LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

How about that 2017 rookie class?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Looks like the makings of a really, really good class. On a team this bereft of talent nailing a bluechip prospect and a bunch of solid starters is really a dream scenario.

Gonna do a + and - for each guy for his first year, just for fun

Solomon Thomas: + Great Hustle Player / - Lack of push and pressure in pass rush
Reuben Foster: + Vicious hitter and great in run support / - Gets washed out and always banged up
Ahkello Witherspoon: + Great some plays and surprisingly competent tackler / + Gets beat deep sometimes, which ain't good for this scheme
C.J. Beathard: + Takes a hit really well / - Holds the ball too long, and doesn't throw a football very well
Joe Williams: + N/A / - Showed up out of shape with fumbleitis and study problems.
George Kittle: + Great athleticism / - Not yet the blocker he was advertised as
Trent Taylor: + Chain mover from the slot / - Occasional dropsies, and phantom penalty magnet
D.J. Jones: + Held POA well in limited snaps early / Off the 46 in the back half of the year
Pita Taumoepenu: + Is fast or something / - I guess is fast or something
Adrian Colbert: + Heat seeker in run support and a dart from middle thirds in coverage / - small sample size, gets nicked up, and doesn't wrap up
Victor Bolden: + Some returns sparks in pre-season / - was a waste of roster spot in the regular season
Kendrick Bourne: + Was open more than his stats show / - Never fully beat out Louis Murphy despite Murphy's ineffective and bonehead play
Matt Breida: Great quicks and good scheme fit / Doesn't do much beyond first contact

PJ, well done. Very fair.
  • bvc49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
One of the best in Niner lore.

Not sure if anyone else had as good a draft this year?

We got mega production from this class.

Bruh. See the Saints draft. They got 2 stars and a pro bowl center. Best draft by far.

They got 3 in PFF's top 5, and 4 in their top 10. So far that was an absolute monster of a draft for 'em.

Hard to make a straight comparison between the Saints and the Niners because of the Saints having a pro-bowl QB the entire season. As soon as Jimmy arrived, everybody 's production went up. even the hot dogs got better. These kind of off season comparisons mean nothing to me but i believe if Jimoney was here for the full season, I think we get some crazy sick numbers from our rooks
[ Edited by bvc49 on Jan 7, 2018 at 6:51 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
I like that we actually had a draft not filled with projects, depth players and injury cases.

For giggles the other day I was checking out how Kittle did this season vs McDonald... 43 catches for 515 yards vs 14 catches for 188.

Wow! Nice!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by contrarios:
Great draft! Six starters or solid contributors - Thomas, Foster, Witherspoon, Taylor, Kittle, Colbert, maybe more depending on how the rest of the class develops.

I was tired of Baalke's drafts where we would get a couple of players who couldn't get off the bench and a couple of players on IR. Remember Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas?

Yep, absolutely Horrible. AJ Jenkins level horrible.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bvc49:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
One of the best in Niner lore.

Not sure if anyone else had as good a draft this year?

We got mega production from this class.

Bruh. See the Saints draft. They got 2 stars and a pro bowl center. Best draft by far.

They got 3 in PFF's top 5, and 4 in their top 10. So far that was an absolute monster of a draft for 'em.

Hard to make a straight comparison between the Saints and the Niners because of the Saints having a pro-bowl QB the entire season. As soon as Jimmy arrived, everybody 's production went up. even the hot dogs got better. These kind of off season comparisons mean nothing to me but i believe if Jimoney was here for the full season, I think we get some crazy sick numbers from our rooks

If they can do half as well this next year and we have Jimmy, it will be a very good year and possibly this team will go deep into the playoffs.
2018 draft class is already an A+++ with Jimmy GQ for just a 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Looks like the makings of a really, really good class. On a team this bereft of talent nailing a bluechip prospect and a bunch of solid starters is really a dream scenario.

Gonna do a + and - for each guy for his first year, just for fun

Solomon Thomas: + Great Hustle Player / - Lack of push and pressure in pass rush
Reuben Foster: + Vicious hitter and great in run support / - Gets washed out and always banged up
Ahkello Witherspoon: + Great some plays and surprisingly competent tackler / + Gets beat deep sometimes, which ain't good for this scheme
C.J. Beathard: + Takes a hit really well / - Holds the ball too long, and doesn't throw a football very well
Joe Williams: + N/A / - Showed up out of shape with fumbleitis and study problems.
George Kittle: + Great athleticism / - Not yet the blocker he was advertised as
Trent Taylor: + Chain mover from the slot / - Occasional dropsies, and phantom penalty magnet
D.J. Jones: + Held POA well in limited snaps early / Off the 46 in the back half of the year
Pita Taumoepenu: + Is fast or something / - I guess is fast or something
Adrian Colbert: + Heat seeker in run support and a dart from middle thirds in coverage / - small sample size, gets nicked up, and doesn't wrap up
Victor Bolden: + Some returns sparks in pre-season / - was a waste of roster spot in the regular season
Kendrick Bourne: + Was open more than his stats show / - Never fully beat out Louis Murphy despite Murphy's ineffective and bonehead play
Matt Breida: Great quicks and good scheme fit / Doesn't do much beyond first contact

PJ, well done. Very fair.

Your analysis of Pita Taumoepenu is spot-on lol
If this years draft is close to last years we are headed to great things. We had so many rookies play this year I'm excited about the future
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by contrarios:
Great draft! Six starters or solid contributors - Thomas, Foster, Witherspoon, Taylor, Kittle, Colbert, maybe more depending on how the rest of the class develops.

I was tired of Baalke's drafts where we would get a couple of players who couldn't get off the bench and a couple of players on IR. Remember Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas?

Yep, absolutely Horrible. AJ Jenkins level horrible.

To be fair, thomas and martin were highly rated coming out of college. I was tired of the IR players like that 3rd round CB in 2016 or trading up to get Garnett.
  • KPaul
  • Veteran
Looks like a good group to start a rebuild.

Ahkello was a pleasant surprise. Didn't think he had it in him with the one and done comment he made and his aspiration to becoming a doctor/surgeon.

Saying Joe Williams is a possible miss, b/c he got hurt is ridiculous.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

Hey we got some positive news recently
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

He's a possible miss because they had to redshirt him for a whole year. I don't buy that he had anything more than minor injury issues but they couldnt just cut a guy that they moved up for so he got stashed.

He was certainly the most disappointing draft pick. Showed up out of shape, struggled pass blocking, couldnt stop putting the ball on the ground.....this offseason will be his last chance to get it together.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's a possible miss because they had to redshirt him for a whole year. I don't buy that he had anything more than minor injury issues but they couldnt just cut a guy that they moved up for so he got stashed.

He was certainly the most disappointing draft pick. Showed up out of shape, struggled pass blocking, couldnt stop putting the ball on the ground.....this offseason will be his last chance to get it together.

I agree...i'd love for Joe to turn into another Terrell Davis(with a longer career) for us but facts are facts...he was a HC pound the table pick and went on the IR with one of those injuries...

No question if the team was really excited about what he brought to the table they wouldn't IR him. Ditto with Josh Garnett.

Both of those guys right now in my book should not be counted on to do ANYTHING.

RB should be high on the draft priority and what a RB class it is...
G should be high in FA and the draft and what a G class it is...

If Williams and Garnett come in to camp and win the starting job then that's awesome! Great depth and possible trade value for the backups.

Last thing I want to see is the assumption that these guys are quality players and they continue to suck/fail to grasp the scheme/fumble...whatever it may be and we're left with another liability at key positions.
  • bvc49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
2018 draft class is already an A+++ with Jimmy GQ for just a 2nd round pick.

Yes
Share 49ersWebzone