more than Rams can pay. If not, we need those OGs bad, and we need them from 21 to 35. That is an ugly chore to fill. And ...we need two. If Nelson falls to us...outta sight . If not, Hernandez would be my next favorite, but Winn is substantially above him and no flies on him either. But the aaron Donald/suh deal is a nut cracker. yikes. I hope not.
MB thinks Trenton Brown and Jaquiski Tartt will be resigned this year (team waiting to see how Brown recovers but early reports are good) and DeForest Buckner in the off season.

[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 19, 2018 at 3:29 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Have you seen him play?

Have you seen him play?

You guys are too much!

Have you seen him play?

Yes, we do. Anyone who didn't catch the combine , this guy walks up to the 225 lb bench press, clips a device on the stump of his wrist, and then clips the "Hook" to the weight bar, and proceeds to bang out 21 reps of 225. I was amazed , impressed, and in awe of a guy who didn't let his disability deter him from what he really wants to do...play NFL. He also ran a real quick 40. If you didn't see it , it sounds ridiculous. But is true.
Re; needs, it is pretty simple: either Kyle protects JG or he doesn't.. with Talib and Marcus peters, plus darnold plus throw in suh....we better be ready for that. I don't believe Laken and Magnus can handle that. Garnett would have his hands full too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Re; needs, it is pretty simple: either Kyle protects JG or he doesn't.. with Talib and Marcus peters, plus darnold plus throw in suh....we better be ready for that. I don't believe Laken and Magnus can handle that. Garnett would have his hands full too.

A big part of protecting a QB is having a good run game. McKinnon has to be factored in as QB protection. 1. great pass protector 2. QB can hand the ball off to RB when he senses they are cheating to the pass. (I.e. slant, dogs, or blitzes) or call screens, tosses, and draws. To protect a QB, you don't always have to have Hall of Fame OLInemen across the board. A big part of pass blocking is calling the right protections and sliding the line towards the anticipated blitz (Richburg). So while I'd love to have guards that can road grade Vince Wilfork with one hand, I don't think you need that kind of talent at guard in Kyle's offense. Garnett, Magnuson and some of the other young O Linemen have the potential to work their way into the starting lineup, and in my opinion we don't need to spend a high draft pick on guards when a big part of the Jimmy protection is already in place in Trent, Staley and Richburg and McKinnon.

A big part of protecting a QB is having a good run game. McKinnon has to be factored in as QB protection. 1. great pass protector 2. QB can hand the ball off to RB when he senses they are cheating to the pass. (I.e. slant, dogs, or blitzes) or call screens, tosses, and draws. To protect a QB, you don't always have to have Hall of Fame OLInemen across the board. A big part of pass blocking is calling the right protections and sliding the line towards the anticipated blitz (Richburg). So while I'd love to have guards that can road grade Vince Wilfork with one hand, I don't think you need that kind of talent at guard in Kyle's offense. Garnett, Magnuson and some of the other young O Linemen have the potential to work their way into the starting lineup, and in my opinion we don't need to spend a high draft pick on guards when a big part of the Jimmy protection is already in place in Trent, Staley and Richburg and McKinnon.

I don't know. G's are critical to this offense for the interior pass protection, screen game and in sealing off LB/S's at the second level so those outside zone runs work. They may be the most active in this scheme physically. And as the league moves towards premier inside rushers like Aaron Donald, you see why teams are willing to pay big money towards G's now.

Magnuson absolutely has to focus on C now in case Richburg ever goes down. We lost Kilgore. So really, we have two former first rounders with minimal experience in this system at both G spots and both best suited for power. The two T's and C can help in pass protection but for the run game, they are on their own.

ShanaLynch will probably grab a few rookies and may the best men win but this first year while they develop, could be rough.

According to most reports the team thought that Tomlinson improved a lot as the season went on and I will continue to beat the drum for Magnuson until he proves me wrong. Had a Lisfranc injury in the early second quarter of his last game, which he apparently thought was a bad sprain or broken foot, and just had the trainers tape it up tight and he went back in and finished the game. How can you not love that kind of toughness, however nuts it might be. I suspect that the scouting department is working hard going through the list of guards available in the draft and the team will end up picking one or more at some point
Share 49ersWebzone