There are 338 users in the forums

How to build around a franchise QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How to build around a franchise QB

• thl408
Let's armchair GM. Assuming Jimmy is that guy, what is your preferred method for building around a franchise QB? The easy answer is, "do both", but if you had to choose one side to lean towards, do you prefer the team be built with offense in mind, or defense? This isn't about what to do this coming offseason. This is a long term, general team building question.
It is always about the defense and run-game. You want the talent on offense to be there when you need to strike the hammer down and get separation in the score. Ideal goal for an efficient offense is to get up by 2 scores (10+ points) and shorten the game with ball control to help your Defense along with making it easy for your defense in forcing the opponent to be playing from behind.

I don't think NE has won a championship with having a RB who couldn't play a large part. RB is key to helping a QB run an efficient offense.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 9, 2018 at 10:48 AM ]
I opt w/protecting the QB.

If we lose him then it's over.

If the Oline can't protect or run block - WTF!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I opt w/protecting the QB.

If we lose him then it's over.

If the Oline can't protect or run block - WTF!

This. While Jimmy can cover up sack numbers by getting the ball out I'd rather him not get his ass beat in the process. Sometimes the hits are what gets QBs injured since they may not be expecting it. When they get sacked a lot of times they see it coming and can brace themselves for impact.

Fix the OL is the priority and add a pass rusher on defense. Jimmy can go to work with a much better OL and the talent we have on offense now, especially with Garcon coming back.

Jimmy doesn't need to be coddled so much that he needs all pros at every position to throw to(though it would be nice)
Step 1. Look at what the Colts did with Andrew Luck.

Step 2. Look at what the Saints and Packers did on defense with Brees and Rodgers for most of their careers.

Step 3. Don't do that.

I'm not in the camp that believes that you NEED a legit #1 WR. I think a QB like Garoppolo with some quality targets can pick a defense apart given the time.

What he really does need:

A. Consistent pass blocking

B. A solid run game

C. Aggressive defense that can force turnovers and increase scoring opportunities.

I think if it comes down to talent allocation then you need some legit stud players on defense while getting by with lesser, more easily replaceable players on offense outside of a few key linemen.
I think you need to stay balanced, however once the glaring holes have been filled, I'd like to see us build a top defence as I believe Kyle can scheme up and Jimmy execute a lot of yards and points without top talent.
  • thl408
I'm not suggesting spend draft capital and cap on one side of the ball, then skimp on the other. We all want both sides to be at least adequate. But which side of the ball do you want to focus more on to build up to an elite level.
Dan Marino never had a run game.
Elway never won until he had a run game.
90's DAL dominated with a run game and very accurate QB.
SF never won anything without talent at the RB position.

Most important position on offense to support a QB is a RB. This is aside from the obvious offensive line.
Leave him exposed with a terrible line. Don't worry too much about drafting, after all, you have done your job getting Luck/Rodgers. Why worry about anyone else?
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not suggesting spend draft capital and cap on one side of the ball, then skimp on the other. We all want both sides to be at least adequate. But which side of the ball do you want to focus more on to build up to an elite level.

Tough question. I'd say get an elite defense in place in a sense that overall we need better talent on defense to get elite level of play out there.

We don't need elite playmakers all over the offense to score points with Jimmy and Kyle.
[ Edited by genus49 on Jan 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM ]

Step 1, copy the Patriots.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Build the Oline and get a better redzone target big WR or TE. We've already invested a lot draft capital in the Dline without much results, we need 2 CBs, and an edge rusher.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I think you need to stay balanced, however once the glaring holes have been filled, I'd like to see us build a top defence as I believe Kyle can scheme up and Jimmy execute a lot of yards and points without top talent.

This is me. Relieve pressure off of the offense to put up 28+ points every game. Take advantage of Jimmy/Kyle to elevate the performance of middling receiving talent. A very good defense can provide a couple defensive turnovers and good field position to work with each game. Sure there will be more field goals than touchdowns on offense due to lacking top tier skill positions, but I feel a good defense travels better brings more balance. We saw how well Jimmy and Kyle can make Goodwin/Celek look. Compliment that with a suffocating defense. Drew Brees the past couple seasons is an example of great QBing with shoddy defense.
Originally posted by thl408:
Let's armchair GM. Assuming Jimmy is that guy, what is your preferred method for building around a franchise QB? The easy answer is, "do both", but if you had to choose one side to lean towards, do you prefer the team be built with offense in mind, or defense? This isn't about what to do this coming offseason. This is a long term, general team building question.

Glad you narrowed it down to Jimmy

So talking about all other mofos around the NFL don't count.

For Jimmy, I would go defense. He has proved he can function with average talent on offense around him. Do we need to put up the stats in his 5 games to proved that. So you load up on defense as best you can to keep the other team under 20 pts a game.

Long term would be again defense and protection for Jimmy. The Pats proved that formula for success with Brady.
Great QB's elevate offenses. The Patriots and Colts used a lot of scrubs on offense over the years, and Brady/Manning made them look like an elite offense.

You build a great D and then let your QB run the show and only have to score 16-24 pts per game to win.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 9, 2018 at 11:13 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone