LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

What Is The 49er's Absolute Biggest Need Going Into 2018 Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Is The 49er's Absolute Biggest Need Going Into 2018 Season?

More specifically than Dline I would say pass rusher.
I think o-line and edge rusher are both equally important.
The difference is between FA and the draft ( not first pick ) we should be able to shore up the line pretty easily.
If we can't find/get one with the first pick or don't get one in FA which I'm not sure there are great options there we may not get one and we really need pressure of the edge to take the Defense to the next level.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Edge rusher and it's not even close.

Jimmy and KS will put up points against anyone. Jimmy has also shown that he can get the ball out quick and avoid the big hits. Can our OL use an upgrade at LG/RG? Sure, but if we truly want to compete we have to fix our inept pass rush. We can't have the TJ Yates of the league sitting all day in the pocket and dissecting your defense on 3rd down because you can't bring pressure without blitzing.

yup
Originally posted by English:
O line. Before Garoppolo starts following in Luck's footsteps. I know Jimmy gets the ball out quickly but that doesnt stop the late hits, the cheap shots and the cumulative effects of being knocked down by 300 pound linemen. He was able to handle it last season but he did get quite knocked around. I dont want to see us screwing up at franchise qb like the Colts have.

Agree. It's a ripple effect. Poor OL leads to Kyle game planning to compensate, changing up his in-game play calling, JG trying to get the ball out as quickly as possible, etc. and then analysts start noting JG's footwork as an area he needs to improve, deep balls/game suffer, Hyde isn't worth resigning, etc. on and on and on.

Upgrade the OL and EVERYTHING on offense changes for the better.

Imagine Kyle with a wide open playbook, fearless in-game play calling, JG with time to allow the deeper route to open up, progressions to 4th and 5th options, Hyde not having to dodge 3 defenders in the backfield, nothing but 2nd and 3rd and shorts, RZ success, etc.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Edge rusher and it's not even close.

Jimmy and KS will put up points against anyone. Jimmy has also shown that he can get the ball out quick and avoid the big hits. Can our OL use an upgrade at LG/RG? Sure, but if we truly want to compete we have to fix our inept pass rush. We can't have the TJ Yates of the league sitting all day in the pocket and dissecting your defense on 3rd down because you can't bring pressure without blitzing.

49er's are tied for 26th in team sacks with 30.
25th in points allowed per game.
Gotta believe you are the winner.
Good offense without a good defense will not win playoff games or division titles.
In order:

1. Oline - as others mentioned in particular to enable a top 10 rushing attack. Biggest single thing this team can do to become a top contender.
2. Elite ER
3. Top tier Corner opposite AW
4. True #1 WR

Of course we can always improve in other areas - another game changing RB and LB top the list - but those are easily top 4 in order IMHO.
Originally posted by Oilcan:
I think o-line and edge rusher are both equally important.
The difference is between FA and the draft ( not first pick ) we should be able to shore up the line pretty easily.
If we can't find/get one with the first pick or don't get one in FA which I'm not sure there are great options there we may not get one and we really need pressure of the edge to take the Defense to the next level.

IMO they were equally important until Jimmy G, now the priority is keeping him upright.

You are right that a proper edge rusher would make a huge difference, and also that it's easier to fix the line than it is to find a stud pass rusher.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
More specifically than Dline I would say pass rusher.

1.O-Line
2.O-Line
3.Pass Rush (Leo and/or Sam)
4.WR
5.CB
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
In order:

1. Oline - as others mentioned in particular to enable a top 10 rushing attack. Biggest single thing this team can do to become a top contender.
2. Elite ER
3. Top tier Corner opposite AW
4. True #1 WR

Of course we can always improve in other areas - another game changing RB and LB top the list - but those are easily top 4 in order IMHO.

UFA's also something that should be considered

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/san-francisco-49ers/

Which if any of these UFA's are a must sign for you guys? Aside from the JG no brainer.
[ Edited by tavian on Jan 12, 2018 at 8:20 AM ]

if we draft another D-lineman in the 1st round I think I will lose my mind
Pass Rush and OLine.

They go hand in hand. Can't be a great team without either.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
if we draft another D-lineman in the 1st round I think I will lose my mind

Wow.didn't realize you guys had taken a DE first in the last three drafts.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
O line. Before Garoppolo starts following in Luck's footsteps. I know Jimmy gets the ball out quickly but that doesnt stop the late hits, the cheap shots and the cumulative effects of being knocked down by 300 pound linemen. He was able to handle it last season but he did get quite knocked around. I dont want to see us screwing up at franchise qb like the Colts have.

This. We need to limit the hits Jimmy takes, he is the franchise.

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

This. We need to limit the hits Jimmy takes, he is the franchise.

Spend some serious money on drafting and bring in offencive linemen. This is no joke.... it's not a get cheap on a player fill in. We get a good O line we get a running game and a power house offence

If I could have Shanahan and Lynch read any post from the zone, it would be yours! So very accurate.
Share 49ersWebzone