There are 179 users in the forums

What Is The 49er's Absolute Biggest Need Going Into 2018 Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Is The 49er's Absolute Biggest Need Going Into 2018 Season?

Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by NinerLegionnaire:
Originally posted by thl408:
What you guys don't understand is Jimmy will get killed if he has to consistently throw the ball to keep us in games because we can't stop people from scoring.

Our pass rush was by far our biggest weakness last season. We struggled to bring pressure with only 4 guys against some of the very worst offensive lines in football.

Fix the pass rush and Jimmy won't have to be put at risk throwing the ball 40 times a game.

KS has shown he can hide the weaknesses of a less than stellar offensive line, but there is no way you can hide a weak pass rush. You start blitzing and become predictable and teams will exploit it quickly.

No pass rush, no playoffs.
It's possible to think that edge rusher is the improvement that will impact the team the greatest, but OL is the more urgent need to address.

Bad pass rush, the defense has a hard time defending. That's bad.

Bad interior OL puts Jimmy at risk to more hits and increases the chance of injury. Even when he was showing off his quick release, he was getting smacked. Like you mentioned, the number of times Jimmy drops back to pass matters, a defense helps that. But even if he's dropping back 25-30 times, those are a dangerous 25 times with a bad OL.

Plus better o-line leads to more consistent running game, which takes pressure off of the passing game, fewer dropbacks for Jimmy to get hit.

I think too many people in this thread are ignoring defense because they want to protect Jimmy at all cost. Last I checked we have a pretty damn good tandem at tackle who can accomplish that. The interior of our offensive line might need upgrading, but it's not as pathetic as our pass rush and shouldn't be the #1 priority.

The last thing I want this team to become is the New Orleans Saints prior to this season where their offense was excellent and yet they stunk because their defense was historically bad. Hell, Green Bay is another team with a HOF QB, yet they haven't made much much noise in recent years because they can't stop anyone.

I don't care how good the rest of our team becomes because none of it will matter if we can't get the other teams offense off the field on 3rd downs.

Elite o-line+ jimmy g = points

Points= other team becomes one dimensional

Elite Oline= time of possession

Time of possession= rested defense

Oh yeah... and it means Franchise QB stays alive

Great passursher would be amazing, every one agrees with you,.... but Charles Haley does nothing with out Joe Montana
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by NinerLegionnaire:
Originally posted by thl408:
What you guys don't understand is Jimmy will get killed if he has to consistently throw the ball to keep us in games because we can't stop people from scoring.

Our pass rush was by far our biggest weakness last season. We struggled to bring pressure with only 4 guys against some of the very worst offensive lines in football.

Fix the pass rush and Jimmy won't have to be put at risk throwing the ball 40 times a game.

KS has shown he can hide the weaknesses of a less than stellar offensive line, but there is no way you can hide a weak pass rush. You start blitzing and become predictable and teams will exploit it quickly.

No pass rush, no playoffs.
It's possible to think that edge rusher is the improvement that will impact the team the greatest, but OL is the more urgent need to address.

Bad pass rush, the defense has a hard time defending. That's bad.

Bad interior OL puts Jimmy at risk to more hits and increases the chance of injury. Even when he was showing off his quick release, he was getting smacked. Like you mentioned, the number of times Jimmy drops back to pass matters, a defense helps that. But even if he's dropping back 25-30 times, those are a dangerous 25 times with a bad OL.

Plus better o-line leads to more consistent running game, which takes pressure off of the passing game, fewer dropbacks for Jimmy to get hit.

I think too many people in this thread are ignoring defense because they want to protect Jimmy at all cost. Last I checked we have a pretty damn good tandem at tackle who can accomplish that. The interior of our offensive line might need upgrading, but it's not as pathetic as our pass rush and shouldn't be the #1 priority.

The last thing I want this team to become is the New Orleans Saints prior to this season where their offense was excellent and yet they stunk because their defense was historically bad. Hell, Green Bay is another team with a HOF QB, yet they haven't made much much noise in recent years because they can't stop anyone.

I don't care how good the rest of our team becomes because none of it will matter if we can't get the other teams offense off the field on 3rd downs.

Elite o-line+ jimmy g = points

Points= other team becomes one dimensional

Elite Oline= time of possession

Time of possession= rested defense

Oh yeah... and it means Franchise QB stays alive

Great passursher would be amazing, every one agrees with you,.... but Charles Haley does nothing with out Joe Montana

You need to be able to get off the field on 3rd down to win TOP. That's hard to do without a pass rush.

I believe this team will be in the top 10 in scoring next season no matter what. Just the familiarity the players will have in the offense will make us more potent, but if we truly want to contend for a playoff spot, we need to be able to generate a pass rush without blitzing because we don't have the corners to pull that off successfully yet. Good QB's usually murder blitzing teams anyway and I rather stay away from that strategy outside of throwing a curveball at offenses every once in awhile. The best defenses can bring pressure with just their front 4 and having a good defense will take a ton of pressure off Jimmy.

I think people are overreacting when it comes to our offensive line. Heck, at one point I did it too.The second Jimmy stepped in there the line looked way better in pass protection. They still aren't the best run blockers, but Jimmy wasn't taking huge hits or had zero time to throw. If we go into next season with Staley/Free agent-Draft pick/Kilgore/Garnett/Brown I'd be cool with that. I definitely don't think we need 3 new starters on the interior. That's going way overboard.
I will lose my mind if we draft a WR or CB with the first pick. I look at both of those choices as luxury items. Much like a great receiver who is almost worthless without a decent QB, so is a CB without a pass rush. Oddly, both positions are high profile and command big money if they are very good, which I don't understand.

I guess I'm bias because the last decade we've had elite defenses without an elite CB.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM ]
Unless something happens to all of the other receivers currently on the roster I don't think there is anyway they draft one in the first round. A growing number of mocks have them taking that kid Ward out of Ohio State. I would have no issue with a CB at one since the defense seemed to be consistently victimized in the passing game this year. An edge rusher would be my second choice if they were sure it was a guy whose game would translate to the NFL. A lineman would be my third choice since I am pretty high on Magnuson. Bill Walsh famously said that "you can scheme offense but you need talent on defense" Assuming Garcon comes back healthy you would have him, Goodwin, Kittle, Taylor, Celek, Bourne, and possibly Boldin and Murphy. They have proven they can win with those guys and as one NFL analyst said, historically, it has been proven that elite receivers don't get you to the Super Bowl. Elite defenses do.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Unless something happens to all of the other receivers currently on the roster I don't think there is anyway they draft one in the first round. A growing number of mocks have them taking that kid Ward out of Ohio State. I would have no issue with a CB at one since the defense seemed to be consistently victimized in the passing game this year. An edge rusher would be my second choice if they were sure it was a guy whose game would translate to the NFL. A lineman would be my third choice since I am pretty high on Magnuson. Bill Walsh famously said that "you can scheme offense but you need talent on defense" Assuming Garcon comes back healthy you would have him, Goodwin, Kittle, Taylor, Celek, Bourne, and possibly Boldin and Murphy. They have proven they can win with those guys and as one NFL analyst said, historically, it has been proven that elite receivers don't get you to the Super Bowl. Elite defenses do.

If I was a GM, I'd probably only spend top tier money on QB, Pass Rusher, LT/RT and maybe safety. Other than that, I'm not breaking the bank unless the player is a HOFer at their respective position.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 18, 2018 at 2:02 PM ]
Sadly with 3 straight #1's going to the defensive line to improve our pass rush,we netted just 1 true impact player. Buckner ! Armstead and Thomas have yet to be an impact as of yet. Which brings me to the thought that the 49ers need to find the best pass rusher in free agency and sign him. He won't be Charles Haley but we need someone to get after the quarterback. In a perfect world I'd love to see us sign Jareveon Clowney. But I know,the world ain't perfect..
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I will lose my mind if we draft a WR or CB with the first pick. I look at both of those choices as luxury items. Much like a great receiver who is almost worthless without a decent QB, so is a CB without a pass rush. Oddly, both positions are high profile and command big money if they are very good, which I don't understand.

I guess I'm bias because the last decade we've had elite defenses without an elite CB.

Nailed it
I would FREAK if we signed Norwell and drafted Nelson ....DAMN , our play sheet would be Huge and filled with a variety of attacks , sets from the WCO, "Coryell & Zampese offense" , even creative shotgun plays with our base offense with the "Erhardt Perkins system" ....Kyle would be a mad scientist every night, drawing up plays for us to drop 40+ points per game
moar cap space.

#questfortwohundredmillion
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Oline, oline, oline and oline. Got to protect the franchise.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 26, 2018 at 1:10 AM ]

Originally posted by mayo49:
Oline, oline, oline and oline. Got to protect the franchise.

Hoyer got hit like a red headed step-child, C.J. got hit like he just got caught pissing in the town's water source, and Jimmy G got off easy, which means he still got his ass kicked, but his quick release was his only savior. GET THE FQB SOME PROTECTION, PLEASE!!!
There should be an extra category for "edge rusher" not just D-line. Edge rusher changes our whole team IMO. Get heeeeem
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
There should be an extra category for "edge rusher" not just D-line. Edge rusher changes our whole team IMO. Get heeeeem
Do you think edge rusher is a bigger need than interior OL? I think improving edge rusher would impact the team the greatest since an upgrade there would improve the defense big time, but at the same time, I think improving the OL should be the priority #1 because they have to protect their soon-to-be 100 million dollar investment. Also, get the stretch runs going so Kyle can really get into his playbook.
You forgot new ownership.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If I was a GM, I'd probably only spend top tier money on QB, Pass Rusher, LT/RT and maybe safety. Other than that, I'm not breaking the bank unless the player is a HOFer at their respective position.

you mean corner....
Share 49ersWebzone