LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Will we compete for a Superbowl next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will we compete for a Superbowl next year?

• fan49
  • Veteran
if we can fix the o line, get a corner and a rusher, i see no issue doing that. reid needs to come back, and hyde or a fa back not a 3rd rounder. it is very doable. games are one in the trenches, with jimmy if we have a top 10 o line offense will be fine. And with the d only 2 major holes, we can win up front though with one pass rusher.
Not making any predictions until after FA and the draft.

Because we know my prediction of 6-10 last year came true so I will predict correctly again this coming year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Not making any predictions until after FA and the draft.

Because we know my prediction of 6-10 last year came true so I will predict correctly again this coming year.

After we (my prediction) kill it in Free Agency and nail it in the draft, I also predict that you will predict 19-0 as well
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Wayyyy too early to ask this. Is it possible? Yes. That in and of itself is a massive win. Whether we do depends on whether we use this cap space well and/or have a another good draft. If we shore up our weaknesses we'll win 10+. If we have a roster only slightly better than the end of the season we are a 8-10 win, wildcard possible team. It's impossible to know right now. This poll should be asked in a few months.
Every 49er fan thinks we have a shot for the SB next year. Realistically, free agency and the draft will tell the story.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Yes, look at the teams who are in the Final Four this year.

If the Vikings, Eagles and Jags can compete for a SB this year, the 49ers can next year.

Well, it is worth noting that only one of the 4 teams left have a stud QB. The other teams are all in the top 4 on defensive rankings.

If anything, this season is showing that great defense does give you a better chance of getting to the bowl.

Fair point, good thing the 49ers have a stud QB and a rising defense!
See, this is the fun question about our team... How good are we? It's tough to tell because we had a small sample size. Since Jimmy G took over, our offense become immensely more productive. In turn, the defense was a lot more efficient because it seemed like winning the Time of Possession battles got them a little more rest. We won 5 games straight at the end of the year, and a couple of them were playoff teams. I'm very confident we'll be on the right side of .500. But does that mean we'll be a 14-2 powerhouse with few flaws? Does it mean we'll be a 11-5 team that has a clear advantage over most teams but has one or two glaring flaws? Or does it mean we'll be an 8-8, 9-7 team that's good overall, but still has a lot of holes?

When I look at our team, I see a potential franchise-level quarterback and an outstanding scheme. I see okay skill position players on offense, but no world-beating #1 target in the passing game or running game. I see an inconsistent offensive line. On defense, I see young talent across the interior front seven and safety positions. I see a huge liability in that we don't have a dominant pass-rusher or anything close to a lockdown corner.

I think that as it stands now, if we made no changes, we'd be an 8-8 or 9-7 team fighting for a wild card. Our offense was hugely successful, but I wonder if teams will have enough tape to build more effective gamelans against JG. I wonder if our offensive line can protect JG over 16 games. I wonder what happens to Garappolo if he has games where his gunslinging style gets him in trouble with multiple picks in the first half. I wonder if the fact that are skill position players that are just "okay" can compete if they end up with matches that they're outmatched (Example: Anquan Boldin/Michael Crabtree couldn't compete against the Legion of Boom a few years ago). These are things we don't know yet on offense. On defense, we don't have a consistent pass rush, and our cornerbacks are suspect. How will we compete against teams with true #1 receivers or they have a quality passing attack?

It all depends on what happens in free agency and the draft. JL/KS won't be afraid to go after guys we want, but I think they'll exercise restraint also. If we find a pass-rusher, a couple quality cornerbacks, and we get a pretty solid offensive weapon at WR or RB... I'm very sure we compete with the Rams for winning our division and winning 10+ games.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
The real question: Where will the SB parade be held, Santa Clara or SF?

Good question. Midway? Palo Alto?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Depending on our offseason, but if we make a few key moves Ill personally have SB expectations. Thats what we're supposed to be doing right?
[ Edited by Antix on Jan 17, 2018 at 6:01 PM ]

Originally posted by Sourball:

Stockton?
Originally posted by 4912:

Stockton?

Seattle
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 4912:

Stockton?

Seattle

I concur

If we ace this year's FA and draft. We will win the SB at least 2 times within the next 4 years.
I just looked at the 49ers 1984 and 1988 rosters for those Super Bowl seasons.
Just not seeing how we're very close to that at the present time, especially on the O line, secondary and WR. Probably LB too , if I'm being honest.
But that's the fun in it. They play the game week to week and build.
Go Niners
Share 49ersWebzone