LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Niners-Saints trade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Weird to think that when we traded the Saints our 3rd pick in the 2017 draft, they took Kamara with it. We got back their 7th round pick that year, which we drafted Colbert, and we get their 2nd round pick this year as well. Kamara sure tore it up for them, but Colbert looks like a steal for us, and now hopefully the extra 2nd round pick will turn into something useful going forward. I hope we draft a solid interior o-lineman with that pick, assuming one worthy of that draft status is there.
Hope so
We definitely made out

Win-Win situation
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Kamara makes significant plays at will.
They win on this.
Neither team lost on this trade. I doubt either side regrets it.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

Nope,not at all.. especially when Colbert woulda been well worth it if we took him at the spot.

Watch their 2nd rounder end up being a starter as well.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Nope,not at all.. especially when Colbert woulda been well worth it if we took him at the spot.

Wait, what?
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Wait, what?

Their 2nd rounder that we own, watch that pick end up being a starter.
I posted this in the Jimmy G thread. Going to post it again here because it's relevant:

I hate how people demand that there has to be a "winner" and a "loser" in every trade. Trades are not games. They're conscious efforts made and agreed upon by both teams to make their own situations better than what they currently are.

There can easily be two "winners" or two "losers" in a trade. The priority isn't to make the other team worse, it's only to make yourself better.
  • thl408
At the time the trade was made, I was thinking it'd be for a 10th-15th pick in round 2. Instead, NO's picks will be around 27th of each round in this draft. 49ers traded the 3rd pick of the 3rd round (AKamara; this was a pick received from the CHI trade). So about a 7-9 draft slots gained + The Punisher.

I'm buying his jersey!
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:
At the time the trade was made, I was thinking it'd be for a 10th-15th pick in round 2. Instead, NO's picks will be around 27th of each round in this draft. 49ers traded the 3rd pick of the 3rd round (AKamara; this was a pick received from the CHI trade). So about a 7-9 draft slots gained + The Punisher.

Loved seeing Reid get in the kids face just as he is about to get flagged for taunting. Some folks don't like Reid but stuff like this is why he is worth keeping around.
For draft value it's clear we lost this trade as you'd typically expect a discount of about a full round (25-30 slots) when trading a pick for a future pick, not 6/7. We likely pegged the Saints to hit their wall/rebuild this year and suspected that pick to be in the top 10 of round 2 which if it fell that way would've been a solid move.

With that said, I still think this trade was a win for the 49ers simply because we landed Colbert with that 7th and should easily land a quality starter with that 2nd so effectively, assuming we don't totally f**k up that pick, we will get two young quality starters for a 3rd round pick. It's clear we had no intent of drafting Kamara so he wasn't really an opportunity cost of trading the pick as our board was concerned.
We missed on Kamara. Thats about it.

It happens.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Wait, what?

Their 2nd rounder that we own, watch that pick end up being a starter.

Yup, and I said it in another thread, but I am fairly certain we'll be looking to trade on day 2 (assuming we stay put day 1).

I just don't see us sitting back and waiting for our turn in round 2. Not when we have 3 picks in the space of 15 or so players.

I don't think the motto will be, lets wait and see who's available and then we'll get 3 picks close together and get the best that's in those spots.

If there's someone we like in the early second I would bet we'll be trying hard to go after them with the knowledge that we still have a spare 3.
Share 49ersWebzone