There are 150 users in the forums

What's Jimmy worth?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's Jimmy worth?

Originally posted by susweel:
Its a difficult question although he has played well but not great the sample size is also small. There are things that he needs to improve on like accuracy on the deeper throws also the interceptions are also kind of high.

I'd placed the franchise tag on him let him prove it for a whole year before you pay somebody a hundred million dollars that's only started five games for you.

He lit up the #1 passing defense in the league last week.

I respect your opinion and all but I'm glad you're not running this franchise. Your proposal is exactly how we end up in a Kirk Cousins/Redskins situation.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Its a difficult question although he has played well but not great the sample size is also small. There are things that he needs to improve on like accuracy on the deeper throws also the interceptions are also kind of high.

I'd placed the franchise tag on him let him prove it for a whole year before you pay somebody a hundred million dollars that's only started five games for you.

Your plan will cost the Niners way more

So what, its better to pay more and be sure.

I don't know man. Its hard to imagine the skill sets he's displayed are a fluke. In five straight games he's displayed consistent accuracy, poise, leadership, field vision and about the best touch throws I've seen. All of this was done with one of the worst offensive lines in football, no receiving threat, and about a month to study the playbook.

I would agree with you if he was winning games with hail mary's and qb scrambles, but he's not. You can't credit the defense for the wins or close fluky games. Dude just wacked the Jags D with a WR core that was helpless before he started.

I agree its rare to be able to be so certain so soon about the QB position, but in this case its like watching AP or Gore for the first time. You just see something special.
  • thl408
More than Stafford should be the starting point for negotiations. He's worth whatever he wants to be worth.

The offense with out Jimmy was like a 320 ypg 16 ppg offense. With Jimmy it was a 410 ypg 28+ ppg offense. In fact, if you take the third of a season Jimmy played and projection a full year, the niners would have led the nfl in yards and passing yards and finished second in first downs and points. That's with average WRs and a below average OL. Not to mention, the entire offense still hasn't been fully installed. It's remarkable.

I say let the franchise number set the yearly salary but try for a 4-5 year deal.
Originally posted by thl408:
More than Stafford should be the starting point for negotiations. He's worth whatever he wants to be worth.

Yup, plus they also have to factor in what he is worth to us. He revived a struggling franchise that was hopeless before he arrived. We need him more than he needs us.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 1, 2018 at 3:17 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Yup, plus they also have to factor in what he is worth to us. He revived a struggling franchise that was hopeless before he arrived. We need him more than he needs us.

The bolded.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
QBs are hard to come by so he's worth breaking the bank. I'm sure the Browns or Cards would break the bank for him. 5 year $150 million seems fair these days...$75 million garaunteed
Especially living in the Bay Area so cost of living adjustment
[ Edited by Chico on Jan 1, 2018 at 3:21 PM ]

Best way to s**t all over what we've accomplished in the last 6 weeks would be to nickle and dime jimmy and then end up franchising him. Just pay the guy, even if its a little bit more than u want to.
  • HERN
  • Veteran

It's the NFL dude. Nothing is ever a sure thing.

Unless you're friends with Satan like the Patriots.
He has displayed everything youd want in a QB, not to mention going 5-0 with a roster that went 1-9 without him.

Tagging him would just cost more in the long run. Pay him now and lets get this thing going.

• dj43

The franchise tag will not have the same juice with FAs as to have a long term deal in place.
Like A Rodgers contract, whatever you pay him will be a bargain 4-5 years down the road. Salaries will just keep rising so why wait? Lock him up and front load the contract while you have an abundance of cap room so they can keep the rest of the team stocked with top talent down the road. I'm sure Paraage can structure it so if he turns out to be below average ( yeah that ain't going to happen) they won't destroy their future.

I agree, let's see how he handles adversity like losing a game.

Shanny had Matt Ryan looking like a hall of famer. We should be sure JG isnt just another flash in the pan.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Best way to s**t all over what we've accomplished in the last 6 weeks would be to nickle and dime jimmy and then end up franchising him. Just pay the guy, even if its a little bit more than u want to.

Yeah. We have the cap space and no big contracts coming anytime soon.

I'm reminded of the documentary about how Orlando magic lost shaq. The FO was Basically playing negotiating games instead of sucking his nards and paying him the market value.

Remember we were rooting for number one pick a month ago. Now we have playoff run hopes and a possible face of the nfl. That costs money.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 1, 2018 at 4:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone