LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Our safeties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Reid seemed very motivated the latter part of the season. The last game of the season he was flying all over making plays. Let's see the Yorks' liberalism, if the pre-game protests don't make a difference he should sign. If they do make a difference, he's gone. As far as Ward goes, the injury factor is too great to keep him.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I'd offer Ward a 3 year 15 million dollar deal, with 10 million guaranteed. 5 million a season with the first 2 years guaranteed. Ward brings special value to this team, in that he can play all 3 CB spots, and FS. He basically saves us a roster spot when he's healthy.

He isn't a fit at CB in our scheme. His best fit is inside at nickle but we have K'waunn Williams there.

Do we really want to spend 5 million on a backup?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Maybe just clean house say bye to (Ward, Reid, DJ)... leaving us with Pop Tartt and the rookies (Williams, Spoon, Colbert). Keep Leon Hall for depth / veteran presence and/or go hard in free agency to shore up the secondary.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Maybe just clean house say bye to (Ward, Reid, DJ)... leaving us with Pop Tartt and the rookies (Williams, Spoon, Colbert). Keep Leon Hall for depth / veteran presence and/or go hard in free agency to shore up the secondary.

Something about Jimmy Ward, I want to re-sign/extend him, much like C. Hyde and E. Reid. We have the money, lets do it, these guys are down with the 49ers. Jimmy, try to stay healthy homie . We spent high draft picks on you guys, lets get some Lombardi's!!!
[ Edited by JimmyJesus on Jan 20, 2018 at 9:09 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimmyJesus:
I say extend J. Ward, he gets paid on a game basis for the first year, seriously

"Game basis" sounds good... tho he may not get paid very well (injury prone)
  • dj43
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Reid seemed very motivated the latter part of the season. The last game of the season he was flying all over making plays. Let's see the Yorks' liberalism, if the pre-game protests don't make a difference he should sign. If they do make a difference, he's gone. As far as Ward goes, the injury factor is too great to keep him.

Jed gave $1,000,000 to "community relations" following Kaepernick's protest.

Reid's kneeling will not have much of an influence on whether he stays or not. SF is the most liberal market in the nation. Once you move away from the coastal communities the picture changes but that won't matter to the Bay Area media.
One of the more lively posts recently, given the differences of opinion. Personally, I think it all comes down to salaries. Clearly, Ward would need to restructure or be cut. In Reid's case, the Niners should just wait it out, given that his protests will continue and that many teams just don't dig that. Hopefully, he can be resigned to a very team friendly contract.

Let us also keep in mind that neither player (Ward nor Reid), is guaranteed a starting position so that means that they would be signed for depth only. Are they worth the money it would cost to keep them for depth? That is the question. I tend to think not.

My solution to this issue is similar to what the Niners likely do for several positions....sign a mid level FA and draft a young guy with potential.

Cheers!
If you want the best 5 DBs starting, in my opinion,you'd have:

CB1- Witherspoon
CB2- FA/Draft
Slot CB: Ward
SS: Tartt
FS: Colbert
I think a healthy Ward is better than Williams, a big assumption. If injured you just plug Williams in. I think you can debate Tartt vs Reid as being even. But Reid is going to require a big new contract, someone is going to pay him. Save the money for a FA.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Jed gave $1,000,000 to "community relations" following Kaepernick's protest.

Reid's kneeling will not have much of an influence on whether he stays or not. SF is the most liberal market in the nation. Once you move away from the coastal communities the picture changes but that won't matter to the Bay Area media.

If you want to talk donations, the Tisch family in the early 80's gave 3.5 million for aids awareness to the gay community. This was a time when aids was viewed as something demonic and a curse from God. Since then they've inaugurated Hospital care specifically for aids patients. They've donated millions. That said, the Giants are one of the staunch supporters of standing for the National Anthem.
No reason to extend Ward. We have no idea what he is. I think Reid is too good to come back as a backup. I'd be fine rolling with Colbert and Tartt at safety with Ward being the backup at FS. I hope Colbert is the long term answer but I don't think he's proven that quite yet.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Must keep Reid imho. He was excellent last season and you need some veteran leaders on the team.

Ward is whatever. I wouldn't mind cutting him or bringing him back on a less expensive deal.
I'd like the 3 S look too but no way Reid goes for that. He'll go to the highest bidder who offers him a starting job where he can be the man.

It will be Tartt and Colbert with Chancellor James (maybe Don Jones/ST) to go into free agency and the draft with...my guess.

The team could try to restructure Ward to a backup rotational deal as security but with his health reasons, that's about as far as you'd want to go there.

The FO should have no issue finding depth in the veteran pool or in the draft.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 21, 2018 at 8:38 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Cut Ward and save the $8 mil, spend towards someone who's had a healthy track record at the very least.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Cut Ward and save the $8 mil, spend towards someone who's had a healthy track record at the very least.

for goodness sake. this is the truth. sorry hoovtrain
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Reid hasn't had a concussion since the 2014 season. I think he's worth keeping. He's a leader.

Yeah, I think he's shown what he can do and the leadership he exudes cannot be overlooked. He literally prevented Colbert from getting a taunting penalty, that's what this young team needs right now. It would be a mistake to let him walk, where he would probably sign with Seattle.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/11/12/16641140/adrian-colbert-with-huge-hit-eric-reid-saves-him-from-taunting-penalty
Share 49ersWebzone