LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Roster Outlook Going into 2018

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great Post! I agree with almost everything except for a few things.

1. Center has been our worst position and Kilgore needs to be the first player cut this offseason. Tomlinson and Fusco at times look like decent backups while Kilgore seems to be playing with ice skates 99% of the time.

2. "Mitchell is a stout vet who plays the run well." I disagree with this minus that one play in Houston I think he's been average at best and adds zero pass rushing ability or the ability to push the pocket. I think we have great depth at this position but no one worth being a true starter at NT in base(maybe Day or Jones develops into that). Not a huge need but a solid player at NT could be huge for us IMO. I'm not sure how MLB is considered a bigger need than DT for this team. Does Malcolm Smith really have less upside than Earl Mitchell?

3. I think Ronald Blair should be a keep 100%. I know he is another "tweener" but every time is see him play he flashes and just makes plays. We also need to trade Armstead at some point as well because clearly, he isn't in our plans going forward.
Originally posted by 49erforlife:
Ummm we need a RB as well. Not sold on Hyde...

Any of you remember Hyde's first few games with the Niners?

That opener in Dallas, that TD in AZ....I think the run against the Saints that year too.

Of course that Vikings opener in 2015.

I still believe Hyde is an RB with "it factor". Closer to Todd Gurley than a JAG.

Hyde played with more OL and WR talent his rookie year as a backup than any time since. It would be nice to reward him with some OL and WRs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by darockzillahitman:
Interior offensive line is not a good value position for earlier rounds in the draft. It's mainly a scheme and execution position. That's how Denver was able to trot out journeymen and open gaping holes in the late 90s/early 00s.

Here's another reminder: This was the 49ers' 1998 offensive line - where Garrison Hearst set a then-franchise record 1570 yards rushing no 5.1 yards per carry - in terms of where they were drafted when they came out:

LT: Dave Fiore (UDFA)
LG: Ray Brown (8th round)
C: Chris Dalman (6th round)
RG: Kevin Gogan (8th round)
RT: Derrick Deese (UDFA)

(Kirk Scrafford, UDFA)

And this is every bit as true today as it was back then. The Patriots have had a revolving door of crap on the offensive line and done fine.

This doesn't mean you don't tinker with the offensive line a little, but there's no way you waste a 1st round pick on freak'n Quentin Nelson with the needs this team has at other positions.

I think it's a bit misleading to only use drafted round as an indicator of talent for OL. 1998 was a very different time in the NFL and in college where players were farmed. This was a McKittrick coach OL and McKittrick you have to put up there with Walsh. McKittrick taught Shanahan and Holgrem how to run the WCO and Jon Gruden also says he learned the most football from him. Legendary coach who definitely had a gift to see and notice athleticism over size, despite working with Kevin Gogan (ex-Dallas player with a ring). Most of these players were known quantities or had been coached and selected by McKittrick.

Agreed McKittrick could take late round picks and turn them into all-pros, but that's like having a legendary chef walk into 7-11 and still create a 5-star meal. That's crazy rare and the exception, not the rule.

Our O-Line coach (John Benton) is no McKittrick, that's for sure. I'm wondering if Kyle will upgrade any of his coaching assistants, now that his season ends early and he has the opportunity to pick up some offensive and defensive assistants from some of the possible teams that will be firing their head coaches, and letting their assistant coaches go.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
the fact arik armstead and jimmie ward are not tossed off the team i cant take this theead serious

I can see it either way with Ward and Armstead, Lynch has no connection to them, and they are marginal starter-quality players, but it may make economic sense to keep them vs. other draft picks / FA substitutes. After all, we still have Carradine and Donte Johnson this year. They'll be gone before Armstead and Ward, IMO.

All 4 of them need to be cleared off the roster.
Share 49ersWebzone