LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

How to build around a franchise QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How to build around a franchise QB

Originally posted by Niners99:
Great QB's elevate offenses. The Patriots and Colts used a lot of scrubs on offense over the years, and Brady/Manning made them look like an elite offense.

You build a great D and then let your QB run the show and only have to score 16-24 pts per game to win.

This but keep a good LT
Originally posted by thl408:
Let's armchair GM. Assuming Jimmy is that guy, what is your preferred method for building around a franchise QB? The easy answer is, "do both", but if you had to choose one side to lean towards, do you prefer the team be built with offense in mind, or defense? This isn't about what to do this coming offseason. This is a long term, general team building question.

Given the offensive numbers after Jimmy came in, I don't know how much the receivers and tight ends will be upgraded, particularly when Garcon is coming back next year. But the run game needs to be improved and that means better interior o-linemen and a RB that fits the system. I don't think all three spots will be upgraded, Fusco or Tomlinson will start, but I think Kilgore needs to be replaced, possibly with a free agent center and then the draft will take care of the other guard spot. I don't think I want to see only Breida and Joe Williams on the depth chart this upcoming season. I can see a third round prospect supplementing right there, but I'd still be a little worried about the RB position. Of course, the difference Terrell Davis made in that Broncos offense 20 years ago probably isn't lost on Shanahan, so I could see a guy like Sony Michel being selected in the 2nd round if he's still available.

As for defense, I think you've got to follow the Giants 07 and 11 formula or the Packers 2010 with Clay Matthews. Load up on the pass rush, that's what creates turnovers. I view the Seattle 13 defense as something more difficult to pull off, both with lucking out on mid to late draft picks (Sherman and Chancelor) and the fact the league stopped allowing Seattle to hold and interfere on every play. Don't be surprised if our first round pick goes to a guy like Marcus Davenport and/or the Niners try to get Ezekiel Ansah on something like a three year contract (hopefully not longer than that). I think CBs can be round in rounds 2-4.
Offense of course

Look how bad we looked when we had a bunch of 3 & outs earlier in the year compared to what we looked like after Jimmy arrived. By keeping the Defense on the sidelines periods at a time helped them be fresh and attack what ever offense was on the field.

Build the offense and the Defense will eventually come around.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Step 1, copy the Patriots.

Makes sense. Robert Kraft studied the crap out of the 49ers, even following them around the country for a few months and Bill Walsh was a huge influence on Belichick. Pete Carroll also applied the principles he learned during his time with the 49ers in Seattle.

Seems everyone has been applying the '49ers Way' except for the 49ers.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Offense of course

Look how bad we looked when we had a bunch of 3 & outs earlier in the year compared to what we looked like after Jimmy arrived. By keeping the Defense on the sidelines periods at a time helped them be fresh and attack what ever offense was on the field.

Build the offense and the Defense will eventually come around.

That was the old New Orleans Saints approach. They won one SB with a turnover happy defense one year and then were mostly a big disappointment the rest of the time.
Unfair poll question as both investments are needed.
Great QB's elevate offenses. The Patriots and Colts used a lot of scrubs on offense over the years, and Brady/Manning made them look like an elite offense.

You build a great D and then let your QB run the show and only have to score 16-24 pts per game to win.

Wut.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Makes sense. Robert Kraft studied the crap out of the 49ers, even following them around the country for a few months and Bill Walsh was a huge influence on Belichick. Pete Carroll also applied the principles he learned during his time with the 49ers in Seattle.

Seems everyone has been applying the '49ers Way' except for the 49ers.

The Pats have the 31st ranked defense this year. Their defense routinely looks terrible starting out the year when everyone they play stays healthy. Belichick is able to scheme enough late in the season and into the postseason to win big games. The Pats first three SBs came with an adequate offense and a really good defense. Their next two + two near misses came with great offenses and average (at best) defenses. The Pats are really close to 7 SBs and equally close to only winning 2 SBs.

The one constant this whole time was keeping Brady healthy -- except for the year when Pollard went for his knee. Their offensive line play has been routinely stellar. Their o-line play and Belichick's defensive genius in big games is what divides them from the Packers and Saints (although the Saints have had decent o-line play for years). Peyton Manning provides a different counter-example. His o-line always looked okay and his defenses were usually opportunistic enough for him to have won more championships (I don't count his last SB as something that he had a huge role in pulling off), he just frequently played like garbage in big games, particularly against the Pats.

All but one of Brady's super bowl wins have been when he has had a legit 1000+ yard RB. What's even more telling is that almost every year he has been knocked out of the playoffs is when he hasn't had a 1000+ yard back.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 9, 2018 at 11:35 AM ]
Mike Lombardi was 95.7 a few months ago, and a similar conversation came up. He worked under Bill Walsh as scout 1984-1987 and said that Walsh believed that the offensive skill positions should be invested in only after the OL and defense were built.

Do that.

I agree that keeping Jimmy healthy and happy is the key.

Staley just said he only has a year or two left in the tank, we need OL help NOW.

Sadly all positions need upgrades or future starters.

LT- Staleys heir
LG- Starter
C- Kilgore re sign to friendly deal only draft late round center and pray
RG- Garnett- do or die season
RT Tren Brown- ??? will he get in shape??

2 out of the top 4 picks need to be on OL in upcoming draft.
Defense + running game.
I would say the most important piece to add on defense is that of an edge rusher -- not a DB. Why? Because good edge rushers can cover up for lousy DB play. On offense? The old commercials for Wendy's Hamburger chain put it best: WHERE'S THE BEEF? It's all about beefy bodies on the offensive line.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Mike Lombardi was 95.7 a few months ago, and a similar conversation came up. He worked under Bill Walsh as scout 1984-1987 and said that Walsh believed that the offensive skill positions should be invested in only after the OL and defense were built.

Do that.

I agree with this. In the early days the 49ers had a great OL and defense. Jerry Rice didnt come along until they'd already won two SBs.

Protect the QB. Protect the lead. Win football games.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not suggesting spend draft capital and cap on one side of the ball, then skimp on the other. We all want both sides to be at least adequate. But which side of the ball do you want to focus more on to build up to an elite level.

With that in mind, I'm saying defense. Let the Packers be a model for what happens to a team when they have a great quarterback but an average or less defense. Their good enough to compete but rarely win championships.

Only twice has Green Bay had a top ten defense under Aaron Rodgers' reign. The first was 2009 when they lost that wild playoff game with Arizona where the defense didn't show up to play and gave up over 50 points and the next was 2010 when they won the super bowl.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone